U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 05:43 PM

28,617 posts, read 40,594,929 times

Advertisements

They're everywhere, they're everywhere!

Tinman, that's a doozy you have going. I'll see if I can find anything else, but nhdave has covered what I would have posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 08:27 PM

23,985 posts, read 23,221,257 times
Default that's a doozy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
They're everywhere, they're everywhere!

Tin Man, that's a doozy you have going. I'll see if I can find anything else, but nh dave has covered what I would have posted.
Gets even deeper. For what ever reasons I was in my document files and I notice about 2-3 dozen or more weird icons listed.... I popped one open and it's that same damn auto download load that's been showing up that I cannot get rid of. I've turned off the auto up load yesterday and turned it back on this afternoon. Shows 5 new updates.... do you what to update ? click yes. It goes off and does it thing...... now the yellow sheild up again. Theirs the same one..... I turned off the auto again... tried the manual..... same security update... as before. Hair pulling time..... turned it off
This system is a Dell 4300 it's 5+ years old........

Old 04-03-2009, 09:19 PM

16,308 posts, read 25,264,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfectedMushroom View Post
You can also turn off auto updates and just manually do it once a week or so. It wastes system resources doing nothing really, but for the casual user you should leave it on. So much crap is turned on when you even do a fresh install, you really speed things up by turning unnecessary operations off.
Problem is that for the average user it will be "out of site, out of mind" The resources used are not significant, (or they really need to dump the P133 with 128 Meg and get a new computer) and if you want to be in control, set it to 'notify' you when updates are available, and you can choose the 'when' to d/l and install.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:34 AM

Default set it to 'notify' you when updates are available

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Problem is that for the average user it will be "out of site, out of mind" The resources used are not significant, (or they really need to dump the P133 with 128 Meg and get a new computer) and if you want to be in control, set it to 'notify' you when updates are available, and you can choose the 'when' to d/l and install.
Does not matter..... "notify"..... that little boger is still their. I can have 4 for down load in notify and one of them will be this same download....
Thanks.......

Old 04-04-2009, 11:13 AM

28,617 posts, read 40,594,929 times
If you haven't read this page:

MS08-069: Vulnerabilities in Microsoft XML Core Services could allow remote code execution

I am wondering if the file that is supposed to be replaced (Msxml6r.dll) isn't being replaced and the update keeps seeing the older file version and wants to download again as a result. Notice that you should be able to determine the correct date and file size from the information given on this page.

Check if the file is read only, and change it?

Old 04-05-2009, 03:27 PM

Did Microsoft Scan very late last night 4+ hours..... nothing found. Suggested doing a defrag and dumping my temp Internet files......thats done..... but still have the yellow sheild.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or