U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 01:21 AM

11,715 posts, read 36,341,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
I don't even know what NIC is, but you tell me and I'll find it and check it out

How do I find my IP address?
NIC = network card

Right click My Computer, Manage. Find your network card under Network Adapters and double click. On the advanced tab, there's a list with a bunch of things you can change. Look around for something like "speed and duplex". It should be set to auto but you can override it. The slowest (and most reliable if you're having cabling issues) is 10mbit + half duplex.

You can check your IP address by going to What Is My IP Address? - IP Address Lookup, Internet Speed Test, IP Info, plus more. That'll give your your Internet IP address which is what Yahoo or any web server will see you as using. Your network card may have a different IP address depending on your exact network equipment and settings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 01:36 AM

13,387 posts, read 16,962,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
NIC = network card

Right click My Computer, Manage. Find your network card under Network Adapters and double click. On the advanced tab, there's a list with a bunch of things you can change. Look around for something like "speed and duplex". It should be set to auto but you can override it. The slowest (and most reliable if you're having cabling issues) is 10mbit + half duplex.

You can check your IP address by going to What Is My IP Address? - IP Address Lookup, Internet Speed Test, IP Info, plus more. That'll give your your Internet IP address which is what Yahoo or any web server will see you as using. Your network card may have a different IP address depending on your exact network equipment and settings.
Thank You

Under "Computer manager" I found "select computer" with a chioce of "local" or "another" and "another" had already been selected, (but not by me) so I changed it tp "local"

Old 04-14-2009, 07:32 AM

11,727 posts, read 11,309,113 times
Quote:
I don't even know what NIC is, but you tell me and I'll find it and check it out

How do I find my IP address?
NIC is an acronym for Network Interface Card. It is rarely an actual card any more, but the acronym stuck anyway.

You can find your IP address by opening a command windows and typing IPCONFIG.

One thing I find frequently useful is to place an icon for the NIC on the systray next to the clock. That way you will get a notification if your connection status changes. You can place one there by opening Network Connections in the Coltrol Panel, right click on the one you are using and select Properties, then put a check in the box that says "Show icon in notification area when connected." It actually shows the icon all the time.

BTW, feel free to ask for translations of any other TLA's that you may encounter. (That is an acronym for Three Letter Acronyms.)

Last edited by mensaguy; 04-14-2009 at 07:34 AM.. Reason: added the BTW.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:00 AM

16,308 posts, read 25,267,295 times
Quote:
I work at the business and it's only being used to hold files. There's niether a cable or phone line connected to it.
That sounds like it is connected to the network at the business, and if the business has a connection to the internet, your old PC is also connected to the internet, a cable or phone line connection to the PC is not required, only the LAN network connection.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:46 PM

Not to go off topic, but this morning I turned this one on, everything was fine until I logged in. After I logged in to the desk top, the screen flashed and the resolution tripled. I went to the control panel and if I hadn't read somewhere about the "refresh rate" should be atleast 75, I would have been lost. It was at 57. so I changed it to 75 and that put eveything back to where it was. This happened yesterday, but after rebooting, everything was fine.

I'm just worried about this happening again next time I start up. because somethings have seemed to be changing on it's own.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:19 PM

16,308 posts, read 25,267,295 times
Quote:
Not to go off topic, but this morning I turned this one on, everything was fine until I logged in. After I logged in to the desk top, the screen flashed and the resolution tripled. I went to the control panel and if I hadn't read somewhere about the "refresh rate" should be atleast 75, I would have been lost. It was at 57. so I changed it to 75 and that put eveything back to where it was. This happened yesterday, but after rebooting, everything was fine.

I'm just worried about this happening again next time I start up. because somethings have seemed to be changing on it's own.
Refresh rate has nothing to do with the resolution, but how many times per second the image on the screen is refreshed, which really effects old CRT monitors only.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:41 PM

28,622 posts, read 40,604,922 times
Quote:
I work at the business and it's only being used to hold files. There's niether a cable or phone line connected to it.

NOTE:
The problem with IE stopped last night and I haven't been cut off once today, coincidence?
IE stopped giving errors and the problem goes away, Interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
That sounds like it is connected to the network at the business, and if the business has a connection to the internet, your old PC is also connected to the internet, a cable or phone line connection to the PC is not required, only the LAN network connection.
If there is no cable connected to it there is no network connection internal or otherwise.

Quote:

I'm going to go back over the posts because I can't remember if there has been any discussion about virus scanning, etc. IE is erroring and your resolution is going wacky all by it's lonesome? Makes me wonder if you have a critter running around in the system.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:46 PM

Can you log in from another computer, say at a friend's house and see if the problem is replicated? A test done on a completely separate system will tell you if it's internal (your PC) or external (Someone else really is logging in to your account, or Yahoo is screwed up).

If another PC does not exhibit the same problem, it's internal. If it does, it's external.

Old 04-14-2009, 03:34 PM

No, i have noone elses PC to try.
How can I scan for a virus?

Like I was affraid of...........I just logged back in and everything enlarged......I checked the refresh rate and it was 60 hertz..changed it back to 75 things are alright again.......not as small as I want them, but they fit into the screen

Old 04-14-2009, 07:38 PM

What Anti-virus software do you have installed?

There should be an icon in the system tray (lower right of the screen) for the program. Double click it and the programs control panel should open. Somewhere on the screen there will be mention of scan now, run a scan, etc. That's where you run your scans.

The program should be set up to scan automatically. Unfortunately, the time set for the automatic scan is quite often a time that computer is not turned on. Some will run at boot if they don't run at last set time, but I'm not sure all of them do.

You should also download Malwarebytes and run it. Very good program.

Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.36 - FileHippo.com

Top of green box at right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers