U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2009, 07:25 PM

571 posts, read 1,150,352 times

Advertisements

I have a Dell desktop computer that I bought less than a year ago. Something is going on with my CD drive. When I burn CDs, it goes through the entire program, finalizes the disc, ejects the disc, tells me that the burn was successful. I always use good quality discs. When I flip the "recorded" disc over, there is material etched onto the disc. But when I try to play it back, nothing happens. I tried four different players, but the disc didn't play in any of them. I tried three different programs to burn the disc. The last time I burned a disc (a few months ago?) it worked fine.

I don't know if this is a coincidence, but the one time it did work was when I used a CD-RW instead of a CD-R.

What's going on here?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 08:24 PM

16,308 posts, read 25,273,417 times
I assume you are burning audio CD's?

Can your computer 'see' (windows explorer show list) or 'play' (windows media player) them?

Old 04-27-2009, 08:45 PM

Yes, I am referring to audio CDs. The computer will not play the discs.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:53 PM

16,308 posts, read 25,273,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1 View Post
Yes, I am referring to audio CDs. The computer will not play the discs.
Does windows explorer show anything on the disk?

Have you selected the option to have the burning program 'verify' the CD after burning?

Have you burned 'data' disc successfully?

Specifically what programs are you burning with?

Old 04-28-2009, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Does windows explorer show anything on the disk?

Have you selected the option to have the burning program 'verify' the CD after burning?

Have you burned 'data' disc successfully?

Specifically what programs are you burning with?
It does not show anything on the disc. I didn't see a "verify" option, but there is a "finalize" option, which is checked. I also tried slower burn speeds, but that didn't work, either. I can't answer the third question as I am out of discs at the moment

Specific programs tried were itunes, Windows Media Player, and Roxio. I know that these programs aren't great. My husband just tried three burns with itunes. The first two worked, but the third one didn't. I had Nero on my old computer and was very happy with it. I'm going to download the trial version to see if that works.

Thanks for your help!

Old 04-28-2009, 09:32 PM

1,597 posts, read 1,690,665 times
What kind of CD are you using? CD-R, or CD-RW?

It's always been my understanding that CD-Rs have to be used when making audio CDs because they can only be burned once. Hence the finalization required to 'lock them' and make them playable on your computer or stereo.

Also, when you're burning the CD, are you using the "Make a music CD" option (or similar), or are you choosing the option which simply allows you to burn data files?

Old 12-10-2016, 09:19 PM

1 posts, read 532 times
I just bought my hp laptop computer yesterday and I am trying to burn a cd but it will not burn it does not even show there is a cd in at all

Old 12-11-2016, 08:14 AM

2,908 posts, read 1,708,175 times
First, reboot. Try again. If no go, go to device manager (google for instructions) and see if the drive is recognized (google for how).

Alternative is to take the thing back to the store.

The problem could also be software. What are you using to burn?

Old 12-11-2016, 05:00 PM

4,255 posts, read 637,418 times
I use UltraISO for burning CDs.

Old 12-12-2016, 02:04 PM

4,373 posts, read 9,522,241 times
CD burners are very finicky. I bought a brand new Lenovo laptop last year, and sometimes it won't even recognize that a CD burner is present. I would never burn anything onto a CD/DVD anyway (I only use the drive for watching DVD movies), so I never bothered to look into it or have it fixed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers