U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2009, 08:09 PM

1 posts, read 5,856 times

Advertisements

Odd but true, I have a computer in my garage, along with 8 other garages (Apt. Complex) no internet. Media only. My light bulb blew out and killed power to the whole stip of garages..hence crash computer. Once power was restored computer says "Detecting IDE Drives..." But thats it, all it does is sit and read for hours. I only got one response from it, trying early to figure out the problem, the only option it gives on screen is to "press delete to exit setup", had to press key several times to get to work but entered BIOS... Well, I dont play with that stuff, so exit out to reboot and more of the same.. "Detecting IDE Drives..." But thats it, all it does is sit and read for hours. Could the Master Drive w/OS be fried..??
Don't want too.. but it won't hurt my feelings if need to format and reinstall OS , or if need, on other drive.. All Help Appreciated..

Will check back tonight..tomorrow..Thanx

Win XP
2-40GB hard drives (set correct)
2.66 gHz
1GB Memry

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 10:00 AM

28,631 posts, read 40,613,958 times
If the PC can't detect a drive it can't "see" it at all. This can be caused by a number of things, and the list gets longer if there was a power surge. I am assuming there is no surge protection in these garages?

Lack of detection can, indeed, be a blown drive, but it can also be generated by a motherboard if it has been damaged, by a bad data cable, by a poor connection, either at the mobo or the drive at the data cable, by a bad power cable to the drive, and I might be missing one or two.

You need to determine if the drive is spinning at power up. This can be done, sometimes by simply listening or touching, but you have two drives, so you would have to distinguish between the two. I recommend removing the power lead from the non-OS drive then power up and check. The surest way is to remove the drive from the case, keep it connected to the power lead (data cable isn't important to this test), power up, and see if you feel vibration. If you try to move it 90 degrees to the plane of spin it will resist (remember spinng a bike wheel while holding the axle at each then trying to twist it 90 deg to the plane of spin? That resistence).

If the drive is spinning up then test the connections at each end of the data cable (or replace it) by removing the connector, and putting it right back on. This will "refresh" the connection. The simple act of pulling the metal parts away from eacjh other and pushing them back on will scrape the pins clean (or cleaner).

If it's still not being detected then a drive you know is good is the next test. Just connecting it to the power and data cable is enough to test the system when you power up. If a good drive still exhibits the problem test the data cable (I'm assuming by now the power cable is known to be okay) by replacing it. If you can find a cable you know works in another system, that is best.

If, after all this, you still get the "not" detected" message then there's a good likelyhood that the problem lies with the motherboard.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:15 AM

1 posts, read 2,440 times
This is a very GOOD recommendation. I am also facing the same problem with my home Pc. I will try replacing the Data cable . I fear my H.D sholud havenot been crashed. I have a whole lot of data in it........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or