U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2009, 10:04 AM

167 posts, read 472,204 times

Advertisements

When I'm typing emails, the words I type are delayed. Nothing shows up on the screen for a few seconds, and then all of a sudden, the words I've typed fly onto the screen. There is some kind of a delay in my pressing the keys and the letters appearing on the screen.

I've checked the connection on the monitor, - and it's OK. Any ideas why this delay is happening?

Thank you ~ serena
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 10:31 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,721,106 times
It's not your keyboard, it's the system itself.

How old is it?
How much RAM does it have?
Have you run a malware scan before?
Do you know what programs load at startup?

Old 04-15-2009, 11:12 AM

Default keyboard problem

The computer is only a few months old.

It's a Dell and it has a weird operating system called "Ubuntu 8.04."

The Comcast Cable guy said maybe I should get it upgraded to Windows XP.

It has 2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz 2DIMMs. (whatever that means) I don't know what a malware scan is.

I'm not computer literate.

Do you think I should get Windows XP. Would that help? Thanks for your assistance.

serena

Old 04-15-2009, 11:32 AM

18,540 posts, read 55,453,855 times
You could be using an editor that is actually on the other side of a net connection. Try typing in another application to see if the problem is the same. If the typing is fine there, find a good email program to replace what you are using.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:15 PM

16,308 posts, read 25,264,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena123 View Post

It has 2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz 2DIMMs. (whatever that means) I don't know what a malware scan is.

Do you think I should get Windows XP. Would that help? Thanks for your assistance.

serena
Don't take advise from "the cable guy"

Ubuntu (a version of Linux) should run very well on your system, I suspect your are typing on a web base application, and the lag is due to your connection speed, and the normal latency associated with network connections.

It is NOT your keyboard.

Old 04-15-2009, 03:07 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,721,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena123 View Post

serena
My bad I missed the 'typing emails' part. Good thing it wasn't a snake.

Anyhow, as others have said it could be the email application itself. Try using your word processor and see if the problem continues.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:53 AM

Default Computer Problems

Thanks, all !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers