U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 07:45 AM

1,464 posts, read 3,788,667 times

Advertisements

1) how can I stop those ads from poping up.
-I tried by disabling pop up from the internet(tools) and System tools as well.

2)How can I reset my older settings(the way my PC was 1 or 2 days ago)

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 10:25 AM

4,243 posts, read 12,768,423 times
I presume that you have pop-up blocking turned on, but the pop-ups are still happening? And another presumption that you're using Internet Explorer?

If that's the case, I have the same setup and I sometimes still get pop-ups or rather pop-unders. Every so often tribalfusion and castlemedia (and a couple of others) pop under. I think if you have a spyware program running in realtime, that won't occur. I'm not sure.

As for reset, and if you're using XP (I don't know how it works in Vista), I'm guessing you want System Restore to time travel back a couple of days. That can be found... All Programs-->Accessories-->SystemTools--> then choose the System Restore (or more easily, go to Help & Support and type in System Restore, choose System Restore Wizard) and follow the instructions. You can then choose a previous setting.

Old 04-10-2009, 12:12 PM

28,627 posts, read 40,609,166 times
If you don't have a current anti-spware/anti-virus program running you might get pop-ups even with IE set to stop them. It might be a different kind of pop-up. Is there a certain type you see? Like "You have xxx viruses", or "Your computer is infected with dangersous tracking programs".

If so then you may have one of the many invasive "buy me" ads that list fake problems to get you to buy their junk.

Download malwarebytes and run it.

FileHippo.com - Download Free Software

Even if you don't have that type of pop-up it won't hurt, and can only help, to run this program.

Old 04-10-2009, 07:12 PM

16,308 posts, read 25,268,988 times
Google Toolbar added to your browser will do a good job.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
If you don't have a current anti-spware/anti-virus program running you might get pop-ups even with IE set to stop them. It might be a different kind of pop-up. Is there a certain type you see? Like "You have xxx viruses", or "Your computer is infected with dangersous tracking programs".

If so then you may have one of the many invasive "buy me" ads that list fake problems to get you to buy their junk.

Download malwarebytes and run it.

FileHippo.com - Download Free Software

Even if you don't have that type of pop-up it won't hurt, and can only help, to run this program.
I currently have McAfee, can I still use malwarebytes?
Thanks!

Old 04-10-2009, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
I presume that you have pop-up blocking turned on, but the pop-ups are still happening? And another presumption that you're using Internet Explorer?

If that's the case, I have the same setup and I sometimes still get pop-ups or rather pop-unders. Every so often tribalfusion and castlemedia (and a couple of others) pop under. I think if you have a spyware program running in realtime, that won't occur. I'm not sure.

As for reset, and if you're using XP (I don't know how it works in Vista), I'm guessing you want System Restore to time travel back a couple of days. That can be found... All Programs-->Accessories-->SystemTools--> then choose the System Restore (or more easily, go to Help & Support and type in System Restore, choose System Restore Wizard) and follow the instructions. You can then choose a previous setting.
those pop ups gor so often today that I reformatted my PC. The problem is solved...but I would like to ensure that this won't happen again! any advice.
Thanks.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:53 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,078,495 times
You had a fair chance of fixing it with the above advice for running MalwareBytes. The only thing you can't run with your antivirus software is another antivirus software program. Also it's not a good idea to run two separate malware cleaners at the same time.

Also, your AV is designed for virus protection. You need other programs, preferably more than one, to keep your computer clean.

Old 04-11-2009, 07:29 AM

40,256 posts, read 41,823,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar31 View Post
those pop ups gor so often today that I reformatted my PC. The problem is solved...but I would like to ensure that this won't happen again! any advice.
Thanks.
You most likely had some malware installed, this is usually installed by you. Be very careful about installing anything, one common technique for example is to lure people into installing a "codec" to view a video.

Assuming you have Adobe's Flash and MS silverlight installed you should not have to install anything to view 99.9% of the legitimate media content on the web.

Old 04-11-2009, 12:41 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,078,495 times
Yeah, and many people get malware from clicking on email spam and from ecards, all seemingly innocuous to those who don't know about it. Others are found in sites that make you think you can be free of all malware if only you downloaded some super duper program. Many don't know the good from the bad, and end up loaded with malware from antimalware scammers. And to add insult to injury, they convince people to pay for this malware.

Old 04-11-2009, 09:31 PM

905 posts, read 2,163,680 times
*cough* Firefox with AdBlock Plus *cough*

Never see a popup or crappy ad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers