Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 03:24 AM

8,306 posts, read 3,469,997 times

Advertisements

How do I save the contents of a DVD on to my computer ? I tried copy pasting all the files/folders , but it doesn't seem to work . Any suggestions ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 05:05 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
If it's a commercial DVD it's protected and you'll need special software that isn't exactly legitimate as it breaks the encryption which is illegal in the U.S.

If it's a home DVD that you or someone else made you use Vob2MPG . This application will not work on commercial discs purchased in the store.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:48 AM

23,864 posts, read 24,108,334 times
I won't tell you how to copy ANY DVD, as copying ANY DVD with copy protection is illegal in the U.S., but I've heard that virtually ANY DVD can be copied if you have the right software. One should be permitted to backup ANY DVD they've purchased, IMHO, or convert ANY DVD they've purchased to a format suitable for playing on a portable device or PC. If you can find a DVD DECRYPTER that will work with ANY DVD you have, you should be able to do a DVD SHRINK and backup or convert your disc.

Old 03-20-2009, 02:40 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,994,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I won't tell you how to copy ANY DVD, as copying ANY DVD with copy protection is illegal in the U.S., but I've heard that virtually ANY DVD can be copied if you have the right software. One should be permitted to backup ANY DVD they've purchased, IMHO, or convert ANY DVD they've purchased to a format suitable for playing on a portable device or PC. If you can find a DVD DECRYPTER that will work with ANY DVD you have, you should be able to do a DVD SHRINK and backup or convert your disc.
I wonder if the OP will get the hints?

Old 03-20-2009, 03:15 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
I believe that a person has the right to backup any digital content they purchase to protect against loss, damage or deterioration of the media.

It is also prudent to backup any media that is routinely handled by small children, such as kids movies, as they don't always observe proper handling of DVD's. With the correct software it also allows the elimination of 30 plus minutes of commercials (on something I have purchased) that are inconvenient to darn near impossible to skip over.

This is all possible with excellent free software previously mentioned in this thread. I also use ImageBurn, pretty bullet proof burning software that allows backing up files, folder, images, etc. to CD or DVD including DL.

Old 03-20-2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
I believe that a person has the right to backup any digital content they purchase to protect against loss, damage or deterioration of the media.
Well beliefs and the law are two different things, whether you have the right to make backups of video on DVD you have licensed is really a moot point because the DMCA forbids breaking the encryption which is an entirely different thing than making copies. Making copies takes a backseat to this law. That's the primary reason no test cases have come before any courts like you have had for audio in the past. You'll never see any test case either as long as this law is place as it's certainly not in the interest of the media giants to force the issue. e.g You can have a commercial disc without copy protection and that is where you could argue about your rights to make a copy.

Having said that to the best of my knowledge no one has ever been sued for making copies of material they have purchased for personal backup.

Truthfully until people stop buying such material these practices will continue, my suggestion is to seek material elsewhere from artists with much less restrictive policies. There's wealth of material available without these restrictions.

Quote:
Thank you kind sir for my laugh of the day, that is funny.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:31 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,240,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
. . . One should be permitted to . . convert ANY DVD they've purchased to a format suitable for playing on a portable device or PC.

That is legal, and there are several programs available for purchase that will do this.

I have one on my computer at home, but I don't recall right now what its called.

I found by doing a search on converting DVD's to an ipod format.

The program was about $30-$40.

The only downside is that your computer has to play the movie in its entirety to copy and rescale to a more compact format.

The quality is not good enough to play on your TV, but looks fine on a small screen.

Old 03-21-2009, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
That is legal, and there are several programs available for purchase that will do this.
It is not legal, see above. The programs available are hosted on sites outside the U.S.'s jurisdiction as they are illegal to posses AFAIK.

Quote:
The quality is not good enough to play on your TV, but looks fine on a small screen.
Not sure what you have but a good ripper will rip a DVD bit for bit, e.g. exact copy.

Old 03-21-2009, 12:32 AM

905 posts, read 2,400,885 times
Yeah just Google some DVD rippers, there are plenty of free apps out there. I use my original XBox actually a lot for ripping DVDs and storing on there. It's always good to have a backup of your games/movies/music especially if you have kids. If you buy it, you have a right to protect your investment.

Old 03-21-2009, 04:08 AM

8,306 posts, read 3,469,997 times
Thanks everyone.
This is one of my kid's DVDs , which I purchased just a few days ago and I already see a few scratches on it .. So I thought of backing it up before it is ruined any further . Lol !

Thanks again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers