U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 06:31 PM

10,755 posts, read 18,015,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
I use mac address filtering on my router.
By itself that will only keep out the honest people. There are a few additions steps you can take, turn off DHCP (a pain) MAC filtering, disable broadcasting, but anyone with minimal knowledge can skip past them easily, WPA is the best option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 10:58 PM

1,444 posts, read 2,573,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
By itself that will only keep out the honest people. There are a few additions steps you can take, turn off DHCP (a pain) MAC filtering, disable broadcasting, but anyone with minimal knowledge can skip past them easily, WPA is the best option.
I understand all that, and if I used wireless regularly I would set all this up. But I don't use it that often, when I do, I don't send anything sensitive over wireless. When it's not in use, I turn if off.

Old 04-07-2009, 04:40 PM

52 posts, read 141,702 times
Oh well my wife's new Dell lap top needs service-she can`t get on the net,so I unhooked the wireless for now and will try and get some long cables to the other room and hook hers up and do away with wireless.

Damn if I`m going to pay comcast so others can get free net..

Need to call Dell support about her lap top( only 4months old)

Anyone know how to run two computers on one comcast modem?

Old 04-07-2009, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDTAZ View Post
Oh well my wife's new Dell lap top needs service-she can`t get on the net,so I unhooked the wireless for now and will try and get some long cables to the other room and hook hers up and do away with wireless.

Damn if I`m going to pay comcast so others can get free net..

Need to call Dell support about her lap top( only 4months old)

Anyone know how to run two computers on one comcast modem?
You need a router if you have just a regular comcast modem with only one LAN port.

Old 04-07-2009, 04:48 PM

NHDave do they make routers that are not wireless?

Old 04-07-2009, 04:54 PM

Yup. You have a comcast modem with wireless and only 1 LAN port?

Newegg.com - Routers, Wireless Routers, Linksys Router, Linksys Wireless router, Netgear Router, Cisco Router, Linksys Wireless, D Link Router

Old 04-07-2009, 05:04 PM

Sorry I guess I`m dumb but what is a lan port-is it where the either net cable goes?

I have a comcast modem and a netgear router.
I want to do away with the wireless and hard wire both desktop and lap top but they will be in different rooms.

I just called comcast they told me I have to pay two internet fees if I have two computers-that`s why people use wireless.--Damn

Old 04-07-2009, 05:20 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,348,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDTAZ View Post
Sorry I guess I`m dumb but what is a lan port-is it where the either net cable goes?

I have a comcast modem and a netgear router.
I want to do away with the wireless and hard wire both desktop and lap top but they will be in different rooms.

I just called comcast they told me I have to pay two internet fees if I have two computers-that`s why people use wireless.--Damn
Your wireless router already supports 4 wired computers. One port should be labeled Internet or WAN and connects to your modem. The other 4 ports are identical and can connect to your computers. You can disable the wireless portion of the router through its admin page. Point your web browser to 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1. Consult your router's documentation and browse around the options until you find where to turn the wireless off. Presto! You now have a wired router. Whether you're wireless or wired makes no difference to Comcast and there's no reason to pay for two Internet connections either way.

Old 04-07-2009, 05:24 PM

Don't believe anything Comcast tells you, the person you talked to was a moron. As EC said, just disable the wireless on your router and plug into an available port on the back of it.

It always amazes me, the complete lack of knowledge of some of these so called support people.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:41 PM

Thanks guys I can`t find the book that came with the netgear wireless I have-I`ll look around,got to be here somewhere.

(just disable the wireless on your router and plug into an available port on the back of it.)

I have completely unhooked it-power cord everything-

Now what- do I need to get a long either net cord (about 40ft) for the lap top?

Steps in hookup
coamcast modem has 1 ethernet slot and 1 USB port.
netgear #WGR614 v7 -has 4 lan slots and 1 internet slot

So now what

Last edited by MDTAZ; 04-07-2009 at 07:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers