Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2009, 03:02 PM

2,732 posts, read 6,764,514 times

Advertisements

I burned alot of my Music on CD's as Data in case of a HD crash,etc
Had my computer finally crash and i went to put the music on my..
New computer and it wouldnt let me play the files.
Wanted to install a license?
I ripped them from MY cds,and i could easily move a non-legit Mp3
Should i install the license?
If i put all my music on external hard drive it wouldnt be an issue ever..
Again correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 04:48 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,436,952 times
What program did you use to rip the CDs originally? I remember older versions of Windows Media Player had a default setting that would add DRM to any CDs you ripped. Did you burn those CDs as MP3 CDs or standard uncompressed audio? I believe the Windows Media Player DRM only affects MP3 or WMA files. As you've found out, DRM can bite you when your computer dies or just needs Windows reloaded. Yes, you'll have to install that license to be able to play those songs again. I don't know if you can easily strip the DRM off those files you've already ripped but if you look around in the option you can turn it off so future rips will be plain MP3 files without any BS.

Old 04-22-2009, 05:00 PM

1,095 posts, read 3,996,573 times
Circumventing DRM is a violation of the DMCA (US copyright law), but there are some programs out there that claim to do it. You should have the original audio CDs still, correct? You may have to re-rip the files.

Old 04-22-2009, 05:32 PM

I burned them using Media player into Mp3 format.
I sold alot of the CD's but i can borrow most of the same titles from my brother.
I didnt want to install the License because i thought it might include a Rootkit..
So if i had my music on a memory stick or external drive i would have no issues..
Moving files around?

Old 04-22-2009, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
I burned them using Media player into Mp3 format.
I sold alot of the CD's but i can borrow most of the same titles from my brother.
I didnt want to install the License because i thought it might include a Rootkit..
So if i had my music on a memory stick or external drive i would have no issues..
Moving files around?
If you're seeing what I think you are, it's because those files were DRMed on your old computer. The new computer isn't authorized to play them. The same thing would happen if you reformatted and reloaded Windows. It doesn't matter if you burned those MP3s into a CD, DVD-R, flash drive, or online storage. It's the files themselves which are tainted by DRM and only allowed to play on your old computer that created them because WMP added the DRM for you. Without the license or breaking the DRM, they're not going to play.

Old 04-22-2009, 05:55 PM

Thanks for the help,
DRM seems like a horrible idea IMO,I read online they can actually limit the..
Amount of times you can play & transfer!!!
I just want to make sure im covered if i get a new computer or hard-drive crashes.
Hopefully its only my old computer that DRM'd files.
I plan on having about 100G of music and dont want to deal with the trouble.

Old 04-22-2009, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
Thanks for the help,
DRM seems like a horrible idea IMO,I read online they can actually limit the..
Amount of times you can play & transfer!!!
I just want to make sure im covered if i get a new computer or hard-drive crashes.
Hopefully its only my old computer that DRM'd files.
I plan on having about 100G of music and dont want to deal with the trouble.
I don't think you can change what's already been DRMed, but you can make sure anything you rip in the future isn't crippled. In Windows Media Player, look under Tool, Options, Rip Music tab (I have WMP11), there's a checkbox labeled "Copy Protect Music". Make sure it's unchecked. I believe newer versions default to unchecked but older versions did protect music. I don't know who's brilliant idea it was to default to adding DRM to music you already owned. Also, make sure you're not ripping to to WMA files. I perfer high bitrate MP3's because they're the defacto standard and will play on anything.

Old 04-22-2009, 06:25 PM

1,095 posts, read 3,996,573 times
Do a little googling and you might be able to find some converters, but who knows how well they work?

I agree, applying DRM to music you own just because you're ripping from a CD is ridiculous. Even iTunes stopped DRMing songs you buy from it (which was really a pain because at one point the songs would ONLY work on an ipod, so you were out of luck if you lost yours and replaced it with a Zune.

To be honest, you're probably better off starting over with the CDs where possible instead of jacking around trying to "un-DRM" your files.

To answer a question you posed in one of your first posts - once you rip the CD to non-DRM-protected mp3s, you can transfer those back and forth as often as you like - external hard drive, thumb drive, whatever.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:41 AM

Thanks for the advice,all
I checked my settings last night and copy-protect music isnt checked.
I guess my old computer had the setting without me realizing it.
DRM is horrible and has ruined many PC games as well.
Cheers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers