U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 09:01 PM

1,464 posts, read 3,788,232 times

Advertisements

help!
I am trying to re-install windows XP home on my PC. I do not have a recovery/back up copy.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 10:09 PM

1,097 posts, read 3,619,219 times
You're going to have a hard time installing software without a copy of the software.

Is XP already on the computer? Why do you have to reinstall it?

Thought about ubuntu?

Old 04-22-2009, 06:22 AM

10,753 posts, read 18,005,309 times
What is the make/model of computer?

To Naptowner, I don't see how ubuntu is going to help the OP install XP, can we stick to the problem and not try to push linux on everyone that has an XP issue.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:09 AM

We don't really know what "the problem" is, do we? We know the poster thinks he needs to reinstall the OS, and that he doesn't have a copy of the OS on a disc. I asked him why he needed to reinstall XP, whether there is still an XP installation on the computer, and whether he had thought about Ubuntu. That's hardly "pushing linux" on him. We know he doesn't have a recovery disc or a copy of XP. Maybe he has recovery files on his hard drive, which I assume is what you're getting at by playing 20 questions about the specific model of computer he has. (It would probably be more helpful to point out the poster that he can check with the manufacturer to see what options are available - perhaps he can restore XP from backup files that are already on his hard drive).

But if XP has already been uninstalled, I think it's worth mentioning that there are alternatives out there.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:15 AM

11,717 posts, read 11,305,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naptowner View Post
..... But if XP has already been uninstalled, I think it's worth mentioning that there are alternatives out there.
I'm going to agree with NHDave. OP didn't ask about alternatives; he asked about reinstalling Windows. TOS says we should stay on topic.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:15 AM

16,308 posts, read 25,264,005 times
If the person is a novice and I'll go out on a limb and make that assumption based on their understanding of installing an OS they don't have a copy of that they are a novice, then they really do not need to be jumping into any Linux distro.

My guess is that they are asking how they could get a copy of XP to install.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:54 PM

Since you folks seem so concerned with staying on topic, does anyone have any useful suggestions for the OP, or are you more interested in discussing how wrong it was for me to ask if he'd considered alternatives (after asking whether he had uninstalled XP and why he thought he needed to re-install it so that I could try to help him)?

Why don't we just skip ahead to the next step?

If he has no recovery files on his hard disk, if he's already uninstalled XP, and if he doesn't have a restore disk or an installation version of XP, what can he do? As I see it, he can either:

A. Contact the manufacturer and attempt to obtain a restore disc; or
B. Buy a copy of XP. Here's a link that will help him do that: Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows XP Home SP3 for System Builders - Operating Systems

God forbid anyone should mention that he can an install another OS for free that will probably do just about everything he wants, without any real difficulty.

Old 04-22-2009, 01:21 PM

16,308 posts, read 25,264,005 times
Quote:
Since you folks seem so concerned with staying on topic, does anyone have any useful suggestions for the OP, or are you more interested in discussing how wrong it was for me to ask if he'd considered alternatives (after asking whether he had uninstalled XP and why he thought he needed to re-install it so that I could try to help him)?
<snip>
God forbid anyone should mention that he can an install another OS for free that will probably do just about everything he wants, without any real difficulty.
Several of those questions have been asked, but no response so far. But you just wanted to rant about being taken to task for suggesting that the user change to an OS they likely have no working knowledge of, and simply scrap all of their data and software investments for XP.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:26 PM

10,753 posts, read 18,005,309 times
Quote:

Why don't we just skip ahead to the next step?

If he has no recovery files on his hard disk, if he's already uninstalled XP, and if he doesn't have a restore disk or an installation version of XP, what can he do? As I see it, he can either:

A. Contact the manufacturer and attempt to obtain a restore disc; or
B. Buy a copy of XP. Here's a link that will help him do that: Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows XP Home SP3 for System Builders - Operating Systems

Until the OP answers the questions we asked we can't recommend a course of action. Your suggestion is similare to the "install firefox" replies in the Internet Explore assistance threads, it 's not needed and it doesn't help.

Old 04-22-2009, 05:50 PM

1,464 posts, read 3,788,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar31 View Post
help!
I am trying to re-install windows XP home on my PC. I do not have a recovery/back up copy.
Thanks
I am going to donate my PC....but in order to ensure that none of my personal data still is on the PC, I have used a program to delete every thing.

I really would like to re-install XP, so the person who gets it will not have to mess with this issue.

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers