Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2009, 07:39 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry that I am about to mangle the "computer terms". I have a Dell laptop and normally I love it. Once in awhile, like right now, my mouse(?) doesn't want to work. It's the control in the middle below my keyboard. It's finger touch. Anyway every so often it doesn't want to move my arrow when I want the arrow to move.

I hope this is clear. Any ideas on what needs to be done to fix this? It has done this "sometimes" for over a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 08:18 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Well my first thought was it's a short trip.

But....

That behavior can be attributed to how heavy the load is on the computer. If a virus scan is running, you're on the Internet, Word and Excel are both open, and email is downloading, all at the same time, your computer is working hard. The mouse takes the back seat and has to wait it's turn. A wired mouse will do the same thing.

Old 03-17-2009, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Well my first thought was it's a short trip.

But....

That behavior can be attributed to how heavy the load is on the computer. If a virus scan is running, you're on the Internet, Word and Excel are both open, and email is downloading, all at the same time, your computer is working hard. The mouse takes the back seat and has to wait it's turn. A wired mouse will do the same thing.
Same load. It started first thing this morning when I turned it on. It's not slow I just can't move the mouse(pad) around.

Old 03-17-2009, 08:28 AM

Has it been continuous or intermittent?

Old 03-17-2009, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Has it been continuous or intermittent?
Once it starts it is continuous. I just shut down to fold laundry, came back,turned the computer on again and it is a little better. Later it will most likely be fine. Maybe it's the button(pad)? Then it will be fine for a couple of weeks and then it starts acting up again but only for a day or so.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:17 AM

573 posts, read 801,307 times
You did not indicate what versions of Windows you are using. I had a similar problem that turned out to be a runaway Window Help process. I decided just to disable the Windows Help Service. The problem went away.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:44 AM

Check the sensitivity

Start/Control Panel/Mouse

I think..

I have mine turned off because I can't work on the laptop with it on. As a result it doesn't show up in Control Panel.

I hold my hands as far away as possible when I type and the cursor still moves. If I turn the sensitivity any lower it won't respond to my finger. Very frustrating so I use a USB mouse.

Newegg.com - Microsoft Wireless Notebook Optical Mouse 3000 - Mouse

This is the one I use. The USB connector plugs into the back of the mouse and turns it off so the battery doesn't run down so fast. My wife and I both use them. I have large hands, hers are small and it fits both of us quite well.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:21 AM

23,595 posts, read 70,391,434 times
Touchpads are often problematic. Get a USB mouse and turn the touchpad off.

Old 03-17-2009, 06:02 PM

712 posts, read 2,145,898 times
Yep, you could have a bad touch.. you also as stated above can have background programs (unlikely but possible)

The simple test is yes to get pop in a external mouse.. (though maybe not the cheapest) if you have background programs.. you're going to have eliminate the one(s) causing it.. I have a guide buried in a thread but you'll have to search for it or ask me for a url.. (should this be the cause)

I highly recommend if you have Bluetooth onboard to pick up a Bluetooth wireless mouse.. also microsoft's latest mouse.. has a very small USB wireless presence.. and it's important when you jack things into the USB slot that when you move the laptop on battery you don't ram those into doors, counters etc. or you break the wireless part of a wireless mouse.. (lost more bluetooth dongles then I care to count)

Old 03-17-2009, 07:17 PM

Thank you all for the replies. Now everything is back to normal. I will have to have my DH read your replies and see if he can fix it.

Thank you
Lisa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers