U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 10:35 PM

34,327 posts, read 59,671,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
With all the money you saved, you can buy a good thesaurus to improve your vocabulary by finding a different word than ****.

Wouldn't have to save much...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 07:30 AM

11,750 posts, read 11,317,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryceE View Post
Don't talk like that around my computer, she can hear you know -_-

Computers are a tool yes, but they're much more to me. I'll probably never get married so this is all I got and I like to spoil her with all the new technology
Maybe this should be moved to the Relationships Forum.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:16 AM

526 posts, read 943,048 times
well not all makers are like that i bought an MDG its a canadian company they had a store rite outside of chicago, their pre built but NO BLOATWARE came on the pc nor on the recovery disk. (disadvantage is generic drivers rite out of the box, but searching for them beats uninstalling crapware etc)
suprised as i was, i was happy now my friend has an emachines i said damn it takes almost 2 hours to install and wait for the trial software to load

Old 04-29-2009, 11:27 AM

588 posts, read 2,586,682 times
Quote:
There aren't any standardized components. The only hard part to build is the case itself, as I haven't seen any store sell em yet, but for hardware, just select the Laptop portion when searching for hardware.
I'm gonna have to call BS on the ability to "build" your own laptop. There are no standard form factors for laptop mobos, there are no standard form factors for cases. Many of the cables used to interconnect the internal components are non-standard, or situated at different locations. Getting everything to fit together perfectly is key for a laptop; in a desktop, you can have a jumble of cables and it will still work fine.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:17 PM

215 posts, read 538,929 times
I never said it would be a small laptop XD. For all you know I could of modded a microatx desktop and attached an lcd to the side of it and have that modded to opened like a laptop would. But it is possible to build your own laptop if you got the time, money, resources to do so. It is a LOT more complicated than building a desktop, but even a desktop you hide the wiring. I spent literally 20 hours on wire management for my pc. Almost no wires are see whatsoever.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:47 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,348,910 times
Quote:
I spent literally 20 hours on wire management for my pc. Almost no wires are see whatsoever.
I spent literally 2 seconds on wire management and I don't see any wires either. It's called a solid metal case that slides closed.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:07 PM

28,645 posts, read 40,622,302 times
I'll say it again. This forum is becoming quite the entertainment venue.

So how about a laptop build? Lets see......

Datamancer.net - Technical Art and Steampunk Contraptions

Yeah, that should suffice.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:13 PM

28,645 posts, read 40,622,302 times
If you prefer a "desktop"

SteamPunk Frankenstein Computer Photo Gallery - Photo 4 of 86 by Dana Mattocks - MySpace Photos

And just to whet your appetite

The Steampunk Workshop | Technology and Romance - Sustainable Rebellion

Google

There are some very creative people around

Old 04-30-2009, 06:24 PM

830 posts, read 2,597,255 times
Quote:
I haven't bought a pre-built computer in years and I'm just trying to get more people on board. I mean ANYONE with half a brain can build a computer, so why don't they -_-

You say that because you know how to do it and have the interest. Most people don't care about any of that stuff. All they care about is they press the power button, it comes on, they get their email, and then they turn it off.

They don't care about drive speeds, or RAM speeds, or power supplies, or motherboards, or this or that and all of the other stuff. They have zero interest. So they buy a pre-built machine because for a few hundred dollars they can get a machine that does everything they need it to do, and all they had to do is type in their credit card number, open the box when it arrives at their doorstep, and plug it in. Done.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:36 PM

620 posts, read 1,884,489 times
LET'S FACE IT. Not everybody has the same interests, especially when it comes to computers. Some people are in it for the intellectual challenge of the computer itself. Others just want the computer as a tool to effect a means to an end. Still others, have no idea about any of it, but "that Internet sounds interesting. Let's buy a computer" is their motivation.

Besides, even if you poured your whole life into recruiting boycotters, you could never get enough people to even get noticed by any of the companies' management. Your argument is ludicrous on its surface. Your beef is with Windows Vista and add on bloatware, not brand name computer makers.

Vista is bloated spaghetti code. You want to use it? Get a butt load of RAM and have at it.

Don't like deleting free trial bloatware? Fresh format and install from scratch or build your own, as you have done.

Your argument makes little sense to me. I don't see how anyone can possibly enjoy owning a computer with Vista (or for that matter, any version of Windows) on it, and I can't see how anyone can justify, first, choosing it, and second, doing nothing but complain about it when they could be working with a perfectly good Mac running OS X.

FTR, I'm a technician. Tinkering with hardware is kinda fun, but only if there is a goal at the end, like robot control, or automation of a dynamic process. Building a crap computer to run a crap OS so you can load crap software and, in the end, get your data and your time crapped on just seems to me like a bunch of crap.

But hey, LET'S FACE IT. Not everybody has the same interests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or