U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 03:42 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,348,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
What even more ridiculous is the fact Microsoft writes bloated OSes in the name of user friendliness. It's the fact there is so much unnecessary overhead that 2GB is needed. It's also the fact that, on some Vista boxes I've worked on, no matter how much RAM you have in your system Vista will use every bit of it.

Sure to a Joe Blow computer user it isn't a big deal to upgraded the RAM, but in an organization that has a couple of thousand, it adds up.
You might want to look up superfetch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 03:45 PM

28,645 posts, read 40,622,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
it's perfectly legal to download a vista dvd from bittorrent and use the key on the sticker that's on the side of your pc.
oem

Old 04-16-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
What even more ridiculous is the fact Microsoft writes bloated OSes in the name of user friendliness. It's the fact there is so much unnecessary overhead that 2GB is needed. It's also the fact that, on some Vista boxes I've worked on, no matter how much RAM you have in your system Vista will use every bit of it.

Sure to a Joe Blow computer user it isn't a big deal to upgraded the RAM, but in an organization that has a couple of thousand, it adds up.
Were you happier running Windows 98 back when 128MB of RAM cost $200?

Old 04-16-2009, 05:23 PM

625 posts, read 1,645,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atheist SC View Post
How are they making money off of Vista? As far as I am aware no one is running all over town so they can upgrade their XP machine, and They would still be selling copies of the new and improved XP on every new machine being sold.

Thats why they are hustling getting Win7 ready for release. Win7 I do actually like, its much faster than Vista--I think I read somewhere its 30% faster than Vista and like 10% faster than XP.

Vista is this decades ME

Old 04-16-2009, 06:18 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,721,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atheist SC View Post
What the hell is a quad core hard drive?
Oh crap! I meant processor, and typed hard drive.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:25 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,543,528 times
In every office I've worked, people loved XP. The one office of mine which migrated to VISTA had to backtrack back to XP because of so many complaints. VISTA just killed morale. My two cents.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:26 PM

526 posts, read 943,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhdave View Post
what an insightful well thought out post

Xp is one of the best os's microsoft ever released, your hate shows your ignorance.
really?!?!? Please google to windows xp 2001... I laugh at your ignorance at the moment business's did not want to upgrade to xp read please they called xp a pig with lipstick lmfao!!!!

Old 04-16-2009, 06:35 PM

16,308 posts, read 25,273,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Reading this thread made me really appreciate my Mac. No need for 8GB of RAM or a quad core hard drive, OS X runs just fine. OS X has had the "eye candy" of Vista for the past 9 years, it's much more stable, and practically virus proof. I haven't touched Windows in almost 5 years.
What is a quad core hard drive

Old 04-16-2009, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossomo View Post
In every office I've worked, people loved XP. The one office of mine which migrated to VISTA had to backtrack back to XP because of so many complaints. VISTA just killed morale. My two cents.
People freak out because they suck at computers and any change completely baffles them. Most people who actually put in the slightest effort to learn it have little to few problems and may actually wind up liking it.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:59 PM

16,308 posts, read 25,273,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Won't do any good to do a clean install. All the bloatware just comes along for the ride unless you want to pay anther chunk of change for an OS straight from MS
I have always made it a practice to wipe and reinstall the OS fresh from media received with the system. If you only put the OS disc in, all that is installed, the crapware is on other CD's.

Perhaps this is true with systems that restore from a hidden partition, but I will not order/accept a system that uses that method. If your HD dies (the most common component to fail in any computer), there goes your copy of the OS, and you can't install a retail version with an OEM key.

Depending on what I'm looking to buy, and the current deals, I buy as a home buyer, or a small business buyer. Business purchasers can have just the OS installed without the crapware, but typically not an option for the Home and Home Office buyer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or