U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 12:02 PM

652 posts, read 1,602,091 times

Advertisements

I have a Sattelite A135-4656. I reloaded the recovery discs to correct a problem I was having and found the info I saved to a stick wasn't on the stick! I screwed that up. I want all the emails I lost, it is very important to me, blah blah blah.
I found a place locally that will apprently use software to look at my system and see if anything is there to be saved. That's $99. If there is anything, to recover it and copy to a disc it is $100 more. I don't know if this is a good price, but I'd pay it if I thought I'd get my info back.

My thought posting here is that I might be able to do this myself and learn something to boot. Can someone explain to me how I might do this? Is this software available for less than the $199 quoted me? What is a good way to accomplish what I want? I know data is there, I just want to be sure it is recovered w/o further corrupting it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 12:52 PM

15,210 posts, read 18,498,503 times
$199 is pretty cheap, if they can actually do it. Since you've already reinstalled the operating system, though, I'd say that the odds are better than 50/50 that you're screwed. If any portion of each of the files you need has been overwritten on the hard disk by the new install, you won't be able to get the file back intact. The best you'd be able to do would be to get a partial, corrupt version of the file.

I would seriously consider just how badly you need that data. In all likelihood, you'll pay the $99 just to find out that they can't help you.

Old 04-24-2009, 03:35 PM

28,645 posts, read 40,622,302 times
Look for a hexadecimal scanning program for retrieval. You might find a free one at download.com, filehippo.com, or tucows.com.

The old Norton Suite from years (and years) ago had one included. It would put the data on a split screen with the hex code on the left and the data on the right. You could manually scroll through the entire disk, or search for a specific string. You could also edit and save the changed data.

We used to change one of the messages on the drives to tell people that they had just formatted the disk when in fact they didn't. God that was fun!

Old 04-24-2009, 03:42 PM

That aint right:-} So how old of a Norton has it. I got some back to 03 I think

Old 04-24-2009, 03:45 PM

I'm talking in the 80's. Windows 3.x and DOS.

Here's one that might fit the bill:

Pandora Recovery - Free software downloads and reviews - CNET Download.com

From the description:

"Pandora Recovery allows user to browse and search the tree of deleted files where show deleted items only button comes handy. Finally, it has ability to scan drive clusters, picking up files whose MFT record has been reused by OS, damaged or recreated (it can restore files on formatted drives)."

And I remembered the error message we changed. It is the one you get when you leave a diskette in the drive and boot. The one about "non-system disk, please insert a system disk and restart". We would change the message then put a non-bootable dikette in the drive so when they started the PC the next morning they'd get the message about the drive being formatted.

Old 04-24-2009, 03:52 PM

I'll let you know what I choose and how it works out.
Thanks Again

As I was posting someone forwarded back to me some of the most important emails I wanted.

Old 04-25-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutleynut View Post
I'll let you know what I choose and how it works out.
Thanks Again

As I was posting someone forwarded back to me some of the most important emails I wanted.
A remote backup system that works!

Old 04-25-2009, 01:46 PM

Default a little

Old 04-26-2009, 08:20 AM

Ok so I downloaded a couple programs from Pandora then deleted one and I haven't used the other. Recover Files Setup. How do I find out for myself if the program is safe to open? If I scan it with AVG I don't suppose it will know.
What will happen if/when I run it? I'm worried I might lose what I have now and I don't have anydiscs to backup right now, I'd have to go back to OEM again. Wow I'm really gun shy.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:37 AM

40,293 posts, read 41,843,525 times
I recovered the entire contents of My Documents and some other relevant files off a drive that was reformatted using pc inspector a few years back BUT and this is big but the drive was just freshly reformatted and they didn't use it. Data is never gone until it's overwritten by something else so downloading, using the internet or even using the software from the same disk you're trying to recover from is posing the hazard of overwriting what you're trying to recover. Even turning it on and using it....

If the computer you are using right now is the one that contains the lost data I'd suggest turning it off. Download pc inspector or some other recovery software to different computer. Connect the drive to the other computer, when you boot the other computer you'll be able to perform operation on the drive without overwriting anything.

If you just want to go for it without doing that... Pc inspector and the others perform much the same way. They scan the drive for data, they'll find files, fragments of files and all kinds of goodies. From there you can restore them, at the very least I'd suggest restoring them to a drive other than the one you're trying to restore.

FYI, if you're using outlook express for email the extension for the files you're seeking are .dbx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or