U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 04:24 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,699,701 times

Advertisements

So awhile ago I posted something about my internet explorer changing to some message, and I changed it to "whats wrong with this?" well just a couple of mins, 10, 15 mins i see a screen that isn't mine buts its real quick and after that i see that my internet explorer name has been changed to "y". And now I changed it to because "you are doing something to it". In the hopes that she/it.him will write something back. Should I be worried? And how do i stop this? Is it possible whoever is doing this has also put a keylogger into my pc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 05:08 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,348,910 times
Take it offline, backup your data, reformat. If someone is able to view your screen and interact with you, there's pretty much no limit to what else they could have done.

Old 03-28-2009, 05:17 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,699,701 times
^How do you do all three? sorry.

Old 03-28-2009, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60-minutes-II View Post
^How do you do all three? sorry.
Physically unplug it from your cable or DSL modem.

Connect a USB hard drive and copy your important files to it. That would be things like your documents, pictures, music folders, favorites, email, Quicken/Quickbooks, etc.

Once your data is safe, how you reload Windows depends on the make and model of computer. Many have a restore partition that can accessed at startup by holding some key, such as F10. Or you get the stack of restore CD/DVDs that came with the computer, start the computer with disc #1 in the drive, and follow the prompts from there.

You may need to call someone out or take it in somewhere if you can't do it yourself. It usually takes me a couple of hours to backup, reload, reinstall everything, and restore the data.

Old 03-28-2009, 11:28 PM

905 posts, read 2,163,880 times
Your problem??

You are using Internet Exploder!!! Get something not horrible like Firefox w/ NoScript or Google Chrome.

Old 03-28-2009, 11:46 PM

16,308 posts, read 25,273,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfectedMushroom View Post
Your problem??

You are using Internet Exploder!!! Get something not horrible like Firefox w/ NoScript or Google Chrome.
That is good advise once they format and reinstall windows, as it sounds like there is a backdoor giving full access to their computer right now.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:00 AM

11,750 posts, read 11,317,384 times
I think I would recommend multiple scan and repair with antivirus and antispyware tools, making sure they are fully up to date. Remote control tools are one thing that might be found. Under the circumstances, it might also be advisable to make sure the firewall is on.

Old 03-29-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I think I would recommend multiple scan and repair with antivirus and antispyware tools, making sure they are fully up to date. Remote control tools are one thing that might be found. Under the circumstances, it might also be advisable to make sure the firewall is on.
But unless you know exactly what you're looking for, how would you know when it's gone? The system is obviously deeply compromised. I've never seen spyware that gives someone VNC-like access to a system. Who really knows what's in this guy's computer. It could be anything.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:07 PM

16,308 posts, read 25,273,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
That would be an option for you or I and a number of others on this thread, but not for the novice. And even then can you really really be sure it is completely disinfected?

And it would likely take longer to disinfect a system that is severely compromised (I bet there are multiples on this one ), than to backup data (prudent for either method ) than to wipe and reinstall.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:23 PM

905 posts, read 2,163,880 times
I agree on the back up important data, then reformat the whole thing. It's less work in the end and you know for sure it's gone. Then take precautions to make sure it doesn't happen again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers