U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 07:07 PM

12,630 posts, read 32,266,535 times

Advertisements

He was til he became conserned about piggyback neighbors BUT either way Comcast will only bill for the 1 line not 2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 07:13 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,302,953 times
I did the exact same thing, Comcast, router and modem, trying to hook up second pc. Finally got my second pc out to the internet. It's an older one, got everything updated, but got error messages on various things so gave up.

I have Comcast triple play and pay one rate. The installer told me if I want to connect the second PC just get a router, no added fees.

Old 04-10-2009, 07:15 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,302,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I switched to Comcast My sons desktop has the cable hooked to it my laptop uses the wireless & Comcast Knows this I recieve 1 bill $19.95....Someone in Billing is telling you wrong. Contact tec suport they will walk up thru the hook ups. Also even IF you have the laptop hookup thru a wire your neighbors can still piggyback UNLESS you unhook you antania. There is another way use a code to secure your line. Without the code no one can get on.
I was told you can disengage wireless feature, my Son did it for me as I don't want it.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:12 PM

52 posts, read 141,702 times
Well so much for this--nothing,I can only get the net on my desk top-I have been at this all day.

I think comcast must be blocking me from using the other computer.

I don`t know if I should call comcast or not -they may make me pay the double fee like they said a few days ago.

This is what I have

Linksys

10/100
5 port
Workgroup Switch

MD# EZXS55W

The sales person said this is a router.

no where on the box says router but it shows two computers hooked up on back of box.

Last edited by MDTAZ; 04-10-2009 at 08:39 PM..

Old 04-11-2009, 07:00 AM

4,244 posts, read 12,771,777 times
MDTAZ - I feel your frustration! But relax - this can be fixed :-)

First, Comcast is not blocking you from using the other computer to get on the 'net. Second, as others have said, they will not charge you double for hooking up two computers.

I don't know "geek speak" so bear with me. I'd go back to square one, using wireless which originally worked BUT encrypt it so that others in the apt. complex cannot piggyback. However, if you really don't want to do that and want to hard wire both computers, then let's backtrack.

To make sure I understand ....

Before you bought the wired router, both the desktop and the laptop connected to the 'net just fine with the wireless router, and with the wired router only the laptop was getting online, but now it doesn't, and just the desktop gets on?

(At least you know that the new router and the Comcast modem are compatible with one another.)

Old 04-11-2009, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
MDTAZ - I feel your frustration! But relax - this can be fixed :-)

First, Comcast is not blocking you from using the other computer to get on the 'net. Second, as others have said, they will not charge you double for hooking up two computers.

I don't know "geek speak" so bear with me. I'd go back to square one, using wireless which originally worked BUT encrypt it so that others in the apt. complex cannot piggyback. However, if you really don't want to do that and want to hard wire both computers, then let's backtrack.

To make sure I understand ....

Before you bought the wired router, both the desktop and the laptop connected to the 'net just fine with the wireless router, and with the wired router only the laptop was getting online, but now it doesn't, and just the desktop gets on?

(At least you know that the new router and the Comcast modem are compatible with one another.)
Hey-- yes when i had the wireless(netgear) it worked fine on both computers then slowed down-that`s when my wife found out others were using our service so I disconnected in and got the linksys.
Someone else says this is a switch-not a router--This is what I have now

Linksys

10/100
5 port
Workgroup Switch

MD# EZXS55W

The sales person(Walmart) said this is a router.

no where on the box says router but it shows two computers hooked up on back of box.

I think I will return this and go to Best buy or Radio Shack.

I don`t understand the difference between a switch and router.

: D

Old 04-11-2009, 07:29 AM

10,755 posts, read 18,015,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDTAZ View Post
This is what I have

Linksys

10/100
5 port
Workgroup Switch.
THAT is your problem, you can't use a switch, you must have a ROUTER. The salesman is an idiot.

[Edit] here's the difference http://compnetworking.about.com/od/h...ervsswitch.htm

Old 04-11-2009, 07:49 AM

I googled the so-called router and agree with NHDave that it is the wrong piece of hardware.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:01 AM

Thanks guys for putting up with my dumb computer azz
Guess I`m not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

I`ll go to Sams club or Best Buy today and get a real router..

Thanks
mike

Old 04-11-2009, 08:23 AM

Under no circumstances do you need to apologize MDTAZ!! We've all been in your position at some point in time! And see, you now know more than you did yesterday!

I wish I had been able to tap the brains of these forum members a few years ago when I was trying to connect two computers together. Being a noncomputer person I went through a boat load of different pieces of hardware and in the end was not able to accomplish the task. I did, however, figure out how the two computers could share one monitor, one keyboard, one mouse, and one printer, but I never did get the two to "talk" to each other. (Non-issue now -- the second computer went bye bye anyway.)

I can recommend this -- when you go to the store, before asking for a salesperson's help, walk up and down the aisles looking at all the different pieces of hardware. Read what's written on the boxes even if most of it appears like a foreign language. What will happen is that you, as a noncomputer person like me, will get a sense of what you might need and what you definitely won't need. Then find a knowledge (key word) salesperson to help. Why I recommend this route is because I've had scenarios in which I've walked into the store, sought out a salesman who'd go and grab something and hand it to me and I'm left scratching my head with "and now what is this and what do I do with it?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers