U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 01:54 PM

526 posts, read 942,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
I'm a firm believe that the "No Vista , No Problem " is the best approach.
vista is fine, its the people that dont know how to use it or do their homework to know what works and what doesnt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2009, 08:17 AM

11,510 posts, read 21,904,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
Thanx EFC....I had a Mac guy get me somewhat up and running with Firefox versus Internet Explorer. I still want my AOL though. I am a creature of habit and have had it for 12 years. My laptop will not download AOL. I got a small box that said, user account security is preventing me from downloading it. I am looking for an old disc to upload it. They used to put them out at different retailers on the counter but I do not think they do it anymore. I am just curious because AOL told me since my account was cancelled, a new aol will not upload to my new laptop! I had my aol account on my old laptop already so when aol shut me down I just signed on as guest with the same account. Wierd I need an active account for it to download on the new one. I wrote a letter to AOL asking to re-activate my old account, so I will wait it out I guess. Wierd!
You need to turn off user account security.

Old 04-05-2009, 04:47 PM

4,334 posts, read 12,345,940 times
Thanx, everything is a struggle with Vista. Just simple reply typing and I lose the page constantly!
Goes to untitled.

Old 04-05-2009, 04:55 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,345,192 times
Quote:
Thanx, everything is a struggle with Vista. Just simple reply typing and I lose the page constantly!
Goes to untitled.
Either something is seriously wrong with your computer or your Internet connection. Vista does not naturally do what you're describing.

Old 04-05-2009, 06:29 PM

Seems to be when I hit off key a little....yikes!

Old 04-07-2009, 09:34 AM

2,178 posts, read 8,594,146 times
Some of the programs I had on my old XP system will not run in Vista, I am rethinking getting rid of the old one now.

I admit I know NOTHING about Vista we all have to learn sometime so give us a break.. We are TRYING to learn!

Old 04-07-2009, 10:34 PM

113 posts, read 358,601 times
I did not know people still use AOL, I never used it and never will. I have vista on three machine and not any probelms. I also like to use firefox.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura707 View Post
Some of the programs I had on my old XP system will not run in Vista, I am rethinking getting rid of the old one now.

I admit I know NOTHING about Vista we all have to learn sometime so give us a break.. We are TRYING to learn!
I know right? We need to ask what they think are somewhat stupid questions here for us to learn!
I do not know the tech end of computers. I am still learning. Heck, I had my laptop for two days and called Toshiba like 5 times! So far I am doing fine except for a few malfunctions once in a while. I think Microsoft is trying to somewhat copy or incorporate some of the Mac operating system into Vista! I see some similarities as far as non-compatability with some programs. They just do not work period with Vista.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:27 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,345,192 times
Quote:
I know right? We need to ask what they think are somewhat stupid questions here for us to learn!
I do not know the tech end of computers. I am still learning. Heck, I had my laptop for two days and called Toshiba like 5 times! So far I am doing fine except for a few malfunctions once in a while. I think Microsoft is trying to somewhat copy or incorporate some of the Mac operating system into Vista! I see some similarities as far as non-compatability with some programs. They just do not work period with Vista.
In my experience, the biggest Vista feature that tripps up older programs is UAC. UAC is that feature where you try to do something like install a program, the screen darkens, and you get prompted to approve or deny the action. Older programs were used to having complete unrestricted access to the system and just don't understand being restricted in any way.

One solution is to turn UAC off completely. Another is to right click on a program and choose "run as administrator". You'll get a UAC prompt immediately but the program should work fine after that.

Another trick is compatibility mode. Right click on a program's icon, go to properties, and the compatibility tab. Check the box that says "run this program is compatibility mode for" and choose Windows XP SP2 on the drop down. At the bottom of that window, you'll see "privilege level". Check the box under there and each time you run the program you'll get that UAC prompt as if you'd right clicked and chosen "run as administrator".

Between those two tricks, I've gotten a lot of older software to run just fine under Vista. If that doesn't work, it's time to upgrade your software or run it in a virtual machine.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:59 PM

Sounds like some good info. Escape! Now I will have to have my Mac guy translate all of it for me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers