U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 11:38 AM

526 posts, read 943,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
It's the old "we already have your money so we're not going to lift a finger to update the drivers" mentality from many big companies, HP in particular. That's one big reason I don't like all in one devices. You spend a lot of money to get a device that does multiple things, then one part breaks or they fail to update the drivers and you have to spend your money all over. I have a separate scanner and laser printer. Windows supports the printer natively and the scanner is still supported by Epson, but only in Vista32, not 64 bit. But hey, its probably 7-8 years old.
well thats the problem, many people bought scanners/printers back in 98 and still expect them over 12 years later to run on different code.. i mean come on people...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 02:32 PM

6,144 posts, read 15,602,410 times
Quote:
thats why they cant get rid of XP. its dame near a decade old and has no more use
Except that all the new $379 netbooks I see are loaded with XP, presumably because it's less of a memory hog and is stable and simple to use.

I've set my wife up with my Vista laptop as replacement for her XP desktop, as a test run. So far, the main problem is she is confused about navigating the file structure when saving files and when finding them to attach to emails. It does seem a bit different but I haven't spent enough time monkeying around with it to figure out what's going on. It seems to give each use their own file tree.

At our KW office, the tech guy has not introduced any Vista machines to the network yet, though he says the time is approaching. For the same reasons - continuity of setups, easier to support like machines, software compatibility, etc.

Steve

Old 04-27-2009, 03:04 PM

4,948 posts, read 16,725,653 times
I have Vista and XP both on dell laptops. At first I used the XP all the time, then did decide I
really do need to use Vista. It takes a little getting use to. I do like it, but some xp programs
will not work with Vista, also some older printers also don't do vista.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:18 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,348,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
So far, the main problem is she is confused about navigating the file structure when saving files and when finding them to attach to emails. It does seem a bit different but I haven't spent enough time monkeying around with it to figure out what's going on. It seems to give each use their own file tree.
The graphics are a little different but overall it's pretty much the same. Desktop is still the logical "root" with Computer, Documents, etc below that. The biggest change is that the user's folder is now located under c:\users\%username% instead of c:\documents and settings\%username%. Also, Pictures and Music are peers to Documents now instead of being inside My Documents.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:31 PM

Quote:
The biggest change is that the user's folder is now located under c:\users\%username% instead of c:\documents and settings\%username%. Also, Pictures and Music are peers to Documents now instead of being inside My Documents.
So, if I wanted certain folders to be available to any user, and easy to find no matter who is logged in, is that possible?

The reason I ask is because we use Microsoft Live Sync (formerly FolderShare) to sync our office computer files with home computer files. So, in XP, if I go to My Documents\Work Files\..., the folders and files are there in the same place no matter which computer we are on. Now I notice in Vista the docs are in My Name\Documents\Work Files\... but not in Her Name\Documents.

How would this best be set up to work the way we are use to in Vista?
Steve

Old 04-27-2009, 03:31 PM

16,308 posts, read 25,273,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
No, some mfgrs played the "you gotta buy new hardware game so you can use this device with Vista" thing. Canon did not make a Vista Driver for my old scanner so I bought a new Canon MX850 Multifunction printer / scanner / fax / copier device but it was with the total sale price of $159!
You played right into their hands, planned obsolescence, and roll over consumers that take the bait. How many tons of scanners and other non-Vista supported devices are now in landfills.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:39 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,348,910 times
Quote:
So, if I wanted certain folders to be available to any user, and easy to find no matter who is logged in, is that possible?

The reason I ask is because we use Microsoft Live Sync (formerly FolderShare) to sync our office computer files with home computer files. So, in XP, if I go to My Documents\Work Files\..., the folders and files are there in the same place no matter which computer we are on. Now I notice in Vista the docs are in My Name\Documents\Work Files\... but not in Her Name\Documents.

How would this best be set up to work the way we are use to in Vista?
Steve
Each user has had their own "My Documents" folder for a long time. That's no different between NT, 2000, XP, and Vista. If we each had our own Windows account, your's would be c:\users\austin-steve\documents and mine would be c:\users\escapecalifornia\documents. I think the best way to handle that would be to stick your shared files in c:\users\public\documents and sync that between you home and work. You could then create a shortcut to c:\users\public\documents on each user's desktop or Documents folder.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Each user has had their own "My Documents" folder for a long time. That's no different between NT, 2000, XP, and Vista. If we each had our own Windows account, your's would be c:\users\austin-steve\documents and mine would be c:\users\escapecalifornia\documents. I think the best way to handle that would be to stick your shared files in c:\users\public\documents and sync that between you home and work. You could then create a shortcut to c:\users\public\documents on each user's desktop or Documents folder.
Jeez, I have it set up different on different computers. Just checked my assistant's computer and I have c:\Work Files\ on that one.

I'm getting old and fuzzy in the brain. I better just get out a Big Chief and a #2 and audit all the computers and figure out what's going on.

If I put them in a public folder, doesn't that open them up to any newtwork computer though?

Steve

Old 04-27-2009, 04:21 PM

526 posts, read 943,048 times
Quote:
Except that all the new $379 netbooks I see are loaded with XP, presumably because it's less of a memory hog and is stable and simple to use.

Steve

clearly if you look netbooks are underpowered, which is why they are loaded with xp.. a 8 yr old operating system... like i said stick with xp on older hardware, or something thats underpowered, newer systems is best to keep it vista..
look HP is starting to phase out xp drivers on newer systems, so its a matter of time before its obsolete

Old 04-27-2009, 04:56 PM

16,308 posts, read 25,273,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justalicious6989 View Post
clearly if you look netbooks are underpowered, which is why they are loaded with xp.. a 8 yr old operating system... like i said stick with xp on older hardware, or something thats underpowered, newer systems is best to keep it vista..
look HP is starting to phase out xp drivers on newer systems, so its a matter of time before its obsolete
Clearly Vista, a 2+ year old OS, is incompatible with a great deal of hardware, software, a resource hog, and exactly what does Vista do that XP doesn't, with the exception of being incompatible with software, hardware, and hogging resources?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers