U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 07:24 AM

11,726 posts, read 11,309,113 times

Advertisements

Wait a Minute. Isn't a Satellite a laptop? That changes everything. It is certainly possible that there is a limited availability of parts that will physically fit in the modular bay of any one particular model of laptop. It is also possible that you could get by just as cheaply with an external unit. If your machine is 4-5 years old, it may be that parts are in limited supply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 08:49 AM

28,622 posts, read 40,604,922 times
Yeah, now we find out it's a laptop.

If they haven't yet I would have the shop plug in an external drive and test it first before buying. Just because....

Old 03-18-2009, 10:03 AM

668 posts, read 1,927,850 times
The Disc says CD right on it... so, I know that the Turbo Tax is a CD and not a DVD. And they put the Norton Anti-Virus in, via an external disc drive, and wanted to sell me one for 80 bucks, but, I can buy one cheaper, or even a DVD Burner for cheaper than 80 bucks with free shipping and handling! So, all I have to know is...Whats the new technology?

I may end up buying from them anyways, if I cant find out what the new process is...so that I can ask both places if the thing I want to buy 'has' it in it.,..

Thanks for your help.

May the LORD Bless each of you.

I wish you well...

Jesse

Old 03-18-2009, 12:08 PM

16,308 posts, read 25,267,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkingmenace View Post
The Disc says CD right on it... so, I know that the Turbo Tax is a CD and not a DVD.
That logo means that it conforms to a standard, and as such even the oldest CD-ROM drives should be able to read it, assuming the drive still is working.

What operating system are you running?

Do other CD's work?

The "new technology" the shop was going about is their attempt to separate you from some of your money. I would not return to that shop, they should not be trusted.

Old 03-18-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
..... The "new technology" the shop was going about is their attempt to separate you from some of your money. I would not return to that shop, they should not be trusted.
Dang! I was waiting to find out what that "new Technology" was. Of course, I remember when Microsoft sold us something called "New Technology" that had me really underwhelmed.

Old 03-18-2009, 04:27 PM

18,543 posts, read 55,469,830 times
"New technology" is a car payment. If your computer reads other CDs, and this is a CD, then the logic tree says... Try the CD in a different computer. There is a reasonable chance you have a bad CD.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:19 PM

I called the computer repair shop and ordered the cd disc drive. He told me that a new process in how they 'burn' the disc, and that my old drive wouldnt keep up with it, (actually, it just wont read whats on the disc), so, I told him to go an order me a new one.

I dont want to order something that wont be compatable to the new discs..and since he will guarantee me that this will work with my computer, I will pay the 90 bucks for the drive, even though, I could take a chance and get one that is a lot cheaper, but, I dont know what it would do.

So, thanks to all those who have replied. My dilema will be over in 3-5 days when its delivered.

I wish you well...

Jesse

Old 03-20-2009, 01:21 AM

16,308 posts, read 25,267,295 times
There are no "new" CD's, the format us unchanged, that is because it is a standard. Perhaps your drive is bad, and you need a replacement, but I am disappointed that you are giving these people your business, when they are clearly taking advantage of your lack of understand about your computer.

A CD drive is a CD drive is a CD drive, they must ALL operate based on industry standards, unlike this shop which appears to have very few standards and take advantage of those that don't understand the technology and are too trusting.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:19 AM

Gotta agree with Asheville on this one. You could have bought an external (USB connected DVD burner for about $60 that would do anything the drive they sold you could do (and maybe more).

Old 03-20-2009, 08:59 AM

I know, and I appreciate all the help you guys have been... But, the Wife is insisting that I get this Turbo Tax done NOW, and you know how that is, with Wives...if they say NOW...it meant yesterday, and if you dont get it done, so they can get thier mitts on the money coming back to me, she is going to have a coniption fit, and I am going to be the target of that coniption! LOL!

I actually thought about getting a DVD burner, (always wanted one, but I cant put my Home Videos on them anyways as I dont have the connections on this thing for a VHS thing to go to the DVD and make discs...so, its a good thing I have a DVD burner and a VHS player side by side, so I can copy all those home movies and the Wife is STILL on my case, because I am not getting to it fast enough, (been copying 7th Heaven onto discs so that I can watch it over and over again...Best show there ever was in my opinion, that is wholesome and healthy in this day and age).

I talked to the guy yesterday and he said its in the burning process, the way they make discs now, the reason why my machine wouldnt recognise it, because its too old, and technology has passed me by. Be it ever so, if I dont get that tax form done soon, my Wife is going to be hard to live with, and so far, she has been a pretty good gal, so, why rock the boat, eh?

Thanks again guys and gals...

I wish you well...

Jesse
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or