U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 11:29 AM

11,715 posts, read 36,341,277 times

Advertisements

My issue with Norton is about trusting it after it having been crap for so long. Its like when Ford and GM made such horrible cars for so long. They can tell you they're better now, but they're going to have to be REALLY good for LONG time before a lot of burned customers will even think about looking at them again. You say Norton's better now? That's great. I'll consider then again after 3-4 really good versions have come out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 11:35 AM

1,047 posts, read 2,108,357 times
Here's my tale of woe from not signing up for renewal with Norton a few years back:

Now, it may just be a coincidence, but I've had computer issues I think were caused by my software. I've been subscribing to Norton Antivirus for about five years, but let the subscription lapse because I was planning on buying a new computer and putting the latest anti-virus software on it. Within a week, it quit recognizing on of the peripherls, and over the course of four months, all the other peripherals became 'unknown devices' to the computer. A couple of weeks ago, the monitor finally died, but that was hardware related.

Although it may be a huge coincidence, I think the anti-virus software caused this right after I quit subscribing. Even after I uninstalled it, I found through web resources that Norton installs a root-kit that can't be removed.

I had no viruses on the computer, and I don't go to sites or answer e-mail that is liable to contain a virus.

After this mess, I bought a computer and run AVG on it. No problems for almost three years now.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:41 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,077,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Why do so when Avast does such a good job for me? It's free, and my computer has been virus free ever since I've installed the program.

Don't fix it if it's not broken!
I agree with you. I prefer Avast because I don't want to spend any money on an AV, but there'll always be those who prefer to pay for one reason or another.

Old 03-25-2009, 05:07 PM

573 posts, read 617,040 times
NOTE:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows virus/trojan/worm/malware problems

All this antivirus software discussion is for Windows. If you use Linux instead of Windows, antivirus software is generally not required. Some very capable free "mainstream" versions of Linux include Mepis 8.0, PCLinuxOS 2009.1, and Ubuntu 8.10. Even faster very low-resource versions of Linux include CrunchBang 8.10.02, AntiX 8.0, and TinyMe/TinyXS max.
For Windows, the site below contains a 2009 20-product "non-free" antivirus ranking.

AntiVirus Software Review 2009 - TopTenREVIEWS :: Note that Norton and McAfee were not in the top 10.

Personally, I have never found a need for non-free antivirus software.
In fact, non-free products, in general, tend to be slower, more bloated resource hogs than free versions.

This site (December 2008) lists (not in rank order) 7 good "free" antivirus products.

7 Great Free Anti-virus Software for Windows | Web About Money

Unfortunately, even "free" antivirus software tends to get more bloated and "naggy" the longer it is available.
So, choosing the "best" free version is a moving target.

In the past few years, my personal "free" choice has changed as the effectiveness vs sluggishness/naggyness ratio changed.

AVG ===> AVAST ===> AVIRA (current)

Old 03-29-2009, 10:58 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,496,557 times
Well, all I know is this.... (I'm not a reviewer and this is just from experience)...

Our computers at work use Norton because our boss put it on years ago and wanted to stick with it - period. What he says, we do, so there. And yes, in all these years, we office users hated it. Our computers at work are basic machines that run XP, and still have only 512 megs of RAM up to a Max of 1 gig of RAM, and the older versions of Norton drug them down so much sometimes we would go to the bathroom and come back while waiting for stuff to load with it in the background.

When it came time to renew this time, the boss (as usual) had me go out and get the newest Norton which in this case is the Internet 2009 version I had mentioned earlier. I installed it on all the machines. Again, this is just my experience, but all of the machines now boot up faster, run faster, there's MUCH less lag time, and the scans are quicker and more intuitive as well. I don't write programs and have no idea how much "fluff" is written into the code or what the percentage ratio is of stuff it might miss, but, it IS running much much more smoothly and faster than any previous version.

At home, my last new computer came with MacAfee and I honestly was just going to leave it on since it was a 15 month freebie. Horrible. Took forever to load at bootup, stalled everything when running/loading, and the scans took forever. So I read a couple of favorable reviews about the new version of Norton, I bought/loaded up Norton 2009, and poof - just like at work, 1000% faster - more so in my case because my computer at home is more powerful than the things we use at work. I've run several full scans so far, and at the same time will be doing stuff in Photoshop or video type things, and there is no lag time in the other programs while the scan is going on.

So, like others, I've had bad experiences with past Nortons, but also like others, this 2009 version really did surprise me and I'm personally happy with it. Between it and the newer Spysweeper version, I'm about as well covered as most programs can get - they all have their weak and strong spots, anyway.

So, I see no reason for folks to actually FIGHT about a computer program. Just relay your experiences with them (honestly stating the good and bad points) and let the folks who are deciding on them read those opinions and make up their own minds.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:29 PM

830 posts, read 2,596,779 times
I went from Norton, to McAfee, to Trend Micro, and finally to NOD32. NOD32, in my opinion, is far superior to the "big 3". I've never had a problem with it, it updates silently, it scans quickly, never has a virus gotten through, it loads quickly, and uses very little resources.

All of the "big 3" had problems on occasion handling suspicious files. Sometimes I would get the message "file cannot be cleaned or quarantined". That makes me feel secure. With NOD32, I honestly have never had a single problem. A few virus alerts have popped up asking me what I want to do. I tell it, it does it.

If you do some research you'll find that Kaspersky, NOD32, and there is one other, consistently get the best detection and effectiveness ratings.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:55 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,104,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
I agree with you. I prefer Avast because I don't want to spend any money on an AV, but there'll always be those who prefer to pay for one reason or another.
Most IP actually provide virus software as part of their service. That's how I used Norton 360;with no problems. I also use a computer that the IP provides McAfee that I disliked in the past but this new one is good IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers