U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-15-2009, 09:43 PM
 
11,715 posts, read 36,341,277 times
Reputation: 7514

Advertisements

2.5GB RAM.

That's what he gets for being all afraid of Vista.

What a waste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-15-2009, 10:05 PM
 
16,308 posts, read 25,267,295 times
Reputation: 8302
Think of all the nagging that they are not enduring with XP, think how much better applications run, the lack of compatibility issues with applications.

Not sure how you use your computer, but I interface very little with the OS, I run applications, the OS only manages the launching of those applications, memory management, hardware management, and the file system. XP does an excellent job of doing all that, and just stays the hell out of my way, without asking ad nauseum "are you sure", or complaining because I disable the inbuilt nanny.

I'm glad you like Vista, but I'm not sure what your goal of criticizing people that are running the most stable version of Windows ever comes from, or why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2009, 10:12 PM
 
11,715 posts, read 36,341,277 times
Reputation: 7514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Think of all the nagging that they are not enduring with XP, think how much better applications run, the lack of compatibility issues with applications.

Not sure how you use your computer, but I interface very little with the OS, I run applications, the OS only manages the launching of those applications, memory management, hardware management, and the file system. XP does an excellent job of doing all that, and just stays the hell out of my way, without asking ad nauseum "are you sure", or complaining because I disable the inbuilt nanny.

I'm glad you like Vista, but I'm not sure what your goal of criticizing people that are running the most stable version of Windows ever comes from, or why.
I turn UAC off so there's no more nagging than XP. All of the programs I use run just fine in Vista but then I don't insist on running stuff from 1997. If I did, I'd run them in a VM. Vista is just as stable as XP in my experience. I'm laughing at people screwing themselves out of 1.5GB of RAM because they're stuck in the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2009, 10:29 PM
 
16,308 posts, read 25,267,295 times
Reputation: 8302
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I'm laughing at people screwing themselves out of 1.5GB of RAM because they're stuck in the past.
Sticking with what works. Vista offers nothing that I want or need, yet would lighten the wallet by several hundred dollars. Same reason I drive a 12 year old truck, there is nothing a new truck offers, except payments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2009, 05:16 AM
 
Location: MA
69 posts, read 203,994 times
Reputation: 51
This is not a "Vista vs. XP" issue at all - it's a 32-bit vs. 64-bit OS issue. Anyone with Vista 32-bit would have the same memory addressing issues as the person with XP 32-bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2009, 06:29 AM
 
10,753 posts, read 18,008,790 times
Reputation: 10244
Quote:
Originally Posted by etk1131 View Post
This is not a "Vista vs. XP" issue at all - it's a 32-bit vs. 64-bit OS issue. Anyone with Vista 32-bit would have the same memory addressing issues as the person with XP 32-bit.
100% correct The OP seems to have missed that fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2009, 10:10 AM
 
16,308 posts, read 25,267,295 times
Reputation: 8302
If Vista is so great, why is Windows 7 being advanced so fast by M$. RC is due out next month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2009, 10:23 AM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC (in my mind)
7,946 posts, read 15,225,410 times
Reputation: 4522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
If Vista is so great, why is Windows 7 being advanced so fast by M$. RC is due out next month.
It's not being advanced "so fast". MS is back on schedule of a new version every 2.5-3 years. Six years of XP was an anomaly. XP SP2 should have been an interim release in itself and in fact was initially planned that way. Microsoft has admitted that going six years between releases was a mistake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2009, 10:32 AM
 
11,715 posts, read 36,341,277 times
Reputation: 7514
Quote:
Originally Posted by etk1131 View Post
This is not a "Vista vs. XP" issue at all - it's a 32-bit vs. 64-bit OS issue. Anyone with Vista 32-bit would have the same memory addressing issues as the person with XP 32-bit.
Here's the problem with that. He wanted media center. There's no XP MCE 64 bit. To address all of his memory with XP, he'd have to get XP Pro x64 and give up media center. And 64 bit XP has terrible driver support compared to Vista64. He could have gotten Vista Home Premium 64 bit (which is pretty much the default OS on new PCs these days) and gotten media center and all of his memory. He's got a screaming fast quad core water cooled system with a 7 year old OS that can't even address more than 2.5GB of RAM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2009, 10:45 AM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC (in my mind)
7,946 posts, read 15,225,410 times
Reputation: 4522
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Here's the problem with that. He wanted media center. There's no XP MCE 64 bit. To address all of his memory with XP, he'd have to get XP Pro x64 and give up media center. And 64 bit XP has terrible driver support compared to Vista64. He could have gotten Vista Home Premium 64 bit (which is pretty much the default OS on new PCs these days) and gotten media center and all of his memory. He's got a screaming fast quad core water cooled system with a 7 year old OS that can't even address more than 2.5GB of RAM.
I agree. It's pathetic how so many are clinging to XP on high end systems that really would benefit from Vista. I can totally understand on a low end or older system, but there comes a point where you just have to move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top