U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 11:56 AM

16,308 posts, read 25,273,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazboy View Post
I don't know if this is the BEST solution but it works for me. First of all, I always make a sub-folder of the "C" drive and name it "Doug's Stuff".
#1 you are backing up, and I'm not here to criticize that, more people need to understand how important it is BEFORE a problem occurs.

I would make a suggestion though, backup you latest changes to only one of the drives. Then the next time make your backup to the other drive.

That will provide you with very reliable backups, and will also provide you with an older version of your data in case you inadvertently end up backing up a corrupted file, as three copies of a corrupted file is worthless.

Commercial backup software maintains libraries of older versions of files just for such occurrences.

Having copies of files on two separate hard drives (the computer's and one external) is expectationaly safer than having it on only one drive. And as mentioned above, keeping one of them off site protects your data in a worst case scenario.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 12:08 PM

2,365 posts, read 10,455,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
Ever lose your computer data?

I'm hurting bad. My 16gb PQI USB stick failed during a 1 gb transfer of a big folder. Then when I moved from Houston to Chicago I lost another 16 GB Sandisk Cruzer stick [as well as my $1000 JVC HD Camcorder].

Now, some really bad stuff happened again. My external Antec Drive with the infamous Seagate 1.5 TB drive just conked out - gotta send it to a Data Recovery firm or maybe will Seagate send my Data to me?

I'm fed up with losing data! I'm finally gonna get a RAID 5 system going with a QNAP TS-509 Pro and 4 Samsung Spinpoint 1TB drives!

LOSING DATA IS REALLY HURTING! I LOST MY 2007 TAX FORMS, Special Proe Cabling Training data, and lotsa photos and MP3s [if I can't recover my data].

How was your experience losing and recovering data and paying to get it back?

advice: print everything up in addition to saving it!! If it is important! And they have online sites where you can backup everything for a price!

Old 04-18-2009, 05:27 PM

4,791 posts, read 13,331,901 times
No need to backup guys! I'll just use my computer for main storage and almost everything on the QNAP TS-509 is a backup. But I'm gonna this NAS as a web site hoster too!

Old 04-18-2009, 06:22 PM

131 posts, read 312,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Where do you keep your backups? Is one off-site? You could probably do away with one of the exterals and replace it with an Internet based backup. I use Jungledisk. You can have it automatically backup your folder and even keep old versions of files.
I keep both backups right next the the computer I'm backing up. Now that you mention it, that's probably not the smartest idea. If there's a fire, I'm basically screwed.

I agree that internet-based backup systems are the ultimate - never heard of Jungledisk, but another one I've heard a LOT about is called Carbonite. But something bothers me about the whole idea of online backups. Who's going to stop the Feds from snooping around everyone's data without us knowing about it? If the Feds want to see what I have on my hard-drive, they're not going to stop just because it's unConstitutional.

I certainly do NOT mean to get political (I hate politics) but an invasive, obtrusive Soviet-style central government will affect my decision on where to store my data.

...Doug

Old 04-18-2009, 06:33 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,348,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazboy View Post
I keep both backups right next the the computer I'm backing up. Now that you mention it, that's probably not the smartest idea. If there's a fire, I'm basically screwed.

I agree that internet-based backup systems are the ultimate - never heard of Jungledisk, but another one I've heard a LOT about is called Carbonite. But something bothers me about the whole idea of online backups. Who's going to stop the Feds from snooping around everyone's data without us knowing about it? If the Feds want to see what I have on my hard-drive, they're not going to stop just because it's unConstitutional.

I certainly do NOT mean to get political (I hate politics) but an invasive, obtrusive Soviet-style central government will affect my decision on where to store my data.

...Doug
Check out Jungledisk. It lets you create your own encryption key that only you know so the host can't see it if they wanted to. It runs as a service and backs up whatever you want on whatever schedule you choose. It uses Amazon's S3 storage servers and costs $0.15/GB/mo for storage. Jungledisk also creates a network drive on your system to represent your online storage so you can drag and drop files or use another backup app if you wish.

I tried Carbonite recently because it's supposedly unlimited storage for $50/yr but the deal killer for me was that they decide what types of files get uploaded. They won't automatically backup executables or iso's for example. I have archive files containing tons of such files and with Carbonite I'd have to manually select each file for backup.

Old 04-18-2009, 10:52 PM

1,444 posts, read 2,573,389 times
Quote:
No need to backup guys! I'll just use my computer for main storage and almost everything on the QNAP TS-509 is a backup. But I'm gonna this NAS as a web site hoster too!
There's always a need to backup. It could be just me(perhaps someone more knowledgeable could advise), it seems like a bad idea to keep your backups on an active web server.

Personally, I back my stuff up to an external hard drive and to DVD and keep the DVD's off site.

Old 04-19-2009, 10:40 AM

16,308 posts, read 25,273,417 times
Quote:
No need to backup guys!
Then please explain why you lost data, and how it could have been prevented. One of us doesn't see the big picture here, and I'm pretty sure it isn't me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or