U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 05:14 PM

12,120 posts, read 28,974,424 times

Advertisements

On my work computer when i went to check my home e mail messages on mail2web.com and my ISP's web mail (I actually use mail2web more often) i got instead a big message saying such website was causing a virus, and mentioned something about spyware, and corrupting information, and all day long a series of pop-ups pertaining to viruses infecting the work computer had been bugging me all day. Everytime i shut them off they came back on minutes later. When i tried to go to other websites I usually go to sometimes I got the mention about spyware and corrupt info, other times they were OK, but the mail2web and my isp sites could not be accessed at all due to that big message about corruption and spyware

I did not mention the problem to my company administrator yet(cos he's a bully). Is it possible other employees experienced this too? Or is it possible my use of the mail2web site caused damage?

our regular office professional programs were not affected

is it possible the company is simply installing spyware and is causing the pop- ups?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 06:27 AM

10,755 posts, read 18,015,770 times
You got a message from what? What was generating the virus message? Companies don't install pop up advert software on their own computers.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:15 AM

11,750 posts, read 11,317,384 times
Sounds like the alerts associated with AntiVirus2009 / AntiVirus360 type stuff. If so, you probably need to clean it off or have somebody clean it off. If that IS what the alert is for, it is a rogue piece of malware generating false positives from a fake scan and, if you click on the buttons, will end up trying to sell you some useless software to clean up problems on you computer that don't exist. In past threads we have recommended using Malwarebytes' Antimalware and Spybot Search & Destroy to remove the rogue.

Old 03-20-2009, 05:21 PM

Default yes mensa guy

you live up to your screenname i believe that's exactly what it was. but i'm a bit paranoid because don't know if my continually going to mail2web.com to check my home e mail from the office caused a virus(according to what this message said) or someone at the job is trying to prevent me from checking my home e mails

yesterday i could not check my e mails on mail2web because i kept getting that odd error message although other websites i could access intermittently but mail2web i could not access at all

how would i word it to the computer guys at work tell them there's anti-virus pop-ups infecting my computer and ask them to get rid of it?

Old 03-21-2009, 08:32 AM

It's not a virus and the scan results are not real. It's spyware and it hits computers that are not being misused on the Internet. It is nothing more than another routine problem that tech support people have to deal with as a part of their normal routines. There are a couple of other threads on here dealing with the same problem.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:38 PM

19,020 posts, read 25,933,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
you live up to your screenname i believe that's exactly what it was. but i'm a bit paranoid because don't know if my continually going to mail2web.com to check my home e mail from the office caused a virus(according to what this message said) or someone at the job is trying to prevent me from checking my home e mails

yesterday i could not check my e mails on mail2web because i kept getting that odd error message although other websites i could access intermittently but mail2web i could not access at all

how would i word it to the computer guys at work tell them there's anti-virus pop-ups infecting my computer and ask them to get rid of it?
That's a rogueware you have there. I think I have seen it on my home pc before.

It goes by several names called Antivirus2009, 2008 etc. It appears as microsoft's very own and integrates itself in your control panel. If you hit the control panel, you will see it sitting along with the rest.

It starts scanning your pc sporadically and posts a virus log, a fake report listing non-existent viruses.

The intent is to scare you and make you subscribe and buy their pro version.

You pay, you buy and the message goes away for a while, end of story. But it's a scam. It's not a real virus which will ruin your hard drive. It's a wicked way of making you buy.

This has been created by a rogue Russian firm called Bakasoftware. Either proper Russian or from one of the ex-Soviet states. They are all lawless and it's absolutely impossible to track and bring them to justice.

Word has it that they have earned more than 100,000$ in 2008 alone, by scaring people into getting their pro version.

The fix: Go to:
Malwarebytes.org

The anti-malware software listed on top will throw this rogue out. It will cost you 29 to 30$. You need to buy this. Nothing on earth can remove this rogue, not even Norton.

You probably need to hurry for this can infect other computers in the network and will become a bigger problem for you with your difficult system admin guy.

Hopefully you have the priveleges to install this anti-malware.

The scan takes place for a long time.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:03 AM

16,308 posts, read 25,273,417 times
I suspect that your IT dept would like to know about anything that might threaten their computers and network.

Have you communicated the symptoms with anyone in IT, or are you hesitating because checking personal emails is not an approved usage of your companies computers? You refer to them as 'the company bully', is this because they have implemented and attempt to enforce measures to protect the company's resources, primarily the company network, and the data on the network.

Granted acting like a bully is not the best approach for the administrator to keep the system secure, but if that is their approach, that is your reality, and you need to work within that reality or elsewhere. The reasons behind some computer use restrictions may not be obvious to the average employee, but it does not mean there is not a valid reason behind it.

I would not allow a user to check personal emails because it circumvents the protections I have implemented on the company mail server. Your could be comprising the company.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post
..... The fix: Go to: Malwarebytes.org

The anti-malware software listed on top will throw this rogue out. It will cost you 29 to 30$. You need to buy this. Nothing on earth can remove this rogue, not even Norton. .....
I disagree. Obviously, something CAN remove it. Several of us here have posted repeatedly how we have done it. I did it last time I had to deal with this rogue by first downloading, installing, updating and running the FREE MalwareBytes Antimalware program, then doing the same thing with Spybot Search & Destroy, then rebooting the PC.

I don't know if Norton has a product that will remove it or not. I generally don't use Norton products.

One thing that makes this program look legitimate is that the icon it uses looks just like the one Microsoft developed for the Security Center in the Control Panel.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:31 AM

19,020 posts, read 25,933,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I disagree. Obviously, something CAN remove it. Several of us here have posted repeatedly how we have done it. I did it last time I had to deal with this rogue by first downloading, installing, updating and running the FREE MalwareBytes Antimalware program, then doing the same thing with Spybot Search & Destroy, then rebooting the PC.

I don't know if Norton has a product that will remove it or not. I generally don't use Norton products.

One thing that makes this program look legitimate is that the icon it uses looks just like the one Microsoft developed for the Security Center in the Control Panel.
Free version will obviously remove it, one time. The purchase updates the anti-malware version every day, does an automatic scan and id's rogues out without much fuss on your side. The daily definition update is vital, which is why I recommended the paid version

I have not used spybot. I bought malware and solved my problem.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:36 PM

Default no actually

asheville native i discussed this with the bully yesterday and he told me there was likely a virus. there was a small show balloon indicating a virus but it was running much better than before. i was able to access my e mails. even the bully doesn't care where people go on the internet, he just tells people to watch their intra e mail etiquette because someone was recently fired for sending an inflammatory message to a supervisor

asheville i've been at this company almost 20 years, if they had an issue with me checking my e mails they would just tell me and others to put a stop to it. and fyi i avoid the bully not because i am hiding my e mail checkings but because i dislike him and so does everyone else. no one wants to deal with him about anything. checking e mails is nothing compared to what some people have been fired for at my company
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or