U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 08:56 AM

28,645 posts, read 40,622,302 times

Advertisements

Free: AVG I have used it off and on for years and recommend it to clients that do not want to buy a package. ZoneAlarm ditto.

Pay: Norton 2009 Internet Security Suite. Despite what you see posted the 2009 version of this software is excellent. The older versions were complete crap so if you see one cheap, do not be tempted, you will not like the result. I have 2009 running on two desktops and a laptop and it constantly surprises me.

I have yet to experience a slowdown during updates or scans. It pops up a window when it catches something that reports what it caught and what it did with it. You can drill into details about what it found if you want, or just dismiss the window. At start up it loads faster than ZA Internet Security Suite, which loads pretty darn fast itself. On my laptop I have a tendency to wait until the drive light goes off before starting to work so I know the difference between what it used to take to finish loading with ZA and what it takes with NIS. The only downside I see is that it will not interface with Windows Mail for Spam.

I used to recommend ZA Suite, but have found their subscription extension process to be suspect (the subscritions consistently run out a month or more ahead of schedule) and support to be poor in that they will not fix the subscription problem without a lot of hassle. Not for me, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 11:23 AM

1,766 posts, read 2,113,517 times
My McAfee runs out in June....I now get a repetitive pop-up telling me I need to "fix" so it shows me the Big M logo (to let me know how important it is?) I would NEVER buy McAfee again. So I do appreciate the input to help with the upcoming change. My system is so slow I will need to get help with a clean up at the time I change protection programs. I suspect the McAfee will be insidious and tough to delete it all.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:29 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,079,990 times
From McAfee: How to uninstall (http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507&lc=1033 - broken link)

Scroll down a one or two inches

Here's a tool I found on MajorGeeks

Last edited by Brian.Pearson; 04-08-2009 at 09:10 PM..

Old 04-08-2009, 09:18 PM

28,645 posts, read 40,622,302 times
If you buy Norton 2009 IS and you don't want to have the program store encrypted passwords open the main screen by double-clicking the icon on the task bar, click on settings in the identity section (bottom of three sections) and move the slider for Identity Safe to off.

I use this feature and it's a good one once you figure out the correct combination of settings for password infills. If anyone has it and is confused I'll tell you how I set mine up.

Old 04-10-2009, 02:17 PM

625 posts, read 1,645,654 times
Try Blink AV suite, its from a compnay called eEye--a leader in security products. IT has a 30 days trial with no disabled features after that. IN my experience it has picked up things that AVG and Avast failed to find

I would stay away from Symantec and Mcafee--they require alot more resources, and their detection engines arent updated as quickly as the others usually

Old 04-10-2009, 03:45 PM

11,750 posts, read 11,317,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrice View Post
Try Blink AV suite, its from a compnay called eEye--a leader in security products. IT has a 30 days trial with no disabled features after that. IN my experience it has picked up things that AVG and Avast failed to find

I would stay away from Symantec and Mcafee--they require alot more resources, and their detection engines arent updated as quickly as the others usually
I've had AVG on several computers for many years and never had a virus get through, so I don't know what it might fail to find.

Tek has had good experience with Norton 2009. I use McAfee Enterprise at work and often find the .dat files have updated every day. I don't see how you can support a statement that they aren't updated quickly.

Old 04-10-2009, 07:26 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,079,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrice View Post

Not all things that are found are bad. It's not unusual to see the occasional false positive.

Old 04-10-2009, 11:05 PM

625 posts, read 1,645,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I've had AVG on several computers for many years and never had a virus get through, so I don't know what it might fail to find.

Tek has had good experience with Norton 2009. I use McAfee Enterprise at work and often find the .dat files have updated every day. I don't see how you can support a statement that they aren't updated quickly.

Because I have seen several 0 day virii and malware get by Symantecs scanners, while others have picked them up. The term quickly is speculative but Kaspersky, Blink, etc usually release updated and emergency definition quicker than Symantec

BTW, I have installed AVG on several machines, its actually my prefered product for networked enviroments, but yes I found 2 worms on my doze box last year when I tested out the bink product
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers