Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 11:39 AM

52 posts, read 155,242 times

Advertisements

Hey guys

I bought a wired router and plugged it up to modem then desk top and a lap top for my wife in another room but now only one computer gets Internet..

When I talked to comcast the other day they told me if I had two computers I would have to pay two fees($47each) WTH

Any suggestions.

thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 12:09 PM

588 posts, read 2,828,503 times
First things first... you do not have to pay two fees for sharing an internet connection within your house. You pay for the broadband connection to your house and you can use it however you see fit. Comcast is off their rocker.

Next, how were the two computers previously connected to the internet? Is the one that does not connect set up properly? i.e. does it have the network drivers installed and is it set to DHCP mode (automatic IP address assignment)?

We need more details.

Old 04-10-2009, 01:13 PM

623 posts, read 1,816,737 times
If the one is getting an IP from the router the other should as well. First, go into device manager and make sure that the hardware is enabled and functional. If it is, goto the command prompt and type ipconfig/renew

Old 04-10-2009, 01:35 PM

Ok first I had just the desk top(windows XP) worked good.
Then I bought lap top(vista) and ran it on a netgear wireless unit-ran ok but wife said others were using our service(we are in a apartment)-so I took the wireless out and bought a linksy wired router and 50 ft either cable to run to the bed room for her lap top.
She was getting internet fine but my desk top was not-it could not connect to internet.

I`m not that great at computers sooooooooooooooooo..

Old 04-10-2009, 02:23 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,984,695 times
Ok, this is what you should have. Cable modem, network cable going from that to the WAN port on the router, computers plugged into LAN ports on the router. If this is how you have it unplug modem and router power for 10 seconds, power on cable modem, then router.

Old 04-10-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Ok, this is what you should have. Cable modem, network cable going from that to the WAN port on the router, computers plugged into LAN ports on the router. If this is how you have it unplug modem and router power for 10 seconds, power on cable modem, then router.
should all computers be shut off at the beginning.

Old 04-10-2009, 02:50 PM

It wouldn't hurt to have them off, but not a requirement, they'll get an IP address from the router when it boots back up.

Old 04-10-2009, 04:16 PM

Thanks I`ll try again when my wife wakes up--I know nothing about a lap top

Old 04-10-2009, 04:44 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
I switched to Comcast My sons desktop has the cable hooked to it my laptop uses the wireless & Comcast Knows this I recieve 1 bill $19.95....Someone in Billing is telling you wrong. Contact tec suport they will walk up thru the hook ups. Also even IF you have the laptop hookup thru a wire your neighbors can still piggyback UNLESS you unhook you antania. There is another way use a code to secure your line. Without the code no one can get on.

Old 04-10-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I switched to Comcast My sons desktop has the cable hooked to it my laptop uses the wireless & Comcast Knows this I recieve 1 bill $19.95....Someone in Billing is telling you wrong. Contact tec suport they will walk up thru the hook ups. Also even IF you have the laptop hookup thru a wire your neighbors can still piggyback UNLESS you unhook you antania. There is another way use a code to secure your line. Without the code no one can get on.
Ummm, he's not using wireless, read back a few posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers