U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 09:00 AM

652 posts, read 1,602,091 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the advice, I was worried about that but my hands are tied. Don't suppose you can give me an idea of what to expect when I start this program.
Ok I'm going to get some free wireless and download a couple programs. I just hope the email I want to find isn't overwritten when I get to scanning.
I'll update you guys later.
Thanks for the help.

Last edited by nutleynut; 04-26-2009 at 09:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 10:43 AM

Default I give up

I downloaded the pc inspector and it was worse than useless. It did nothing. After several rtuns with no results I deleted it.
I then used the "recover files" from the Pandora site and it seemed to find files but they were mostly 2-3 days old, and I could not open any of them. I also could not figure out what else to do with it. I think I got what I paid for:-p
If I win the lotto maybe I'll pay a geek but I suspect the coalman is probably right I am overwriting the files I want to save with every keystroke.
Thank you for the support folks. We can let this thread die now.

Old 04-26-2009, 02:18 PM

28,645 posts, read 40,622,302 times
Not quite yet. You're using the wrong part of the program.

Here's how things work in the deleted/not deleted but missing because of reformat, etc.

When a file is deleted the first character of the file is changed, and that character is always the same, that's it. File recovery programs search for that character; that's how they find deleted files.

Your files have NOT been deleted, they have been lost. Lost because you overwrote the MFT (Master File Table) when you redid the OS.

This is the reason I recommended the program I found. It lets you scan the drive for file data. The easiest to find, obviously, is text data. A file from NotePad, Word, etc. these are simple because you either see the data as you scan the system with the program, or you search for a know fragment in the file. I'm not sure if finding email will be that simple because email is usually saved in a special format, often in a single file containing multiple emails.

I downloaded and am running the program. With the wizard running you want to choose the Deep Scan option as it is the one that finds files after a reformat, etc. At the next screen you can either leave all file types checked or narrow the search. Open each file type and look at what is included; that will help you decide whether you need all or just some of the choices.

Unless you specifically want to find graphics files you should not choose them, you will recover files that are downloaded from browsing the Internet, and there will likely be a lot of them.

Old 04-26-2009, 05:47 PM

I'm not able to remove my drive and slave it. I ran it as is and it only went back 2 days. I reloaded last week.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:27 AM

11,750 posts, read 11,317,384 times
Tek just told you what to do to get back what you can. All you're seeing is what has been marked by Restore points (probably). Follow his directions and you are bound to find something.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:33 AM

16,308 posts, read 25,273,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutleynut View Post
I'm not able to remove my drive and slave it. I ran it as is and it only went back 2 days. I reloaded last week.
Simply put, if you cannot do this, then everything you do on the computer (booting, posting here, downloading, etc. etc.,) has the possibility of overwriting files that still exist but don't have a directory entry.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:30 AM

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change..... And so it goes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or