U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2009, 01:09 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,076,149 times

Advertisements

Has anyone used Mozy to backup to hard-drive? What reviews do you give it? Do you need tons of memory?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 05:37 PM

28,645 posts, read 40,622,302 times
I have two clients that use it and think its great. I don't recall the memory requirements, but if you go to their website it should be on there.

I also have a client using Carbonite and he likes it. I lean towards Mozy after seeing both in operation.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:27 PM

231 posts, read 575,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylalou View Post
Has anyone used Mozy to backup to hard-drive? What reviews do you give it? Do you need tons of memory?
Do a Google search for Mozy/Carbonite reviews. I did and decided not to use either. The reviews were not that good for either.

Old 03-17-2009, 08:36 PM

5,585 posts, read 10,095,186 times
I've been happy enough with Mozy, it backs up files quickly and regularly. I haven't had to retrieve anything yet (knock on wood) so I can't speak to its ease of use in that regard.

The amount of memory use depends on how much you have to back up, but that will be true for any service.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:02 PM

830 posts, read 2,597,255 times
Look at Elephant Drive as well. I spent a good amount of time researching online backup services and Elephant Drive had the best deal when I was looking. $99 for a year, unlimited storage for up to 4 machines, works in the background without a hitch and is easy to access your files from any machine with an Internet connection.

Old 05-31-2009, 12:32 PM

231 posts, read 575,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoman View Post
Look at Elephant Drive as well. I spent a good amount of time researching online backup services and Elephant Drive had the best deal when I was looking. $99 for a year, unlimited storage for up to 4 machines, works in the background without a hitch and is easy to access your files from any machine with an Internet connection.
I took your suggestion and signed up with Elephant Drive. Very happy. It works as advertized.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:27 AM

3,446 posts, read 6,643,218 times
I use Mozy and think it's great. I pay $5/Mo (actually $55/Yr - when signing up for one year, one month is free) for unlimited space, but they also offer free backup with a 2GB space limit.

The original backup takes a long time regardless of your upload speed because their server limits the transfer speed. It may even take days depending on the amount of backup space you need. I originally uploaded about 5GB, which took me about 10 hours. I know some people have uploaded 50GB or more that took a week. However, once you backup your original files the automatic backup (for changes and additions) only takes a few minutes, if not mere seconds. You can configure your setup to backup whatever files you wish, including applications...it's up to you. Also, you can setup the automatic backup to take place whenever you like...and backup manually whenever you wish.

Mozy's application is extremely easy to setup on your PC. I've had no problems whatsoever with it.

I have used external backup drives and have never been pleased with them for various reasons. It's nice to know that all my files are "remotely" safe and can be recovered anytime I wish in case a hard drive crashes or a catastrophic event destroys the PC. Also, another nice feature Mozy offers is they can burn DVDs of your files and send them to you via Fed-X in case you replace a hard drive or buy a new PC and want to load your files quickly instead of downloading many GBs of files from their server.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers