U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-20-2009, 09:48 PM
 
4,948 posts, read 16,720,454 times
Reputation: 2867

Advertisements

I have had 2 dell lap tops, xp which was costly, an inspiron 8200, still working, and this 1720 inspiron.
Dell, has always treated me fair, and I would buy from them, weird, I trust them, why, they treated
with both computers great?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-20-2009, 10:21 PM
 
Location: Diaspora
21,540 posts, read 24,677,950 times
Reputation: 8930
Through all my years, most of my computers were built by me. If we had this thread 5 years ago I'd agree with y'all 100%. But as I stated earlier, this was the first PC that I purchased complete in many years. After I plugged in all my cables and monitor (but not the printer) I pressed the button to power it on. It did some start up stuff, stopped to ask me to name and chugged away. It set itself up, it set up all of its own applications, it set up its own internet security and it setup starter copy of office. It found my router, asked for my password and continued on it own. It did all its updates and in under an hour it was ready to go as is. I plugged in my printer and it found my drivers. It loaded them without an issue and printed a test page. So for under $300 it was a great deal. And for the normal user this would be fine. For another $200 I personalized it. Still a great deal. I've been playing with computers for close to 32 years (started with Apple IIGS). And at this time I spend more time programming my microwave than using apps on my computer. And what do we call my Whirlpool Internet Refrigerator (it took longer to set up than the computer)? They are both appliances. At a time I was like you, built the biggest and the fastest. Had to have liquid cooling or had to have enough fans so it would float above the ground. If I didn't have the $500 video card the computer was useless. Lived through my share of LAN parties. In ways I understand where you are coming from, but in time you will change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2009, 10:32 PM
 
11,715 posts, read 36,339,299 times
Reputation: 7514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Winkus View Post
Lemmie think this through.

Apple coolaid... good, tasty, trouble free.

Microsoft coolaid... bad, nasty, full of vile viruses.

Balmer is the new Jim Jones.

Yes, I agree with everything EscapeCalifornia said.
I guess if someone is too stupid not to infect their computer with viruses, they shouldn't use a PC. Just like small children should be kept away from power tools until they learn not to kill themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2009, 12:33 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
215 posts, read 538,732 times
Reputation: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
Through all my years, most of my computers were built by me. If we had this thread 5 years ago I'd agree with y'all 100%. But as I stated earlier, this was the first PC that I purchased complete in many years. After I plugged in all my cables and monitor (but not the printer) I pressed the button to power it on. It did some start up stuff, stopped to ask me to name and chugged away. It set itself up, it set up all of its own applications, it set up its own internet security and it setup starter copy of office. It found my router, asked for my password and continued on it own. It did all its updates and in under an hour it was ready to go as is. I plugged in my printer and it found my drivers. It loaded them without an issue and printed a test page. So for under $300 it was a great deal. And for the normal user this would be fine. For another $200 I personalized it. Still a great deal. I've been playing with computers for close to 32 years (started with Apple IIGS). And at this time I spend more time programming my microwave than using apps on my computer. And what do we call my Whirlpool Internet Refrigerator (it took longer to set up than the computer)? They are both appliances. At a time I was like you, built the biggest and the fastest. Had to have liquid cooling or had to have enough fans so it would float above the ground. If I didn't have the $500 video card the computer was useless. Lived through my share of LAN parties. In ways I understand where you are coming from, but in time you will change.
I'll never chang. I just can't a point in paying the money for something when you can build it yourself cheaper. I just built my family a simple browsing/office/itunes/etc pc for $207 after shipping. It consists of a fairly good cpu, enough for them, Intel C2D E2100 I think it was, 2gb od DDR2 800 RAM, 320gb HDD, CD/DVD Burner, Multicard Card Reader, and a 400w PSU. All for freaking $207. Now, when this was built and setup for them, it came with NONE of the bloatware pre-builts have to try and get you to buy things. Has a fully licensed XP Pro install, Office install and all ready to go with Firefox (disabled IE, it's crap) and aVast anti-virus. All for $207, not including software costs, I had those and valid OEM licenses for them all. Now, you can't say that's a good price now can you? Of course it's not the best and fastest, but it's by far faster than all the crap pre-builts going for $400+.

And another thing I noticed while browsing Craigslist. People are selling old 512mb PCs for upwards of $300. I'm like WTF?! Are they just stupid or trying to scam people.

God, I wish I could just get everyone to build their own computers, it's cheap and EASY if you got a brain that is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2009, 02:19 PM
 
Location: Diaspora
21,540 posts, read 24,677,950 times
Reputation: 8930
B, You are asking people to build thier own and that ok. But if you are going to quote $207 for a new build, then tell people the true cost. Don't just say you had parts and s/w (OS,Apps) just sitting around. Add in the price of the OS, a keyboard, a mouse, speakers, a motherboard (w/ a video card slot). And of course tell them that it takes less than a hour to plug all the hardware together, but takes 3-4 to load the software,drivers and all the associated updates. Then show or tell them how they are getting a better deal than a pre-built for $400+. Go to Office Depots website. They have a HP S3700F for $429.99 (379.99 after rebate with free shipping). Or how about Staples. They have a HP 6838F for $399.99 (free shipping). Craigslist - Its like the housing market; no sense of reality when setting the price. The BTO market is dying. It started to die when ComputerCity (not Circuit City) was gobbled up and when CompUSA went under. Best Buy didn't come in and fill the technology void left by them. Instead, now that they are gone, removed the merchandise that thay carried just to undercut them. Online companies are dropping like flies. Or they are selling the same items under 20 different names/website (in reality its one company).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2009, 03:13 PM
 
12,717 posts, read 18,844,205 times
Reputation: 20472
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryceE View Post
And another thing I noticed while browsing Craigslist. People are selling old 512mb PCs for upwards of $300. I'm like WTF?! Are they just stupid or trying to scam people.
You get some of those idiots, but you also get alot with reasonable prices. On my memphis craigslist board from the last 2 or 3 days:

7 year old Dell Desktop $85
dell desktop (http://memphis.craigslist.org/sys/1181901051.html - broken link)

Old Gateway solo laptop, looks to be circa 2003 or so, $150
Gateway Laptop (http://memphis.craigslist.org/sys/1181658937.html - broken link)

Basic E-machine, $125
for sale emachines computer works (http://memphis.craigslist.org/sys/1181188621.html - broken link)

Pentium 4 Dell, $120
Dell Gx260 PC and 15 inch Monitor (http://memphis.craigslist.org/sys/1180816063.html - broken link)

Compaq Presario $45
Compaq Presario Desktop (http://memphis.craigslist.org/sys/1180381711.html - broken link)

"Used Computer w/Celoron Processor - $100
used celeron computer systems (http://memphis.craigslist.org/sys/1177877796.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2009, 08:38 PM
 
Location: West Michigan
654 posts, read 3,134,578 times
Reputation: 567
I have always built my own PC's. My first computer I built on my own was a PII-400Mhz processor. Those sure were the old days. Being into video editing, I wanted to build a PC to handle that task. Of course in those days it wasn't totally feasible because the hardware at that time wasn't fast enough for the data transfers that video required.

The only PC brand I had bought was a Compaq system, and after some time gave it away to my aunt. I like the freedom of using whatever components I wanted to build the machine I want.

I have built many PC's over the years, including some for friends and family. In 2004 I built a computer for the sole purpose of doing audio and video editing on a 2-monitor system (built with a Intel 3.2Ghz HT system). Still have it to this day and has never failed me. My last computer I built was in Christmas of '07 for my sister.

Im getting the itch now to work on saving up cash to build another PC....this time an HTPC based media server to where I can house all of my video and music on one PC and simply stream it to my TV where I could simply pick what I want to watch and go from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2009, 11:59 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
215 posts, read 538,732 times
Reputation: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
B, You are asking people to build thier own and that ok. But if you are going to quote $207 for a new build, then tell people the true cost. Don't just say you had parts and s/w (OS,Apps) just sitting around. Add in the price of the OS, a keyboard, a mouse, speakers, a motherboard (w/ a video card slot). And of course tell them that it takes less than a hour to plug all the hardware together, but takes 3-4 to load the software,drivers and all the associated updates. Then show or tell them how they are getting a better deal than a pre-built for $400+. Go to Office Depots website. They have a HP S3700F for $429.99 (379.99 after rebate with free shipping). Or how about Staples. They have a HP 6838F for $399.99 (free shipping). Craigslist - Its like the housing market; no sense of reality when setting the price. The BTO market is dying. It started to die when ComputerCity (not Circuit City) was gobbled up and when CompUSA went under. Best Buy didn't come in and fill the technology void left by them. Instead, now that they are gone, removed the merchandise that thay carried just to undercut them. Online companies are dropping like flies. Or they are selling the same items under 20 different names/website (in reality its one company).
You're right about the cost of adding keyboards, mice, monitors, etc in. I see where you're coming from as well. But most users if they already have a computer would most likely just use their old monitors, keyboards, etc and then they'd just need the other parts, which are fairly cheap now if you build your own. And I do believe you are able to install a previously licensed Windows install just by calling Microsoft and telling them you built a new computer and need to transfer the license over. That simple.

And CompUSA isn't totally dead, they just bought TigerDirect out. I was up there a couple days ago and there's a big banner over the TigerDirect name and it said Now owned by CompUSA. They first went under and only became an online retailer. And then there's NewEgg, which btw is awesome. Online parts retailers are still very much alive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2009, 07:12 AM
 
Location: Diaspora
21,540 posts, read 24,677,950 times
Reputation: 8930
As to CompUSA you have it reversed - Tiger Direct owns the CompUSA brand and are using as they see fit. CompUSA update: Tiger Direct retail locations to assume CompUSA name

And now Circuit City is also owned by tigerdirect. Circuit City returns online, now owned by Systemax (Tigerdirect, CompUSA) - 1001 Noisy Cameras

Which are all owned by Systemax
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2009, 07:31 AM
 
Location: Diaspora
21,540 posts, read 24,677,950 times
Reputation: 8930
And back to builds, if you are recycling old parts into a new build then this is a upgrade. Reusing a license is an upgrade. Then yes your $207 is feasable for a low end build. But if you went out and purchased all the parts for a NEW BUILD with NO recycled parts then there is no way for you to come even close to the two computers I listed earlier in this thread. Windows XP Pro OEM full version is $125-$150 by itself. But most people at this point in time either have a job that pays real well or live at home (thus having liquidity).

And as to Newegg the OS is $140 at thier site. Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP3 w/Multilingual User Interface Pack for System Builders - Operating Systems
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top