Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 07:52 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,994,915 times

Advertisements

And the better option if your shopping at walmart, research online and KNOW what you want and don't ask anyone there for help. They don't put the people with specific knowledge (if they have any) where they should be. I worked there many moons ago, was by far the techie-est person in the store, and they put me in lawn and garden
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 10:59 AM

52 posts, read 155,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
And the better option if your shopping at walmart, research online and KNOW what you want and don't ask anyone there for help.
--Iv`e learned my lesson.

Returned the switch box.
Went to Sams and Best Buy--no wired routers in store so I guess I`ll try to hook up the Netgear and make it wired.

Thanks guys.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:01 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,994,915 times
Once you get it set up and working just go into the router config and turn off the wireless.

Old 04-11-2009, 04:58 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times
My son was the most Techie in Walmart they made him a CASHIER on the FT registers!!

Old 04-12-2009, 09:27 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDTAZ View Post
--Iv`e learned my lesson.

Returned the switch box.
Went to Sams and Best Buy--no wired routers in store so I guess I`ll try to hook up the Netgear and make it wired.

Thanks guys.
Do you have the model number of the netgear?
As Dave said, you should be able to turn the wireless off or you can use security. Been a while since I did this, my wireless router is turned off until I have time to deal with it.

You are probably going to want to run the networking wizard too, especially if you have connection issues.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:36 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Is this your router?
Netgear WGR614

Manufacturer page (http://www.netgear.com/Home/Products/RoutersandGateways/WirelessGRouters/WGR614.aspx - broken link) - look on the right, the guide is linked there.

BTW, depending on what you and the salesperson discussed, they may have thought you were using the wireless router then adding the hub, may not have realized you wanted to take the wireless out of the mix.

Newegg wired routers search - if you want to buy a new wired router, newegg is usually cheapest. I order from them all of the time, you should have it by Wednesday or Thursday depending on how close a warehouse is.

Old 04-16-2009, 03:16 AM

52 posts, read 155,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Is this your router?
Netgear WGR614

Manufacturer page (http://www.netgear.com/Home/Products/RoutersandGateways/WirelessGRouters/WGR614.aspx - broken link) - look on the right, the guide is linked there.

BTW, depending on what you and the salesperson discussed, they may have thought you were using the wireless router then adding the hub, may not have realized you wanted to take the wireless out of the mix.

Newegg wired routers search - if you want to buy a new wired router, newegg is usually cheapest. I order from them all of the time, you should have it by Wednesday or Thursday depending on how close a warehouse is.
That`s the one I have.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:22 AM

1,095 posts, read 3,998,028 times
A wired connection is probably faster, but why not just use the wireless with security? It's easy to set up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers