U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 02:58 PM

18,573 posts, read 55,502,062 times

Advertisements

Power supply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 05:01 PM

28,645 posts, read 40,622,302 times
How much is plugged into the wall outlet along with the PC?

Is the PC plugged into a UPS? How old is it?

How old is your house? Copper wiring or aluminum?

Take the number of plugged in items to a minimum. Just the PC and without a UPS in the wall socket and test that way, or get a new surge strip and use it for a while instead of the UPS.

If the PC is plugged into a UPS I assume it's in a battery backed up socket. Try one of the sockets not on the battery side.

If your power supply has an on/off switch toggle it before you start the PC next time.

Leave the side of the case open and watch the fans, especially the one that cools the CPU.

Replace the power cord to the PC and any other item connected to the UPS. An alternative: While the PC is running wiggle the power cord at both ends, in the middle, etc, to check for an internal break.

If it's determined to be an internal to the PC problem the first thing I would replace wold be the power supply.

Recite The Pledge of Allegiance backwards while holding a slice of three-day-old pepperoni and sausage thin crust pizza over the CPU. Be careful not to drop any crumbs.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:12 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,348,910 times
It looks like it's fixed. These are the ones I hate the most: multiple problems.

Since abandoning the inboard Ethernet, I have not had a random power failure. The system in question is a 2 year old Intel DG965WH motherboard with Windows Vista32 and an Antec True Power 550W PSU. It is connected to a Netgear 10/100/1000 8 port switch (nice blue metal one, not the crappy pastic) which is in turn connected to the Internet via a 4 port Netgear wireless router (5 year old crappy plastic one).

I stole an Intel Pro/1000 GT PCI Gigabit Ethernet adapter from another machine. I downloaded the current drivers and it installed normally. I could surf the net but it was very flakey. A site would load, but never finish loading all the graphics. Following a link would time out, but trying again would load the whole page instantly. I could test my speed on speedtest.net and get great download speeds, but the link lights on the switch would drop when the upload test started. Its like I could sort of surf until some big upload began at which point the whole connection would go stupid.

The really weird part is that I could go to another machine on my LAN, browse this machine's shares, and pull a 700MB file over at 60MB/sec with no ill effects. Its like only the Internet activity was affected.

Things I tried:

Different Ethernet cable
Setting Ethernet link speed to 10Mbit/half duplex
Connecting directly to router, bypassing switch
Different router
Different power supply

None of these fixed the flakey Internet but at least I wasn't losing power any more so I know there's something seriously wrong with the onboard Ethernet. In desperation I pulled the Intel GigE PCI card and replaced it with a $12 no name Realtek 8139 PCI 10/100 card and now everything works. So I guess there's some weird bug in the Intel drivers or Vista. I don't know.

The machine I stole the Intel card from is an older Intel D845BG motherboard with onboard Intel 10/100 Ethernet. It dual boots XP Pro and Vista32 and has never had a problem like this so I know the card itself is OK.

Old 11-08-2014, 02:26 PM

1 posts, read 799 times
im having this same problem. my Ethernet port along with 2 usb slots is integrated into my motherboard. how do I disable these? also, if I just get a plug in Ethernet card I should be good to go right?

Old 11-09-2014, 11:33 AM

15,210 posts, read 18,498,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xCODYxHAZ3x View Post
my Ethernet port along with 2 usb slots is integrated into my motherboard. how do I disable these?
You do it in the BIOS setup, which you access by pressing a special key (usually Delete, F1, F2, F10, etc - varies by manufacturer) during the boot process, before the operating system loads.

Once into the setup screen, there's a category of settings that's typically labeled "Integrated Peripherals" or something similar. That will have the options you're looking for.

Old 11-16-2014, 05:14 AM

3,460 posts, read 2,293,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
That's the working theory at the moment on my computer that has just started randomly losing power. Its so frustrating to troubleshoot when it can work fine for a few seconds or a few days. But at the moment, I'm suspecting that something Ethernet related (either the interface on the motherboard, the cable, or the switch) is randomly making the computer cut power as if there's a short. Have you ever seen Ethernet do this?
No, but what you described I've seen and it was a flakey power supply. Once I had that replaced, the problem never returned.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:33 AM

1 posts, read 688 times
Angry Network port short

I had the same exact problem but mine got worse before I finally figured it out. Mine got so bad that my pc kept cycling off and on on boot up. I chased it for days. I even removed the front panel control wiring and it would still cycle off and on. Went through the same procedure by removing USB ports to MOBO, removef RAM, removed VID card and everything else. I even checked power suplly by jumping the green wire to ground wire on ATX plug to make sure power supply was good. When I finally disconnected the RJ45 cable from pc it booted up. Could not believe it was the port. Tried different cable and different router and still same problem so it came down to the port.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or