U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 03:08 PM

23,987 posts, read 23,234,710 times

Advertisements

Microsoft Auto Updates how do you dump a update that's stuck? It's like Ground Hog Day the movie... Same update over and over and over again.
Is their a way to dumping or getting rid of this annoying problem..?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 05:07 PM

10,755 posts, read 18,015,770 times
You can try manually downloading and installing it if the install is failing via Windows update. You can also uncheck the update and WU will ask if you want to prevent it from showing up again. Without knowing which KB it is I can't offer any more advise.

Old 04-02-2009, 05:35 PM

2,075 posts, read 1,864,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
You can try manually downloading and installing it if the install is failing via Windows update. You can also uncheck the update and WU will ask if you want to prevent it from showing up again. Without knowing which KB it is I can't offer any more advise.
Can anyone tell me what " trackbacks" are & how the #$%# I can get them off the bottom of the header??

Old 04-02-2009, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwebbster View Post
Can anyone tell me what " trackbacks" are & how the #$%# I can get them off the bottom of the header??
What the hell are you talking about?? If you have a question rather than an answer for the OP, you should start your own thread, thread hijacking is frowned upon.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Dave View Post
Nothing to check......... tried to copy the installation info did not work. The link is reference too........ this one which I have all ready down loaded and installed over two weeks ago... that's how long this this notice has been hanging around.

Microsoft Security Bulletin MS08-069 – Critical: Vulnerabilities in Microsoft XML Core Services Could Allow Remote Code Execution (955218)

In regards to service pack 2 for 2003 XP.... that was downloaded years ago.......

Old 04-02-2009, 06:22 PM

How are you doing the updates, via the windows update website or the auto update (clicking yellow sheild in the tray) If using auto update, click the shield to bring up the install wizard, select the second option (manual or custom I think?) uncheck the offending update and continue, the wizard will ask if you want to be informed of the unchecked update again.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:21 PM

905 posts, read 2,163,880 times
You can also turn off auto updates and just manually do it once a week or so. It wastes system resources doing nothing really, but for the casual user you should leave it on. So much crap is turned on when you even do a fresh install, you really speed things up by turning unnecessary operations off.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:12 PM

Does not matter if I do manual or once a week.... nothing to check. Update click either express or custom. Then restart....... yellow shield gone...... 2 seconds later yellow shield back for either express or custom same update. Turned the damn thing off..... came back to weeks later turned auto update back on. Yellow Shield same update..... no way to get rid of. Unless I just stop getting updates.

Same update for the last 1-2 months just won't go away or install.....
Microsoft Security Bulletin MS08-069
Vulnerabilities in Microsoft XML Core Services Could Allow Remote Code Execution (955218)

Old 04-03-2009, 01:26 AM

2,075 posts, read 1,864,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
What the hell are you talking about?? If you have a question rather than an answer for the OP, you should start your own thread, thread hijacking is frowned upon.
Sorry pal hijacking your thread was not my intention. Im really new at this so the protocall was something I didnt know, however your friends helped me with it. Great Guys, and I learned something in the process. If I really want to Hijack something again (ROLMFAO)I will go where your other friends are. Think they are a little more professional and a hell of a lot kinder.

Old 04-03-2009, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwebbster View Post
Sorry pal hijacking your thread was not my intention. Im really new at this so the protocall was something I didnt know, however your friends helped me with it. Great Guys, and I learned something in the process. If I really want to Hijack something again (ROLMFAO)I will go where your other friends are. Think they are a little more professional and a hell of a lot kinder.
Your post was jibberish and not related to this thread, which is not mine by the way. And with almost 200 posts your not new at this at all. I still haven't figured out what you were trying to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or