U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 10:10 AM

602 posts, read 1,792,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Also - with a Mac, you can still run Windows in a virtual environment via VMWare.
Or you can use BootCamp that comes with Mac OS 10.5, which creates a partition on your drive and allows full Windows capabilities on your Mac. It really is the best of both worlds, although I find myself using Windows less and less on my Mac Mini.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 09:29 PM

25,463 posts, read 12,332,220 times
My MacBook Pro provides everything that I need. While I was a Realtor I used Bootcamp and installed Windows XP with my 1 disk. Easiest thing to go from Mac to Windows and back. Now that I have retired I eliminated the Windows 'side'.

I also have an iMac that I truly love. Back in 1991 I had a PC designed for my real estate needs and it cost over $3600.00. Went to a Gateway which I really enjoyed and never had any problems with it. Still have it and the grandsons use it to play games when they visit. The oldest, 16 years, grandson would rather have my Apple computers by far. Of course the youngest, 10 years, loves them also.

My laptop is about 3 years old and, knock on wood, still works beautifully. Both of my Apples were bought through the Apple Store and were 'refurbished'!!! Great buys and well worth the money.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:37 AM

652 posts, read 1,602,091 times
For all the grief I've had I regret switching from mac. I started with a
Quadra900 and taught myself. It didn't do much with it but what I did was probelm free. I switched to PC because I heard it would be faster andf better. I had nothing but trouble and anxiety about my computer ever since. I adapted to it and just got used to all the problems as if it were normal. Now that i've seen this page and read it I am going to seriously look at an apple.
On a different note; does any laptop come built in such a way that the motherboard will accept whatever upgrades come in the future, like much larger Hard Drives, much larger Processors, etc...

Old 04-28-2009, 02:20 PM

620 posts, read 1,884,489 times
About the only upgrade path with a laptop is to add RAM or increase the HD size. If there's a laptop out there that accommodates processor upgrades, I'm not aware of it. That's a small matter, though. If you buy an Apple laptop (Apple, because that narrows the processor field to some pretty fast units), what they are selling now is fast enough to negate the need for speed bump upgrades for several years to come.

Apple's processors and OS are multi-threading, multi-tasking, etc. Yet, even with running several programs at once in normal use, your processor is going to be resting a lot. You will only be utilizing the processor to it's fullest during Photoshop renderings or when digitally compressing video or music or when running the most graphics intensive games. The current crop of Mac Laptops performs those tasks very well, no matter which one you have. In a year or two you may want to bump to more rendering speed, if Moore's Law continues to prevail. If the speed increase is important enough to you to upgrade, you buy a new laptop, transfer your contents, and sell your older laptop. That's just the way it's done. Apple provides an automated transfer to new computer function in their OS for you, so the process is pretty painless.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:52 PM

532 posts, read 2,132,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truemuck View Post
Or you can use BootCamp that comes with Mac OS 10.5, which creates a partition on your drive and allows full Windows capabilities on your Mac. It really is the best of both worlds, although I find myself using Windows less and less on my Mac Mini.
I know im going to jinx myself by posting this, i wanted to wait till the end of the school year.

I set up an engineering lab at my school with boot camp last summer. Not only is the prof thrilled with its performance, a tech HAS NOT STEPPED FOOT in his lab this year running bootcamp with winxp. He is using it due to software that is win specific. Due to this, we are now converting the other engineering lab to imac's as well. They use about 30% osx and 70% winxp. No reimagings, no bluescreens, etc. They actually (my view, not his opinion) run better than they did on good dell hardware they ran last year. Hard to dispute for me as a windows guy. We are now getting an osxserv and I will be learning how to better manage osx hosts, as they arent going anywhere. (we actually ordered about 40 more)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers