U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 10:14 AM

5,434 posts, read 6,479,585 times

Advertisements

SAN FRANCISCO - The malicious Conficker Internet worm is trying to reach its creators more aggressively today. But nothing noticeable has happened.

The worm's programming included a change in tactics on April 1. Infected computers were told to step up their attempts to "phone home" for commands. But chief research officer Mikko Hypponen at antivirus company F-Secure says that's the only sign of life from the bug.

The worm can take control of unsuspecting PCs running Microsoft's Windows operating system. But its creators likely want to use their vast "botnet" to send spam or perform other cybercrimes, and not to bring down the Internet.

Conficker worm reaches go time, to no effect - Security- msnbc.com

no effects so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 08:51 AM

28,638 posts, read 40,617,860 times
I wonder how much money the companies selling anti-everything software made off this scare tactic....

Old 04-02-2009, 10:13 AM

4,599 posts, read 8,203,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I wonder how much money the companies selling anti-everything software made off this scare tactic....
Perhaps the very products they sold were part of the reason why there was such little effect.......

Just because nothing 'exploded' doesn't mean the risk wasn't there. I've worked with companies that had the .b variant. Trust me, it wasn't fun for them when the propagation of the worm was locking out accounts at the rate of 2 per second.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:17 PM

830 posts, read 2,597,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Perhaps the very products they sold were part of the reason why there was such little effect.......

Just because nothing 'exploded' doesn't mean the risk wasn't there. I've worked with companies that had the .b variant. Trust me, it wasn't fun for them when the propagation of the worm was locking out accounts at the rate of 2 per second.

Indeed. It hasn't had an impact because the good guys have done their job well.

Old 04-04-2009, 02:40 AM

712 posts, read 1,963,900 times
Fear sell, is always a fear sell.. I don't run anti-virus.. damn I should be infected

Old 04-10-2009, 02:21 PM

625 posts, read 1,645,560 times
I had a feeling nothing would happen--look at the trigger date for one, also why would he expose his huge botnet without gaining anything?

Old 04-10-2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoman View Post
Indeed. It hasn't had an impact because the good guys have done their job well.

The good guys really didnt do anything, up until a couple days prior they couldnt even really detect all infected machines

Old 04-10-2009, 03:40 PM

11,744 posts, read 11,315,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrice View Post
The good guys really didnt do anything, up until a couple days prior they couldnt even really detect all infected machines
That's not quite the way I read it. McAfee had Conficker dealt with last fall, and the latest version of the worm was dealt with fully a week before April 1. I don't recall dates from other antivirus sites.

Old 04-10-2009, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
That's not quite the way I read it. McAfee had Conficker dealt with last fall, and the latest version of the worm was dealt with fully a week before April 1. I don't recall dates from other antivirus sites.

If that were the case why was there such a panic about this virus?

Old 04-11-2009, 08:38 AM

11,744 posts, read 11,315,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrice View Post
If that were the case why was there such a panic about this virus?
We see people all the time that do not keep their protection up to date. My preference is to set up the antivirus product with the on access scanner active on startup, with automatic update done daily and a full hard disk scan done every night. Many people don't understand the importance of proper virus protection or simply don't know how to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or