U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 06:16 AM

10,755 posts, read 18,015,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
Jack,

I just ordered a new MB/CPU/RAM combo for one of my computers.

I got an intel 2ghz core duo, the board, and 2 gigs of ram for $150.

Look at a local computer shop or newegg.com

If you replace just the motherboard, CPU, and RAM, you can keep your current hard disk, cd-rom, etc.
The problem with that is a reinstall or repair of the OS will be needed, which the OP won't be able to do as the HP recovery discs will not function on a non HP motherboard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 10:17 AM

712 posts, read 1,963,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post

I just ordered a new MB/CPU/RAM combo for one of my computers.

I got an intel 2ghz core duo, the board, and 2 gigs of ram for $150.

Look at a local computer shop or newegg.com

If you replace just the motherboard, CPU, and RAM, you can keep your current hard disk, cd-rom, etc. .
There are a lot more problems than just that.. but here's the list

- People who don't know what a "cpu" is should not just go and take up the hobby of building a new computer... especially when fully made desktops can likely be purchased used or new as low as $200 really

- 2nd as already pointed out.. but I'll do it again.. the person will need a copy of xp edition that they have to perform a repair install or the 2nd they plug that hard drive in the box will immediately crash on boot (unless they get lucky and go intel to intel chipset or such) (I assume there not running 2k/98/ME well within range of 9 years)

- 3rdly there is form factor.. many of hp's use micro-atx some are even proprietary.. to go and tell someone to buy a full length ATX motherboard when it won't fit is quite suspect.. on top of which most modern computers require brand new connectors from ATX power supplies such as 12V rail and a 9 year old computer may not have that..

For this computer user.. I have only one suggestion.. fix your current problems with your computer or buy a new one.. I'd be happy to elaborate on those points if you like..

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 03-19-2009 at 11:47 AM..

Old 03-23-2009, 10:12 PM

9,114 posts, read 15,821,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by themaster View Post
[especially when fully made desktops can likely be purchased used or new as low as $200 really[/font][/color]

..[/font][/color]
I've looked on craigslist for used computers and have seen them in the $100-$150 range. However, other than physically inspecting it, are there any specifications that I should look out for? (ie how much ram?)....I know that my current computer (HP Pavilion 7850 (128MB; 933MHz) is extremely slow.

I have Time Warner roadrunner and the computer will be used mostly for internet poker, also for my kids to surf Nickjr.com and other kids sites....

Any suggestions on buying used? thanks

Old 03-24-2009, 12:42 AM

1,940 posts, read 8,307,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
The problem with that is a reinstall or repair of the OS will be needed, which the OP won't be able to do as the HP recovery discs will not function on a non HP motherboard.
yes that is correct. i didn't think about that.

CouponJack,

It might be worth a shot to at least call a local computer shop. I know many of ours keep older components on hand that have been stripped out of rebuilt machines. They will sell and install them for someone who just needs a basic computer to complete simple tasks.

As for specs; if you're using itunes, expect anything less than a 2ghz processor and 1gig of ram to get bogged down running the program. and i say that from experience.

it will work, but it will be slow. itunes runs in the background also when you start your computer up.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:46 AM

11,878 posts, read 33,816,042 times
I just bought an entirely new laptop for 350 with3 gig of RAM and a 1.6 GHZ processer and 160 GB hard drive. Now, you probably don't want a laptop but that could be an option.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:49 AM

9,114 posts, read 15,821,715 times
Thanks guys!

Old 03-26-2009, 01:06 AM

712 posts, read 1,963,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Any suggestions on buying used? thanks

For a price range of $100-200.. I would suggest getting Dual or better core (probably the only real advancement in speed for computing by my comparison..) you can focus on factors like DDR2 as well.. (high bus speed = generally the better)

I would just make sure for that price range the computer is no older than 2007 or 1-2 years old..

You can buy online from geeks at these places/forums (hard to say if they’ll ship a whole computer cheap though.. could be $40 if not in your area)
anandtech.com (Buy/sell forum) (this is where I bought my 3rd/4th used computer in 2001-2002 or so..)
arstechnica.com (classifieds)
hardforum.com

Additionally.. if you want to buy new and you want a deal.. go to these forums..
anandtech.com (hot deals)
fatwallet.com
slickdeals.net
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers