U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2009, 01:17 AM

573 posts, read 617,436 times

Advertisements

Google's netbook plans:

Google and the Linux desktop - Computerworld Blogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 01:26 AM

11,715 posts, read 36,348,910 times
Do you start any threads that aren't promoting Linux?

Old 03-15-2009, 02:35 AM

573 posts, read 617,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Do you start any threads that aren't promoting Linux?
Actually, most of my threads do not involve Linux. Here are a few in this forum:

Netbooks: biggest disadvantages - IMO: screen height
Copy backup music CDROM using ImgBurn
http://www.city-data.com/forum/compu...1h-tablet.html
46 Free Desktop Software Applications
Future trends: the death of CD and DVD media
Netbooks and small keyboards - diagonal option?
Laptop Magazine's 4 netbook editor's choices

Old 03-15-2009, 03:27 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,526,476 times
Linux will never gain market share, or even more share than what Apple has, there are just way to many distro's, it is not very user friendly, and the software being created is made for windows based and Mac based machines. This is one area why Mac has taken more time in getting to where they are now, you will not find many software company's that are willing to spend the millions to port or re wright software to work on a machine that has such a small following.

I do have a couple Linux based servers, but I will not run a Linux based desktop. I come home from work and do not want to mess with it.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:30 AM

10,755 posts, read 18,015,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
Linux will never gain market share, or even more share than what Apple has, there are just way to many distro's, it is not very user friendly, and the software being created is made for windows based and Mac based machines.
I would agree. Linux is a great OS, but it's for the geeks. Unless they can get it to a point where you don't need the command line (I needed it just recently to install an HP print driver) the average computer user isn't gonna go near it, Nor are the people (like us techs) that have to provide support going to recommend it. I mean seriously, a command line driver installer? That's 15 year old technology.

Old 03-15-2009, 10:06 AM
rfb

1,914 posts, read 5,251,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
I would agree. Linux is a great OS, but it's for the geeks. Unless they can get it to a point where you don't need the command line (I needed it just recently to install an HP print driver) the average computer user isn't gonna go near it, Nor are the people (like us techs) that have to provide support going to recommend it. I mean seriously, a command line driver installer? That's 15 year old technology.
They can get there. Just look at Apple, which uses a Unix OS for their Mac. Much nicer than what you can find on a Windows box. Of course, just because it can be done on Linux doesn't mean that it will be done. But I sure hope someone will.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:33 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,526,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
They can get there. Just look at Apple, which uses a Unix OS for their Mac. Much nicer than what you can find on a Windows box. Of course, just because it can be done on Linux doesn't mean that it will be done. But I sure hope someone will.
Apple has a major company developing the Mac OS, most Linux distros are done by non profit organizations. The problem getting Linux to a more modern GUI is well... lack of cohesion between developers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers