U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 09:09 PM

23,987 posts, read 23,234,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggler View Post
If Tinman is really looking for power gaming notebooks, the MSI Wind U123 will not even begin to qualify. The U123 has an Atom processor and older Intel 945 chipset and graphics.
No gaming... I'm 60 my coordination is shot !!! Just 2gb+ processor for doing photo editing and WiFi / Blue Tooth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
I just ordered a netbook from them (MSI WInd U123) this evening - will let you know what I think when it gets here.
Have you got your netbook yet ?......

Old 05-05-2009, 12:27 AM

7,543 posts, read 15,697,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman313 View Post
Have you got your netbook yet ?......
No, darn it.

UPS and I are having a discussion about what "3 day shipping" means.

I say it means that you take the day it was shipped, and then you count ONE business day, (Ignore the two weekend days), TWO business day, THREE business day and it's delivered on that third day (which would be tomorrow).

UPS says you count ONE business day, (Ignore the two weekend days),TWO business day, THREE business day, FOUR business day, FIVE business day - and then it gets delivered.

How it can be shipped on a Thursday and arrive on a Thursday and still qualify for 3 day guaranteed shipping, I have no idea.

Still, it's better than DHL, for whom "overnight" in my area means that they only deliver on a Tuesday, no matter what the shipping label says.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:46 AM

28,645 posts, read 40,622,302 times
UPS definition: Guaranteed - it will be delivered when we are darn good and ready to deliver it. That we guarantee.

We are fortunate here; UPS is pretty much on time all the time with their scheduled delivery estimates.

DHL passes packages off to USPS, has no tracking capabilities to speak of and it gets here whenever they feel like messing with it. Any time I see DHL as the delivery method I go somewhere else for a purchase.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
No, darn it.

UPS and I are having a discussion about what "3 day shipping" means.

I say it means that you take the day it was shipped, and then you count ONE business day, (Ignore the two weekend days), TWO business day, THREE business day and it's delivered on that third day (which would be tomorrow).

UPS says you count ONE business day, (Ignore the two weekend days),TWO business day, THREE business day, FOUR business day, FIVE business day - and then it gets delivered.

How it can be shipped on a Thursday and arrive on a Thursday and still qualify for 3 day guaranteed shipping, I have no idea.

Still, it's better than DHL, for whom "overnight" in my area means that they only deliver on a Tuesday, no matter what the shipping label says.
That only applies to the Third Thursdays of the Third month during a full moon.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:18 PM

Woo hooo, it's here! Came very well packed (original MSI box inside two other boxes). Checked the BIOS and it's been configured exactly as I asked.

Didn't come loaded with a lot of junk (well, Microsoft Office Trial version......). Had a couple of program ready to install (Norton and something else that I've just forgotten) but all I had to do was delete the install.exe programs and they were gone. (I use Avast.)

So far it's fast and fun. With the 6-7 hour 6 cell battery it's a tad tippy, but that's what I expected from other reviews. Nice bright screen, nice click-feel keys. Somewhat tinny speakers with relatively low volume, but not a problem with headphones.

This is what it looks like (in red, of course)
MSI Notebook Official Website

Old 05-05-2009, 09:32 PM

When you have a chance.....check the range on WiFi.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman313 View Post
When you have a chance.....check the range on WiFi.
We have an older Linksys wireless g switch (the DSL has a router in it it), and this gets as good as any of the other full-sized laptops. Which is: other end of the house (55'), down the stairs and into the driveway (which is about half a mile long) maybe 150' or so total before it's unusable.

This system gets an "excellent" and a full five bars out on the front porch, and the other 2 full size laptops only get 3 bars of reception (well, as useful as that little icon is) in the living room.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:23 PM

WOW!!! from the little system..... that's excellent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers