U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 10:08 AM

2,299 posts, read 3,492,539 times

Advertisements

I've had:

1) A system totally fried when a neighbor was hit by lightening, and the surge came in via roommates phone line into her PC, (it was toast), then through our LAN to scorch my PC, (that had power protection via UPS but LAN protection wasn't available back then).

2) A few years later, another neighbor's invisible fence was hit by lightening, melting it off their garage wall. That time my system was protected with a high-end UPS, and everything was protected by the zapped UPS. (APC replaced their in-warranty UPS so fast and easy that this is the only brand I get from now on.)

3) A few years later, in my apartment, the cable system had a power surge (cause unknown). That time my system was protected with a high-end UPS (but I had been too lazy to include routing the Cable through the UPS, before going to the router). This one killed the modem/router/wifi and also the network circuits of my laptop.
I replaced the modem/etc. and got a $15 Eathernet-to-USB converter and plugged into my laptop's USB.

Bottom line, electricity is magic. It goes where it wants to.
Practice Safe Computing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 07:45 PM

138 posts, read 120,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
I've had:
1) A system totally fried when a neighbor was hit by lightening, and the surge came in via roommates phone line into her PC, (it was toast), then through our LAN to scorch my PC, (that had power protection via UPS but LAN protection wasn't available back then).
An incoming path is defined. But we were taught that electricity must also have an outgoing path. Otherwise no electricity exists. In each case, what was an outgoing path that existed simultaneously. Most who make conclusions forget that; resulting in only speculation.

A surge was incoming on the phone line. It completely ignored what is best protection required to be on all phone lines (even long before PCs existed). It then entered a phone and LAN and went no where? What was an outgoing path to earth?

Learn how damage typically happens. Lightning strikes AC mains many blocks down the street. Lightning is hunting for earth ground. A best connection is via PC and LAN. Outgoing is obvious and easy. Best protection is earthed on all phone lines. Phone line is often an outgoing path. Damage is often on the outgoing path - that was only speculated as an incoming path.

Conclusions only from observation is classic junk science. We were taught this in elementary school science. (Moldy bread breeds life - maggots? Standing water creates live - mosquito larva?) Never forget science when making a conclusion.

What is a best outgoing path to earth? Invisible dog fence. Incoming on AC mains. Outgoing via that earth ground connection. Again, damage is on an outgoing path - that fence controller.

TV cable is required to have protection superior to what is on phones. A hardwire (with no protector) make a short connection to earth BEFORE entering. Somehow a surge ignored that earth ground? Then found a destructive path to earth via modem/router and eithernet ports? Of course not.

Some numbers. That ethernet port has protection (ie 2000 volts) superior to what a UPS claims to provide. Nothing stops a surge - especially a plug-in protector. Or even less protection in a UPS. Don't take my word for it. Read those specification numbers. Tiniest protection is usually inside a UPS. Less than the undersized joules in a power strip.

Only incoming wires, not required to have protection, are AC mains. Those wires are most exposed to surges. If 'whole house' protection is not properly earthed, then a surge is invited inside to hunt for earth ground destructively via appliances.

That surge is incoming to everything. Is everything damaged? Of course not. It hunts for and damages what makes a best outgoing connection. Modem / router, invisible fence, etc gave a surge a best connection to earth thereby protecting dishwasher, GFCIs, furnace, clocks, refrigerator, dimmer switches, central air, recharging electronics, LED & CFL bulbs, microwave oven - literally everything. What most needs protection during a surge? Smoke detectors.

Did you put an expensive UPS on all those? Informed consumers spend $1 per appliance to protect everything - even from direct lightning strikes. Best protection is that expensive. Effective protection necessary to even protect tiny joules in a power strip protector and tinier joules inside a UPS. Effective protection means nobody even knew a direct lightning strike happened. A protector that has numbers for protection even from direct lightning strikes.

Critical is what actually does protection. No protector - not one - does that protection. Plug-in protectors are ineffective - do not even claim such protection. 'Whole house' protector means protection from all types of surges ... only if properly earthed.

Protection is always about the answer to this question. Where are hundreds of thousands of joules harmlessly absorbed? A protector is only as effective as its earth ground.

Damage occurred because a surge was all but invited inside - and found a destructive path to earth via appliances.

This well proven science contradicts what most were taught by hearsay and advertising.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers