U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 11:54 AM

4,334 posts, read 12,347,186 times

Advertisements

I am getting a new laptop but have just installed Norton 09 on this old laptop a few months ago. Can I use the Norton 09 disc to install it on my new laptop? Or do I have to spend another 100 bucks for a new one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 01:20 PM

28,645 posts, read 40,622,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Too little too late IMHO, I still will not touch it nor recommend it.
Having gone through a number of other programs over the last two years (in an effort to find one that was worth a damn) I would say that is your loss. NIS 2009 really is that good. You shouldn't write them off simply because of past experience. I always look for what gives me the best, and least obtrusive protection, I don't care who makes it.

I like it better than Trend Micro or ZoneAlarm, which were the previously high-rated packages I tested.

Old 03-21-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
I am getting a new laptop but have just installed Norton 09 on this old laptop a few months ago. Can I use the Norton 09 disc to install it on my new laptop? Or do I have to spend another 100 bucks for a new one?
Depends.

When you bought Norton was a single license or 3 license version? If three then you can have it on both. If one then you need to remove it from the old laptop first.

Old 03-21-2009, 05:29 PM

260 posts, read 811,246 times
I just bought it online a few months ago. $59.00 and it can be put in 3 different comps. Tek_Freek is 100% correct with his comments.

Old 03-22-2009, 11:48 AM

4,334 posts, read 12,347,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Depends.

When you bought Norton was a single license or 3 license version? If three then you can have it on both. If one then you need to remove it from the old laptop first.
Thanx again Tek, I checked, it is 3!

Old 03-22-2009, 04:45 PM

7,255 posts, read 11,396,355 times
Well, I renewed last evening. I took the Norton Internet Security 2009 -3 user version. Paid $49 online and now I can install it on my kids laptops as well. Thanks for all the feedback to my original question!

Old 03-22-2009, 07:45 PM

16,308 posts, read 25,273,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Too little too late IMHO, I still will not touch it nor recommend it.
Nor will I, it has a long history of being resource hogging bloatware, and no better than (if as good) as many other options.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Nor will I, it has a long history of being resource hogging bloatware, and no better than (if as good) as many other options.
"A long history" is just that, history. Allowing yourself to miss out on an excellent product because it used to be bloatware seems a little silly.

You should read some reviews, including mine, which is found elsewhere on CD. It is short and to the point, but accurate. I've been doing this shtick for 25 years and I will not put up with junk software. As for Norton NIS 2009 I will not only "put up with it", I'll praise it.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:25 PM

16,308 posts, read 25,273,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
"A long history" is just that, history. Allowing yourself to miss out on an excellent product because it used to be bloatware seems a little silly.

You should read some reviews, including mine, which is found elsewhere on CD. It is short and to the point, but accurate. I've been doing this shtick for 25 years and I will not put up with junk software. As for Norton NIS 2009 I will not only "put up with it", I'll praise it.
And that is nothing more than your opinion. You know nothing about me, and as such you have no basis to judge my selection of software, based on your 'shtick' of berating and belittling those that don't assume your opinion is the only valid one.

Sounds like you have resorted to the same arguments of the Ford vs. Chevrolet crowd. Trust me, I am missing nothing by the fact that Norton is not sunk it tentacles into my system, thank you very much. You are free to choose which ever software you want, but the freedom does not include the right to belittle or criticize my choice not to install your 'favorite', based on my history with Norton. Perhaps it is no as bloated, but I doubt it is any better than many of it competitors.

The mentality of the company was to turn out bloatware with the assumption the masses don't know any better, shame on them, and that sir is why I will not run, nor recommend Norton, corporate agenda based on years of cranking out a bloated mediocre product.

Last edited by Asheville Native; 03-22-2009 at 09:45 PM..

Old 03-22-2009, 10:27 PM

19,020 posts, read 25,933,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Well, I renewed last evening. I took the Norton Internet Security 2009 -3 user version. Paid $49 online and now I can install it on my kids laptops as well. Thanks for all the feedback to my original question!
You did the right thing

People who discourage Norton have no idea what they are talking about or the seriousness/technical depth of some of the viruses/spyware around.

But there is one set of spyware even Norton has been unable to weed out. They came out late last year from the Russian rogue firm called Bakasoftware.

There is a software called Malwarebytes. It's the best anti-malware software to date.

A combination of Norton and Malwarebytes keeps your computer totally safe in this season. But the virus writers have been getting better, you'll never know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers