U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 08:00 AM

267 posts, read 1,180,861 times

Advertisements

Quad processors are darn expensive. You can have a hand in helping me build my new laptop.

Speed is a priority: when I use my computer for PLEASURE, I can deal with an occasional slowdown. When I use my computer for a WORK or a SCHOOL project and I experience a slowdown, I feel like breaking bodies or punching a hole in the wall.

I'm buying a new laptop. I'll be using it primarily for work and school. I'd say 80% of the time that I use the laptop it will be used for serious 9-5 business stuff, primarily work and school.

That's why when I customize my new laptop I'm going to customize it with 8 gigs of RAM and a quad core processor, to have as much speed as possible and as high a flow rate as possible. Is that a good build strategy?

My work/school laptop will:

>be used for heavy Internet duty

>be used heavily for programs like Dreamweaver, Photoshop and Flash

>i will not be using it for computer games but note: if i have to sell the laptop on Craigslist in a year or two I'd like this laptop to appeal to gamers so I can sell it quicker, faster

>i don't have a lot of disposable income. The quad processor costs a few hundred dollars more. Since I'll be using my computer for work and school, and since I might be making more money a year from now, If I have to (and with your advice) I'll pay the extra cost

Last edited by hotornot; 04-22-2009 at 08:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 09:19 AM

16,308 posts, read 25,273,417 times
But no mention of 64-bit

Old 04-22-2009, 11:36 AM

11,750 posts, read 11,317,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
But no mention of 64-bit
Well, OP does mention 8GB of RAM, which, to my mind, would imply a 64 bit Operating System. My question is: Are these applications optimized for use with Quad-core processors and will they run on a 64-bit Operating System? Buy the computer to match your needs, but make sure everything is going to work before you spend your money.

Last edited by mensaguy; 04-22-2009 at 11:36 AM.. Reason: eliminating optional spelling

Old 04-22-2009, 11:46 AM

339 posts, read 1,149,757 times
There is little or no performance advantage noticed whilst surfing the web between a dual core and a quad core processor. A fast dual core should be good enough for what you need.

Also, 8GB of RAM may be a little excessive.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:47 AM

Default For the record

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Well, OP does mention 8GB of RAM, which, to my mind, would imply a 64 bit Operating System.
Yes, that's correct, any machine using 8 gigs of RAM must use a 64 bit OS.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by collinsl View Post
There is little or no performance advantage noticed whilst surfing the web between a dual core and a quad core processor. A fast dual core should be good enough for what you need.

Also, 8GB of RAM may be a little excessive.
Okay, thanks for shedding some light on this. Aside and totally seperate from the quad vs. duo core issue, I have a basic, bonehead, 101 type question:

In order to ensure snappiness and speed while surfing the Internet and running programs like Dreamweaver, Flash and Photoshop; would it behoove me to aquire a new laptop with as high a GHz number rating as possible? For example, a 3GHz machine would be snappier and faster than a 2GHz machine, correct?

Old 04-22-2009, 04:03 PM

12,717 posts, read 18,854,705 times
I am not sure if any of those applications need a fancy quad core processor - adobe, flash, etc...well maybe if they have heavy video intensive programs. But 8 gigs of RAM? Are you planning on designing the next mars space launch for NASA?

One note however on your idea of "like the laptop to appeal to gamers" for resale. Well most games now don't make use of multi-thread application, so the quad and even the duo is worthless. Not that it matters, they still like the sound of "quad". But more importantly, they will be looking at the video card. You can't easily change a video card on a laptop, so if you have a quad core with a lousy integrated video chip, then expect the gamers to thumb their nose down at it...and a good pre-installed video card, particularly in a laptop, is expensive.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I am not sure if any of those applications need a fancy quad core processor - adobe, flash, etc...well maybe if they have heavy video intensive programs.
Okay, on the same subject of processors, lets say I have two identical machines side-by-side, though one has a 1 GHz processor while the other one has a 2 GHz processor (but they both have the same amount of RAM).

Would the one with a 2 GHz processor run considerably faster while surfing the Internet and working with Adobe programs like Dreamweaver and Photoshop or would there be virtually no difference?

Old 04-22-2009, 05:21 PM

12,717 posts, read 18,854,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotornot View Post
Okay, on the same subject of processors, lets say I have two identical machines side-by-side, though one has a 1 GHz processor while the other one has a 2 GHz processor (but they both have the same amount of RAM).

Would the one with a 2 GHz processor run considerably faster while surfing the Internet and working with Adobe programs like Dreamweaver and Photoshop or would there be virtually no difference?
2ghz definetly. Do they still make machines with 1gz CPUs?

Old 04-22-2009, 06:06 PM

712 posts, read 1,963,989 times
For a basic laptop it doesn't matter.. if you’re a power user.. get the quad.. otherwise.. my only question with a dunno would be are quad's optimized for not draining your battery.. one would hope.. (intel/amd has 1,001 ways to optimize battery's.. but really would that lower your basic battery time from 1 hour to 40 minutes?)

My current duo is (t3200) seems to do about your average hour.. but it really could be 50 minutes.. also apparently there is a inherit design flaw per the geeks that will actually have vista drain your battery a little worse than xp..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers