U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 09:11 PM

9,114 posts, read 15,821,715 times

Advertisements

I really need to put my HP Pavilion 7850 out to pasture. The thing is 9 yrs old and only accepts a max of 256 RAM....

I have to delete the temp files every time I log off and it takes approx 3-4 minutes for the computer to start up. I only have a couple poker gaming sites, Itunes, & a couple other programs loaded on my machine.....

My monitor works great, I have a very good all-in-one printer (which I can't use because when I installed the software, it froze my computer), and I have a nice keyboard.

I just need some new brains (CPU)......

I went to Best buy and office max and didn't realize they don't sell this "seperate" from the monitor and keyboard....shows you how much I know.

Funds are tight, however I want a decent computer. Is my best bet to buy a CPU off of Craigslist? thanks for any advice....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 09:22 PM

1,940 posts, read 8,307,443 times
a new CPU isn't going to do you much good in a 9 year old motherboard. it will most likely be difficult to even find a 'new' CPU that your current board will accept.

You need to find a good motherboard/CPU combo, and enough ram to handle whatever it is you do.

i have itunes also and its a resource hog.

your machine would probably run much faster without it.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
a new CPU isn't going to do you much good in a 9 year old motherboard. it will most likely be difficult to even find a 'new' CPU that your current board will accept.

You need to find a good motherboard/CPU combo, and enough ram to handle whatever it is you do.

Please excuse my ignorance on this (just go w/me here...)

isn't the CPU the whole enchilada? The big machine the has usb ports, accepts cd's/dvd's and where you plug everything into? Isn't that what my HP 7850 is?

I'm getting confused on what the difference you mean between the cpu and the motherboard/cpu combo is.....I thought the motherboard was INSIDE the big CPU....?

Old 03-17-2009, 10:05 PM

28,645 posts, read 40,622,302 times
Go to Walmart.

Walmart.com: eMachines EL1200-07w Desktop PC w/ AMD Athlon 2650e Processor: Computers

Go to Office Depot

Antec Basiq BP500U power supply 500 Watt by Office Depot

Take the power supply out of the eMachine and replace it with the Antec from Office Depot.

Come here and ask questions if you are nervous about swapping the power supply. We'll get you through it.

Do not buy the eMachine and leave the cheap piece of junk power supply in it. It will burn out and take the motherboard with it.

New PC $360.00

Old 03-18-2009, 06:26 AM

10,755 posts, read 18,015,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Please excuse my ignorance on this (just go w/me here...)

isn't the CPU the whole enchilada? The big machine the has usb ports, accepts cd's/dvd's and where you plug everything into? Isn't that what my HP 7850 is?

I'm getting confused on what the difference you mean between the cpu and the motherboard/cpu combo is.....I thought the motherboard was INSIDE the big CPU....?
Technically no, that is a computer. The CPU and motherboard are parts inside the computer

Old 03-18-2009, 09:04 AM

A lot of my clients refer to the "box", or computer as the CPU. The CPU (Central Processing Unit) is the big chip with a fan on top of it that is the "brains" of the computer. The CPU plugs into the motherboard.

CPU:

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k315/Tek_Freek/CPU.jpg (broken link)

Motherboard:

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k315/Tek_Freek/motherboard.jpg (broken link)

Old 03-18-2009, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
a

You are correct, however even before my wife put itunes on it, it still was pretty slow....

It was free from a relative and served me well for a couple of years. Its time to upgrade......... the problem is knowing exactly what would suit me well for the future...

Old 03-18-2009, 09:05 PM

Define "tight funds" please.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Define "tight funds" please.
Lowest price I saw is around $300 for "bottom of the barrel" I guess..

I was hoping to pay in the $150 range, but the only way it seems I'll get to that price point is if I buy something privately (used) off of Craigslist....correct?

Old 03-18-2009, 10:07 PM

1,940 posts, read 8,307,443 times
Jack,

I just ordered a new MB/CPU/RAM combo for one of my computers.

I got an intel 2ghz core duo, the board, and 2 gigs of ram for $150.

Look at a local computer shop or newegg.com

If you replace just the motherboard, CPU, and RAM, you can keep your current hard disk, cd-rom, etc. .

Just make sure your current power supply is adequate and has the same connector, and that the board connects to IDE hard drives; a couple of new computers I have only came w/ SATA ports, which i can safely assume you don't have.

Quote:
the problem is knowing exactly what would suit me well for the future...
yes, that is a definite challenge.

if you do get something at the bottom of the performance scale in today's standards, it will be outdated by next year. but as long as your habits stay the same, it should serve you well for the next 3-5 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers