Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 05:39 AM

4,789 posts, read 14,742,040 times

Advertisements

Ever lose your computer data?

I'm hurting bad. My 16gb PQI USB stick failed during a 1 gb transfer of a big folder. Then when I moved from Houston to Chicago I lost another 16 GB Sandisk Cruzer stick [as well as my $1000 JVC HD Camcorder].

Now, some really bad stuff happened again. My external Antec Drive with the infamous Seagate 1.5 TB drive just conked out - gotta send it to a Data Recovery firm or maybe will Seagate send my Data to me?

I'm fed up with losing data! I'm finally gonna get a RAID 5 system going with a QNAP TS-509 Pro and 4 Samsung Spinpoint 1TB drives!

LOSING DATA IS REALLY HURTING! I LOST MY 2007 TAX FORMS, Special Proe Cabling Training data, and lotsa photos and MP3s [if I can't recover my data].

How was your experience losing and recovering data and paying to get it back?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 09:59 AM

1,532 posts, read 2,647,709 times
Ok, I don't know all the technical wording for everything, so excuse me! About 3 years ago, the hard drive on my computer at work just completely crashed on me! I could not get anything out of it. One of my co-workers is very computer literate, and he could not get anywhere with it! We ended up buying and installing a new hard drive, but in the meantime, I had been less than consistent with my back ups - - - hadn't done one in three months (didn't seem that long)!!

I had to go back and recreate everything for the past three months! Luckily, I kept good enough paper records that I was able to do this, but what a pain! Taught me a lesson, though - - - now I never miss a back up!

Sorry about your situation! Good luck!

Old 04-16-2009, 03:12 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,443,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
Ever lose your computer data?

I'm hurting bad. My 16gb PQI USB stick failed during a 1 gb transfer of a big folder. Then when I moved from Houston to Chicago I lost another 16 GB Sandisk Cruzer stick [as well as my $1000 JVC HD Camcorder].

Now, some really bad stuff happened again. My external Antec Drive with the infamous Seagate 1.5 TB drive just conked out - gotta send it to a Data Recovery firm or maybe will Seagate send my Data to me?

I'm fed up with losing data! I'm finally gonna get a RAID 5 system going with a QNAP TS-509 Pro and 4 Samsung Spinpoint 1TB drives!

LOSING DATA IS REALLY HURTING! I LOST MY 2007 TAX FORMS, Special Proe Cabling Training data, and lotsa photos and MP3s [if I can't recover my data].

How was your experience losing and recovering data and paying to get it back?
RAID5 is not a backup solution. I suggest you learn to backup your data before you lose more. And no, Seagate will not send you your data. Their liability is limited to replacing the drive under warranty with a refurbished drive.

Old 04-16-2009, 03:20 PM

46 posts, read 139,346 times
USB sticks are notoriously unreliable, we use them only as a faster solution to downloading drivers and applications etc from the internet or servers, when installing onto a clients equipment, and even then there are always at least two backup copies of what's on the stick. If I'm advising someone on transferring or backing up smaller amounts of data I usually suggest they burn it to DVD, or multiple DVD's (we're all laptops and everyone has a DVD burner) or CD. As for data storage at work, assuming it's a standard setup advise is always the same - "the C drive is NOT the place to store anything you wouldn't want to loose".

Old 04-16-2009, 04:22 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,988,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
RAID5 is not a backup solution. I suggest you learn to backup your data before you lose more. And no, Seagate will not send you your data. Their liability is limited to replacing the drive under warranty with a refurbished drive.
X2, RAID protects you against one thing, failure of a hard drive due to defect. If one drive in a RAID set gets taken out due to outside influence (power surge, etc) there's a good chance the others in the set will suffer the same fate, bye bye data. If a virus infects your system, all drives in the set are infected, your much better off investing in external storage and performing regular backups, keeping the backup drive disconnected from the PC unless actually performing a backup. The chances that the system drive AND the external backup drive both croaking at the same time are pretty slim.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:12 PM

I don't trust your answers as to RAID 5 data integrity... See RAID - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I bought the QNAP TS-509 Pro with 5 Samsung 1 TB drive today... $1380 shipped from MWAVE.com!

It's an awesome NAS, and I'm SO TIRED OF LOSING DATA!

Old 04-16-2009, 06:20 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,116,285 times
It can function as a backup if it isn't used as the working drive. IE: work locally and backup to the NAS. I use mine more as a fault tolerant storage space for my media and a file server for sharing between devices on my network. I do create backups (ghosting my entire laptop drive to the NAS for example) also though. I mean with that many terabytes of space you might as well make use of it, lol.

Keep in mind this isn't an off-site backup so if you lose your house or office or whatever you will still lose your data.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:44 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,522,660 times
Quote:
My external Antec Drive with the infamous Seagate 1.5 TB drive just conked out - gotta send it to a Data Recovery firm or maybe will Seagate send my Data to me?

I hope you got some deeeeeep pockets, as data recovery is expensive, and still no guarentee.

Segate and every other disk vendor make it very very clear. They don't give a damn about your data. If the drive fails under warranty, they will replace the drive only. YOU are responsible for safeguarding your data by backing it up on a regular basis.

The most likely component to fail in any computer is the hard drive (50% of all hardware failures), combined that with the fact that the most common reason for data loss is human error, well it appears you are the poster child to support the theory.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:53 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,443,013 times
Quote:
I don't trust your answers as to RAID 5 data integrity... See RAID - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I bought the QNAP TS-509 Pro with 5 Samsung 1 TB drive today... $1380 shipped from MWAVE.com!

It's an awesome NAS, and I'm SO TIRED OF LOSING DATA!
So what happens when your only copy of an irreplaceable file is on your RAID set and you accidentally delete it, overwrite it, or a power failure or software glitch corrupts the array? You're no more protected than someone with a single disk. As NHDave said, RAID is designed to protect you against a drive failing. Expecting it to do more than that is extremely foolish.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:27 PM

Doesn't Wiki say that RAID 5 protects you from data loss from 1 failed hard drive?

Stay away from Seagate Drives people! THEY STINK AND ARE FAILING A LOT!

See -- Updated: Seagate 1TB Drives Biting The Dust - Tom's Hardware

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 drives failing - The Inquirer

Seagate Knowledge Base (http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=207931 - broken link)

I have the CC1H firmware and it still failed!

Last edited by Jesse69; 04-16-2009 at 07:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers