U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 06:35 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,348,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Jeez, I have it set up different on different computers. Just checked my assistant's computer and I have c:\Work Files\ on that one.

I'm getting old and fuzzy in the brain. I better just get out a Big Chief and a #2 and audit all the computers and figure out what's going on.

If I put them in a public folder, doesn't that open them up to any newtwork computer though?

Steve
Only if you enable public folder sharing in Vista. Or just do what you did on the other machine and make a Work Files folder in the root of C.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 08:28 PM

4,791 posts, read 13,331,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Clearly Vista, a 2+ year old OS, is incompatible with a great deal of hardware, software, a resource hog, and exactly what does Vista do that XP doesn't, with the exception of being incompatible with software, hardware, and hogging resources?
Vista is way better on NEW software. Give up on software maybe written for Windows 98? - Like that's so 11 YEARS AGO! And some old software ain't worth it! Like my Dragon Naturally Speaking 10 works WAY BETTER than my 7 version!

So quit whining about Vista on OLD SOFTWARE AND OLD COMPUTERS THAT SUCK ANYWAYS! Get a powerful cheap i7 920 computer like I have [custom built with XFX Geoforce 260 Core 216 Overclocked Black Edition Video card that has TWO MONITORS] - AND VISTA 64 ROCKS!

XP 32 BIT STINKS AND IS STONE AGE! THOSE WHO HATE VISTA PROBABLY JUST SUCCUMB TO HYPE AND DON'T OWN A COMPUTER THAT HAS VISTA 64 SP1! And just use your old computer for old software that doesn't run on Vista!

Old 04-27-2009, 08:44 PM

16,308 posts, read 25,273,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
Vista is way better on NEW software. Give up on software maybe written for Windows 98? - Like that's so 11 YEARS AGO! And some old software ain't worth it! Like my Dragon Naturally Speaking 10 works WAY BETTER than my 7 version!
Office 2007, firefox, Adobe CS3, Quicken 2009, Turbotax, VMWare 6, several video rendering programs, all work just fine and the processor intensive ones just love XP and my quad core.

The OS just loads the program, then the program runs until it passes requests off to the OS for I/O, (disk, optical, scanner, printer, network) which will always be a bottle neck until solid state disks become a cost effective reality

If I had a 64bit box, it would be running XP 64, but I am really amused at your uppercase ranting because some dares to disdain your favorite operations system.

PS: Oh yea, I also backup up my data on a regular basis

Old 04-27-2009, 10:09 PM
JL

7,363 posts, read 12,066,186 times
Vista is slower than molasses!!

Old 04-27-2009, 11:05 PM

3,823 posts, read 13,476,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesLang View Post
Is that in Winter or Summer? Uphill or downhill?

Old 04-27-2009, 11:15 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,348,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesLang View Post
My computer is two years old and it runs Vista fine. Now Vista on my P4-1.8 is another story.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:30 AM

11,750 posts, read 11,317,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
..... So quit whining about Vista on OLD SOFTWARE AND OLD COMPUTERS THAT SUCK ANYWAYS! Get a powerful cheap i7 920 computer like I have [custom built with XFX Geoforce 260 Core 216 Overclocked Black Edition Video card that has TWO MONITORS] - AND VISTA 64 ROCKS!

XP 32 BIT STINKS AND IS STONE AGE! THOSE WHO HATE VISTA PROBABLY JUST SUCCUMB TO HYPE AND DON'T OWN A COMPUTER THAT HAS VISTA 64 SP1! And just use your old computer for old software that doesn't run on Vista!
What give you the right to be so arrogant as to state that someone should get a computer like YOU have (custom built? overclocked?)? There are a lot of people reading this forum that don't even know what those things mean. Many of those same people have no need or desire for using more than one computer in their home. Most of us try to answer questions here with information helpful to the person asking.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:59 AM

526 posts, read 943,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Clearly Vista, a 2+ year old OS, is incompatible with a great deal of hardware, software, a resource hog, and exactly what does Vista do that XP doesn't, with the exception of being incompatible with software, hardware, and hogging resources?
well can we backtrack a little bit, the negative press about vista has reached critical mass with the internet, back in 2001 it was the same about XP " oh its a recourse hog, lipstick on a pig, no need to upgrade from 2000, why upgrade when we just did last year, wasted of money, dont give in to the M$ hog, linux will overpower the market in the near future."

ITS THE SAME THING EXCEPT VISTA BROUGHT INTEGRATED SEARCH,
VARIOUS EDITIONS ALTHOUGH 3 WOULD SUFFICE, IE PROTECTED MODE ( MANY NEED SINCE ITS STILL THE HIGHEST USED BROWSER.
BROKE MANY APPLICATIONS BUT EASIER TO CONNECT A PRINTER/SCANNER OR MUCH HARDWARE THAT IS COMPATIBLE
NETWORKING IS MUCH EASIER WITH BETTER DIAGNOSIS AND REPAIR.
WIRLESS A TAD BETTER THEN XP SP2+ (WE ALL KNOW HOW IT WAS PRE SP2)
SLEEP FEATURE IMPROVED OVER XP
VISTA 64 INNOVATE STEP INTO 64 BIT COMPUTING NO COMPARING TO XP 64.
POP A DVD IN THE DRIVE AND IT AUTOMATICALLY PLAYS IF U HAVE HOME PREMIUM OR ULTIMATE, NO NEED FOR 3RD PARTY OR CODECS LIKE XP
SNIP TOOL IS BETTER THEN USING PRINT SCREEN/ THEN PAINT...
HIGHER LEVEL OF SECURITY WITH UAC ( not quite perfect but will be in future windows) BETTER CODE ALTHOUGH STILL EXPLOITABLE BUT LESS ATTACKS PROVEN ON VARIOUS WEBSITES,
GRANTED ITS PROBBLY NOT THE BEST VERSION, IT STILL BRINGS MORE TO THE TABLE THEN XP.
WINDOWS MEETING SPACE, NO NEED FOR 3RD PARTY APPS LIKE XP
DEFENDER IS ALREADY INSTALLED( SURE ITS BASIC PROTECTION BUT MANY DONT KNOW IT EXISTS FOR XP VIA FREE DOWNLOAD)
READYBOOST (DOES HELP SHAVE A FEW SEC OFF SOME THINGS)
SUPERFETCH ( NOT QUITE READY FOR THE SPOTLIGHT, GREAT CONCEPT BUT NEEDS IMPROVEMENT)
PERENTAL CONTROLS IN BASIC, PREMIUM & ULTIMATE (IMPROVED OVER XP)

JUST A FEW THINGS AS TO WHY U ASK WHAT VISTA DOES THAT XP DOESNT

Old 04-28-2009, 12:07 PM

215 posts, read 538,929 times
All those features of Vista are useless. Parental Controls, wtf? Who the hell even uses that -_- If you do go die.

I do agree with Vista being better, but only the Ultimate version, my god it's only $180 OEM at Newegg. Also, Vista is only decent when you've got 2gb or more of RAM, not this crap you get with only a 1gb of RAM and slow as **** form a computer company.

Though, Windows 7 is JUST LIKE XP, YAY! It's got everything of Vista but doesn't use nearly as many resources than Vista, it uses the memory better as well.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:31 PM

526 posts, read 943,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryceE View Post
All those features of Vista are useless. Parental Controls, wtf? Who the hell even uses that -_- If you do go die.

I do agree with Vista being better, but only the Ultimate version, my god it's only $180 OEM at Newegg. Also, Vista is only decent when you've got 2gb or more of RAM, not this crap you get with only a 1gb of RAM and slow as **** form a computer company.

Though, Windows 7 is JUST LIKE XP, YAY! It's got everything of Vista but doesn't use nearly as many resources than Vista, it uses the memory better as well.
i know quite a few that use it for their kids that might accidentally get to a site that isnt suitable but most dont use it. (killer feature; NO)
seven will be alot better
just like xp did to 2000
7 will do to vista
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers