U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 06:55 AM

1,097 posts, read 3,620,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
That leaves stray registry entries which can slow down boot times. Even utilities like CCleaner won't completly remove them. Formatting then using a clean Windows install disk (not the one from the vendor) is the best way to do it.

To the OP, use a USB drive. They are quicker than burning to a CD and can hold a lot more data.

I disagree. Most computers don't ship with a Windows install disk, and they usually have some useful software in among the other stuff. It may be "best" from a technical standpoint to have an absolutely clean registry, but it's not going to make a significant difference to the average user to have a few stray registry entries. It's the glut of programs that load at startup that do the most to slow down a computer, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 12:06 PM

28,645 posts, read 40,622,302 times
Making an assumption (I know, I know!) that you are not overly tech savvy because of your original post I would recommend the following, most of which has already been mentioned, but it might as well be in one post. Some posters will agree, others won't, but this is my take considering your level of expertise.

1. Remove the bloatware. This is can be done in Start/Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs. I recommend Ccleaner for this. In Ccleaner go to Tools/Uninstall and the list is on the right. Some will be obvious, others maybe not. If you aren't sure post the program name here and someone will let you know if it's junk or not.

Ccleaner: Download CCleaner 2.18.878 - FileHippo.com Top of the green area to the right has the latest version. When you install this watch the screens closely. There is one that has a list of checked boxes. Uncheck the bottom box! You don't want an unnecessary toolbar dumped on your computer in the middle of getting rid of all the junk.

2. Run Ccleaner (Button at the left top). This is an excellent program, free, and it will do something no one else has mentioned (I don't think). It will overwrite erased data using secure file deletion methods. In Ccleaner go to Options/Settings and pick one from the drop down list at the bottom. I use DOD as I feel that for this type of overwrite three passes are enough. You can also clean up the Registry with Ccleaner (Button at the left). When you are doing this you will be asked if you want to back up the registry. Do it the first time. After it has cleaned the registry, do it again without saving the registry. Repeat until there is either nothing in the list after cleaning or the same one comes up repeatedly.

3. I don't use the Files Transfer Wizard that Microsoft supplies. I've had too many problems with it.

4. I prefer USB drives for transferring data, it's quicker and easier to manage at both ends than CD or DVD. After you have the data on the new PC you might consider copying to a CD or DVD as a backup.

5. You can, if you want, take a screen shot of your start up files using Ccleaner. It might take two screen shots to get them all, or you can retype them if you prefer. If you don't know how to get a screen shot ask and someone here will get you through it. You then want to put those screen shots here (again someone will get you through it if you need) so we can tell you what you need and don't need. Do not remove anything based on the first post responding to it. Wait and read a few to be sure everyone agrees. These can be put back easily, but you might as well get it right the first time! In Ccleaner it is the Startup tab in Tools/Uninstall. Notice you can enable and disable these.

6. Don't forget the firewall, anti-virus, anti-spyware, etc. These are very important.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:36 AM

11,750 posts, read 11,317,384 times
Once again Tek has provided us with an absolutely excellent post with detailed instructions for solving the problem from the OP along with much useful additional information. Thanks, Tek.

Come back here with any questions about things you find in Add/Remove programs. Somebody will probably know whether it is something to keep or something to toss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or