Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 10:32 PM

176 posts, read 638,748 times

Advertisements

One last option is to burn the software CD at the lowest possible burn speed, on your laptop or at an Internet kiosk computer. I've found that helps non-reading drives, read better. Let us know how it goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 07:24 AM

652 posts, read 1,785,346 times
can I copy my OS (vista home basic) from the laptop? That would allow me to write and print which is what I need.
Oh yea my printer HP deskjet 300 software disc can't be read by the laptop! apparently it isn't compatible for Vista.
What a load of........Errrrr!?
My job today is to get a stack of good quality recordable discs. I think I can go downtown for the free internet and download some program for the printer that is vista compatable. I guess HP should probably supply me one if I ask, NO?

Old 04-26-2009, 07:31 AM

The short answer is no. OS's like Vista are not copyable in that way.

If you want to run the Vista installation disc on your PC, then the laptop people had to have given you an original OEM installation disc of Vista. Usually nowadays they give a System restore CD that has the Vista embedded into it (not an install CD unto itself and non-transferable across systems).

To help you better I need to know your System specs, and what is, and is not working on the PC you are trying to build (Ethernet, CD-rom drive?).

Keep in mind too my friend, that Vista won't run well on older Legacy systems that you are building.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:35 AM

Is HP Deskjet 300 the exact name of your printer by the way?

Old 04-26-2009, 08:05 AM

Nope, that's the series. It is a F380 all in one. I think I am weakening and may just go ahead and pay the ten bucks some guy wants for Win xp pro, claims it comes with the product key. He is going to burn them so I think it isn't strickly legal. If it is I'll avoid it.
No one has responded to my ad in CL Wanted with the original OS requested they all want to sell me Linux or some other system. I'd like to keep it legal so I haven't accepted any of the offers. I know linux is free but I'd like to stay with what I know for now. That Vista idea was reallyu just an idea, I hate this OS as it is so slow and bloated.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:29 AM

I see "HP Deskjet F300 Series" if you go to Control Panel > Printer > Add Printer.

I'm all for the legal OS route too, and definitely not a Linux fan.

Let me know what happens.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:36 AM

5,068 posts, read 10,131,243 times
I've heard good things about some versions of Linux. One that stands out in my mind is Mint.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:38 AM

Ok now when I boot up it is recognizing the printer as new hardware but won't recognize or read the HP software disc. I quit before getting any further.
Weirdness I went to download the software for vista at the free wireless spot where I go for large files ex; AVG, with the laptop and it wouldn't. But the file did begin to download over the dialup before I went down there.
I reopened the page and started from scratch at the wireless spot. I'm testing if I can get it started again by dialup right now. Maybe I needed to restart before trying again after aborting the first run? But that doesn't make sense even to me.
OK the file run or save window opened just now so the page does work. weirdness!

Old 04-27-2009, 12:12 PM

Ok I had a thought and I went with it. I just plugged the printer into the laptop and it works! The laptop had the software in it. Well now at least I can print. I think I'm goint to just pull my hard drives from the towers and get rid of em. I can eventually transfer all that data and I'll be upgraded. I'll have a lot more room as well!

Old 04-27-2009, 12:54 PM

16,673 posts, read 15,668,595 times
I think part of the trouble you have had is that Windows 98 did not offer USB support until Second Edition. In addition, I saw lots of CD drives back in Win 98 days that would not recognize a burned CD and would only work with factory made ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers