Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 02:58 PM

25 posts, read 78,736 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know how to erase a computers hard drive?

I'm donating the computer and I don' want my hidden info ie credit card numbers, and my businesses other information.

I appreciate any feedback. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 03:05 PM

75 posts, read 207,267 times
I was having issues with my new laptop (it ended up needing to be replaced) so I did a full system restore and returned it back to the way it was when I bought it...it should erase everything.

Old 04-02-2009, 03:15 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Reformatting or running the restore discs that came with your computer does not really erase everything. Someone who's really interested could connect the drive to a computer and run software to recover a lot of your files. You need a program to overwrite your hard drive multiple times. I use a program called dban. Google it. It makes a bootable CD that you use to start your computer and it erases your hard drive(s). Be sure to disconnect any drives you DON'T want erased to ensure you don't accidentally wipe the wrong drive. After running dban, there will be NOTHING left on the disk. No operating system, no files, no hidden restore partition. Nothing. The drive is physically unharmed and can be used by someone else but your data will be gone forever.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:00 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,078,525 times
If you're using a Macintosh, the disc utility can erase with 7- and 35-pass erases, meaning that the disc is over-written with zeros up to 35 times. You can also "secure empty trash" which does the same thing for the sectors you're deleting. I'm no expert on this, just things I've learned about the Mac.

Another option is to tear the HD out of the machine and first smash it with a hammer then drill holes in it.

Old 04-03-2009, 04:24 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
but your data will be gone forever.
Off topic but I was reading about recovery techniques at an atomic level where drives have been wiped through conventional means. I cannot for the life of me find the article. It was interesting but would also suggest a drive could have an infinite amount of storage space.... certainly something to look for in the future.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:37 AM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
1. It is a good thing you are doing, donating the machine.

2. Hard drives are so cheap now, I think I would just buy a new drive and swap it out.
Makes a better donation, no security issue, and you would have a drive with all your stuff on it. With a USB drive dock, you could tap that information or use it for back up.

Old 04-03-2009, 06:10 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Escape's advice is good. Use dban to securely wipe the drive. If you really want to be nice, then rebuild a basic operating system on the drive before donating it. dban leaves the drive in such a state that it needs to be partitioned and formatted before it can be used again.

Donating your old computer is a fine and generous thing to do.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:25 PM

830 posts, read 2,860,838 times
There is also a program called Eraser that seems to work pretty well. I've used it a few times. It's free and has gotten good reviews. Has lots of options you can tweak, including what you want to erase, how you want to erase it, etc.

But true that storage is cheap now. You can get a terabyte drive for less than $100.

Old 04-03-2009, 02:40 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nori_garsi View Post
I was having issues with my new laptop (it ended up needing to be replaced) so I did a full system restore and returned it back to the way it was when I bought it...it should erase everything.
If it goes back to a reputable company, then they will likely wipe the disk to insure that your personal data is gone. Your actions of restoring it does not guarantee that the data is irretrievable from the drive.

Old 04-03-2009, 04:28 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
A strong magnet works quite well. Just make sure the drive is not in the computer when you do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers