U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 05:59 PM

12,629 posts, read 32,266,535 times

Advertisements

I have a ACER Aspire 5515 With Vista Basic. I want to transfer files [voice] from the main HD to the 2nd HD

IN Baby Talk & Baby Steps...Can some one tell me How???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 06:15 PM

10,755 posts, read 18,015,770 times
Do these files belong to a specific application that needs to find them? If not just right click and select cut, then go to the second drive and right click paste. I would recommend creating a folder for them rather than dumping them on the root of the drive.

Old 04-10-2009, 06:41 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,543,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I have a ACER Aspire 5515 With Vista Basic. I want to transfer files [voice] from the main HD to the 2nd HD

IN Baby Talk & Baby Steps...Can some one tell me How???
- Right click on the file and then choose copy.
- Find and double-click My Computer
- 2nd HD is more than likely your D: drive, when My Computer opens up, you should see Hard Disk Drives and right below that should list Local Disk (C: ) and right below that is your 2nd HD D:
- Double-click the 2nd HD
- click edit menu item
- now click paste

Old 04-10-2009, 06:46 PM

Ok I am going to try....These are Big files almost a gig!

Old 04-14-2009, 04:12 PM

Nope did not work!! All it transfered was titles & pic But not the whole book. Any one know how to do this?????

Old 04-14-2009, 05:56 PM

1,097 posts, read 3,620,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Nope did not work!! All it transfered was titles & pic But not the whole book. Any one know how to do this?????
The procedure mossomo described is "how to do it," but there might be something else going on that is preventing this from occurring.

Try something else - left-click Start, then right-click on Computer and select "explore." You should see all of your drives - both hard drives (one will likely be C: and any optical (DVD or CD) drives. Right-click on the hard drive you are attempting to copy files to (the "target drive"), then select "properties." How much free space is available? If there is not enough free space on that drive, you cannot copy files, which might explain why the larger files didn't transfer.

Now left click the target drive and see what is already there? Sometimes computers come with a partitioned hard drive, meaning the actual drive is split up into different sections, each of which will show up as a separate hard drive in Windows Explorer. This is sometimes done instead of giving you a physical DVD to use as a restore disc - your system backup files are stored in one of the partitions on your hard drive. If that's the case, you won't have much storage in that partition, and you won't be able to copy many files.

I'm willing to guess that your computer has only one hard drive, but it is partitioned, as I described. The Acer Aspire 5515 is a pretty inexpensive laptop, right? Acer Home (http://us.acer.com/acer/productv.do?link=oln15e.redirect&changedAlts=&CRC= 1511809838 - broken link)
Based on this product description, it looks like it comes with one hard drive - I don't even know if it's possible to install a second HDD in the laptop.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:01 PM

803 posts, read 2,630,561 times
Second drive as she's described is probably a "READ ONLY" drive where the restore files are...

Old 04-14-2009, 06:04 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,348,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookmeister View Post
Second drive as she's described is probably a "READ ONLY" drive where the restore files are...
Or it's within a couple of MB of being full.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:14 PM

10,755 posts, read 18,015,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookmeister View Post
Good point. To the OP, does your laptop have 2 physical drivers or are you just assuming so because you see 2 drive letters? Many computers have a restore partiton which is assigned a drive letter but is not meant for the end user to store data.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:31 PM

1,097 posts, read 3,620,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Or it's within a couple of MB of being full.
This has to be the case. If it were read only she wouldn't have been able to transfer anything. She said she transferred some of the files but not the audiobook itself, so I think she just maxed out the capacity on the restore partition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or