U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-28-2009, 07:53 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
215 posts, read 538,929 times
Reputation: 63

Advertisements

I'm actually quite knowledgeable in computers, yet my posts probably don't sound like it. I'm bad with words hehehe. But I agree with Tek_Freek, why throw out old hardware? Put it to good use. I got an old Commodore 64 sitting in my closet and what would you know, the thing still works like a charm. I found it at a thrift store as well, so no, I'm not that old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-28-2009, 07:56 PM
 
28,645 posts, read 40,622,302 times
Reputation: 37346
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryceE View Post
I'm actually quite knowledgeable in computers, yet my posts probably don't sound like it. I'm bad with words hehehe. But I agree with Tek_Freek, why throw out old hardware? Put it to good use. I got an old Commodore 64 sitting in my closet and what would you know, the thing still works like a charm. I found it at a thrift store as well, so no, I'm not that old.
Now there is a trip though the Time Warp Gate!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2009, 08:58 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
215 posts, read 538,929 times
Reputation: 63
I saw it and I'm like OMG I must have it! So I bought it for like $5-10 or something like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2009, 11:40 PM
 
Location: Chicago
526 posts, read 943,048 times
Reputation: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
This forum is becoming quite the entertainment venue...
yea it has
i love it though
my only downfall to vista is aero
wish it would run like compiz on ubuntu outta this world the graphics are on 9.04
other than that even running vista basic theme or classic rock!
uhh oohh guys i love vista, i need to see a doctor.
i may have vista flu
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2009, 11:46 PM
 
Location: Chicago
526 posts, read 943,048 times
Reputation: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryceE View Post
I'm actually quite knowledgeable in computers, yet my posts probably don't sound like it. I'm bad with words hehehe. But I agree with Tek_Freek, why throw out old hardware? Put it to good use. I got an old Commodore 64 sitting in my closet and what would you know, the thing still works like a charm. I found it at a thrift store as well, so no, I'm not that old.
right i do agree
its all part of the game.
if we didnt keep buying new the industry would cease to exist
i bet if the economy was back to its state it was in 2000 we wouldnt even be complaining
but sidenote
VISTA ROCKS; I WANT TO MARRY IT EVEN AFTER 7 COMES OUT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2009, 01:50 AM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
215 posts, read 538,929 times
Reputation: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by justalicious6989 View Post
yea it has
i love it though
my only downfall to vista is aero
wish it would run like compiz on ubuntu outta this world the graphics are on 9.04
other than that even running vista basic theme or classic rock!
uhh oohh guys i love vista, i need to see a doctor.
i may have vista flu
I've noticed no slowdowns with aero on vista ultimate, but then again I've got 8gb of ram and an almost 4ghz processor so I guess I wouldn't notice it now would I LOL.

I do wanna get Windows 7 asap, I'm on build 7068 right now on the other partition and it's great, all hardware works for it, everything is perfect on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2009, 10:06 AM
 
Location: Chicago
526 posts, read 943,048 times
Reputation: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryceE View Post
I've noticed no slowdowns with aero on vista ultimate, but then again I've got 8gb of ram and an almost 4ghz processor so I guess I wouldn't notice it now would I LOL.

I do wanna get Windows 7 asap, I'm on build 7068 right now on the other partition and it's great, all hardware works for it, everything is perfect on it.
7 beta is excellent...
what im saying is aero is high on requirements for the system, something i think they should have figured out from the start, then again if they didnt put a high requirement no one would have to upgrade their cards...but hey beggers cant be choosers, so im not going to complain as long as vista turns on im happy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2009, 12:00 PM
 
11,715 posts, read 36,348,910 times
Reputation: 7514
Aero's hardware requirements are overblown. I have a $100 video card that's two years old and has no problem running Aero on two 1080x1050 LCDs. Vista's performance score gives it a 5.9 for desktop/Aero performance and a 5.1 for 3D gaming. Even the video built into this board (Intel 965 chipset, also 2 years old) runs Aero just fine on a single 1080x1050 LCD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2009, 01:14 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
215 posts, read 538,929 times
Reputation: 63
I've got 5.9's across the board and like 7.3 across the board in Windows 7. I've seen no one get 7.9 across the board in Windows 7 yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2009, 03:08 PM
 
Location: Chicago
526 posts, read 943,048 times
Reputation: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Aero's hardware requirements are overblown. I have a $100 video card that's two years old and has no problem running Aero on two 1080x1050 LCDs. Vista's performance score gives it a 5.9 for desktop/Aero performance and a 5.1 for 3D gaming. Even the video built into this board (Intel 965 chipset, also 2 years old) runs Aero just fine on a single 1080x1050 LCD.
thats great for you! *claps hands*
but if you look not many cards pre 2006 have pixel shader 2.0 or higher,
myne sure doesnt.
but it does run everyday tasks with 128mb
point is looking at ubuntu for instance it has impressive graphics that my card can run and its circa 2004 so yes aero graphics requirements are a bit assanine
with that said vista still rocks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:06 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top