Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2009, 02:40 AM

573 posts, read 796,177 times

Advertisements

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ub...il/000122.html
DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.
Linuxtracker Index->Torrents

Version 9.04

The newest versions of the most popular Linux distribution, Ubuntu, have been released.

New update versions of other Ubuntu-based Linux distros like Crunchbang and Linux Mint should be following soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 05:29 PM

Ubuntu 9.04 as slick as Windows 7, Mac OS X | Business Tech - CNET News

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNET News - Business Tech

In short, Ubuntu is now as slick and beautiful as Mac OS X or Windows 7.

Old 05-16-2009, 12:13 PM

715 posts, read 1,145,427 times
Just installed Ubuntu 9.04. It's great! And fast too. Also installed another Ubuntu fork called gOS ("Good OS") on one PC. Very nice too! I'm staying with these two for awhile.

Removed Linux Mint from all my PCs. Had problems with Flash and Youtube after the last update. Then the main Mint developer politicized the distro by adding his personal views on the Israel/Palentinian problem. Actually asked people NOT to use nor contribute to Linux Mint if they didn't agree with him.

So instead of trying to figure out the flash/youtube problem, I honored his request and removed Mint and replaced it with Ubuntu. I'm much happier now.

Old 05-18-2009, 04:55 PM

1,293 posts, read 4,980,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastninja500 View Post
Just installed Ubuntu 9.04. It's great! And fast too. Also installed another Ubuntu fork called gOS ("Good OS") on one PC. Very nice too! I'm staying with these two for awhile.

Removed Linux Mint from all my PCs. Had problems with Flash and Youtube after the last update. Then the main Mint developer politicized the distro by adding his personal views on the Israel/Palentinian problem. Actually asked people NOT to use nor contribute to Linux Mint if they didn't agree with him.

So instead of trying to figure out the flash/youtube problem, I honored his request and removed Mint and replaced it with Ubuntu. I'm much happier now.
Thats wierd, I tried going back to Ubuntu and still had the same flash problems I did back with versons 7.x. I always used Mint because flash and all the codecs were installed right. I ended up uninstalling Ubuntu 9.04 and put the new Mint rc back on.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese9988 View Post
Thats wierd, I tried going back to Ubuntu and still had the same flash problems I did back with versons 7.x. I always used Mint because flash and all the codecs were installed right. I ended up uninstalling Ubuntu 9.04 and put the new Mint rc back on.
When Ubuntu-based CrunchBang 9.04.01 is released, give that one a try. Even though it is a minimalist distro
(no desktop icons), it is easy to use and has better support for Flash and media codecs than any distro I've tried.
It is also a lot faster and resource-frugal than Mint or Ubuntu.

BTW, the reason for the delayed CB release is that the distro maintainer (corenominal) is on his honeymoon.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:31 PM

65 posts, read 35,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis702 View Post

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ub...il/000122.html
DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.
Linuxtracker Index->Torrents

Version 9.04

The newest versions of the most popular Linux distribution, Ubuntu, have been released.

New update versions of other Ubuntu-based Linux distros like Crunchbang and Linux Mint should be following soon.
I already downloaded that version and couldn't find any significant differences to the last stable kernel.
Not sure what the big improvement is supposed to be, but I like Ubuntu anyway. So no complaint.

Old 05-20-2009, 03:22 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,248,131 times
For flash problems, try reinstalling the flash component in the package manager. I think its "Swfdec."

Also, there should be two flash packages, one for ubuntu and one for gnome. Install both and it should work.

I like it, especially with compiz.

Old 07-01-2009, 03:16 PM

62 posts, read 240,612 times
Red face Ubuntu 9.04 printing - Ubuntu/Linux neophyte

Does anyone here have any suggestions for getting a computer to print to a Xerox network Phaser? I found some careful instructions online, but they say to choose the drivers I downloaded, but I am not given a choice. Other instructions said to put files in the CUPS/Drivers folder, but I am not allowed to do that either. It says I'm not root. But I've just installed the OS from scratch, why am I not root?

I looked in terminal, and it says use sudo not root, but I'm not sure how to get it to unlock those files. The frustrating thing is I did this successfully on an old system about a month ago, but have no idea how!!!

I'm trying not to be completely hopeless/helpless. Any suggestions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers