U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 11:18 AM

16,308 posts, read 25,273,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
He's got a screaming fast quad core water cooled system with a 7 year old OS that can't even address more than 2.5GB of RAM.
And this outrages you so? Why? What part of your makeup causes you to worry so about free choices that others make, or what flaws creates the insecurity that you feel the need to ridicule their choice. Your wondrous Vista can only access 4GB, a limitation of every 32 bit processor. You know 2^32 = 4,294,967,296. How limiting

I'm happy your happy with Vista, I'm very happy with XP, and it does everything I ask of it, and I don't have to play its games of "mother may I". If that outrages you, well just get over it.

Memory is not the issue, when I render videos, or work in Photoshop, the I/O is the bottle neck, even with SATA II drives, not the memory.

I skipped ME, and I will skip Vista, yet I still ocassionally come across the ME user that just loves it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 11:25 AM

11,715 posts, read 36,348,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
And this outrages you so? Why? What part of your makeup causes you to worry so about free choices that others make, or what flaws creates the insecurity that you feel the need to ridicule their choice. Your wondrous Vista can only access 4GB, a limitation of every 32 bit processor. You know 2^32 = 4,294,967,296. How limiting
Did you miss the part about 64 bit Vista being the standard OS on new PCs and there not being an XP MCE 64 bit?

I'm not outraged, just laughing at people who can't move on. It's like watching someone buy a Corvette and special ordering M rated tires for it because that's what their old Pinto had.

Why are YOU so defensive?

Old 04-16-2009, 12:32 PM

10,755 posts, read 18,015,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I agree. It's pathetic how so many are clinging to XP on high end systems that really would benefit from Vista. I can totally understand on a low end or older system, but there comes a point where you just have to move on.
Vista is never going to overcome it's Windows ME like reputation, even if it has become a fairly stable OS after SP1, I think it just got too much bad press. I skipped it entirely and am using Server 08 x64, a great desktop OS once tweaked.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Vista is never going to overcome it's Windows ME like reputation, even if it has become a fairly stable OS after SP1, I think it just got too much bad press. I skipped it entirely and am using Server 08 x64, a great desktop OS once tweaked.
I'll agree that the perception is bad it's not a bad OS. Most people who complain about it have never used it. They've just heard it's bad and since they don't know squat about computers, they believe everything they hear. It reminds me of when people were saying Windows 2000 was the greatest OS ever and XP was 100% pure crap. Uh, they're practically the same thing with some GUI changes. XP was a .1 upgrade from 2000. Before that, the NT4 fanboys were saying that Windows 2000 was the buggiest OS ever. I remember reading wild claims of it having 20,000 known bugs that Microsoft was refusing to fix. Yeah, OK.

Vista was a whole version upgrade like 2000 was and there's always going to be issues with third party compatibility. It's always happened like that but people act like Vista is the first new OS to break old apps or peripherals. Win7 is a .1 upgrade from Vista and people are acting like it's a total rewrite and the second coming of Christ.

I think most PC users are a deadly combination of ignorant and autistic. Any change scares the crap out of them. OMG they renamed My Computer to Computer!!!! Those bast@Rdz!!! How will I ever cope with this?!?!?! I hope I never get so old that I completely close my mind to anything new or different.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:57 PM

28,645 posts, read 40,622,302 times
I ran into something today that irritated me in Vista. I haven't had time to research it so it may be an easy edit.

A client wanted to see pictures in a thumbnail in Explorer. Sorry, can't find it in the menu.

Anyone know where it is? I'll wager it's easy, I just didn't have the time to look for it.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:59 PM

10,755 posts, read 18,015,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I ran into something today that irritated me in Vista. I haven't had time to research it so it may be an easy edit.

A client wanted to see pictures in a thumbnail in Explorer. Sorry, can't find it in the menu.

Anyone know where it is? I'll wager it's easy, I just didn't have the time to look for it.
Click on "Views" at the top of the window and adjust the slider

Old 04-16-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
On a slightly related note, in Explorer and IE, you can get access to the traditional menu File/Edit/View menu by tapping the ALT key.

Old 04-16-2009, 05:36 PM

Quote:
That's what threw me. It wasn't there! This is Vista Ultimate and I expected it to be an option. I went through that list 5 times and couldn't believe what I was (wasn't) seeing.

Old 04-16-2009, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
On a slightly related note, in Explorer and IE, you can get access to the traditional menu File/Edit/View menu by tapping the ALT key.
Thank you, I'll try that. I wish I had time to spend putzing around in Vista so I would know where things are. One of these days....

Old 04-16-2009, 06:38 PM

526 posts, read 943,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhdave View Post
vista is never going to overcome it's windows me like reputation, even if it has become a fairly stable os after sp1, i think it just got too much bad press. I skipped it entirely and am using server 08 x64, a great desktop os once tweaked.
well dont sell 7 for 5 years, cut support for xp completely!
And then watch vista sales soar..
They need to cut xp support..

Hey guys lets continue support for windows 95! Why cuz im a whining consumer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers