U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-25-2009, 09:11 AM
 
12,717 posts, read 18,841,622 times
Reputation: 20472

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryceE View Post
And I do believe you are able to install a previously licensed Windows install just by calling Microsoft and telling them you built a new computer and need to transfer the license over. That simple.
The trend now is for companies and microsoft to use OEM copies of the operating system. No disc, and only applicable to the original computer. It only works with the OEM motherboard.

In these cases the OS will not transfer from one system to another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-26-2009, 09:23 PM
 
13 posts, read 77,427 times
Reputation: 16
Dell is still a custom built system... the consumer works with a systems expert to put it together the way they want it. It is easy, enlightening and not nearly as expensive as it should be. Most people don't want speeds and feeds, they want to know what it does for them. Without that, no one gets anywhere... but only half of the people that use PC's would know enough to put one together with any kind of confidence...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2009, 09:30 PM
 
11,715 posts, read 36,336,945 times
Reputation: 7514
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsirish View Post
Dell is still a custom built system... the consumer works with a systems expert to put it together the way they want it.
No, it's not. They only give you very narrow choices. You have no ability to choose your motherboard, case, power supply, or brand of anything when buying from Dell or any other big OEM that "custom" configures PCs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2009, 11:22 PM
 
16,308 posts, read 25,264,005 times
Reputation: 8302
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
No, it's not. They only give you very narrow choices. You have no ability to choose your motherboard, case, power supply, or brand of anything when buying from Dell or any other big OEM that "custom" configures PCs.
Strange definition of 'custom built'. Last time I ordered a Dell, there were boat loads of 'choices', models, sizes, processors, memory, disks, optical disks, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2009, 11:32 PM
 
11,715 posts, read 36,336,945 times
Reputation: 7514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Strange definition of 'custom built'. Last time I ordered a Dell, there were boat loads of 'choices', models, sizes, processors, memory, disks, optical disks, etc.
Go call Dell and tell them you'd like them to use an Intel DG33FBC motherboard, Crucial memory, Antec Earthwatts 500w 80% efficient power supply, WD Velociraptor 150GB hard drive, and a Lian Li case. Let us know what they say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2009, 04:03 AM
 
Location: kcmo
712 posts, read 1,963,384 times
Reputation: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryceE View Post
I say we boycott all pre-built computer companies like Dell, HP, etc. This has been on my mind forever now and I'm just sick of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryceE View Post

Microsoft claims Vista will run on 512mb of RAM and such, but are you ****ing serious. I've went out and bought Vista Ultimate x64 just to prove that you can't do **** on 512mb of RAM. I installed Vista on an older PC that had 512mb of RAM and it ran literally slower than my ****ing Windows 98 crap PC. I then installed 1gb of RAM and tried it out. A little faster, but still it's crap. I've come to the conclusion that you need at least 2gb of RAM to actually do anythign productive on Vista.

Now, about these so called computer companies. Why the **** do you even install Vista on a 1gb of RAM system and on top of that install all that bloatware crap. No one uses ****en Norton or AOL anymore as they're crap and if you do use them, you're asking to be hacked. I would so love it if they could ****en get a brain and put at least 2gb or more of RAM in their systems and get rid of some of the bloatware they install. People literally spend an hour or more uninstalling that crap when they buy the computer because it's so slow -_-. It drives me ****ing crazy.

Anyone with half a brain can build their own computer. For example, I built my current computer for $1200 and it would of literally cost me about $200 or more if I had bought it from a company like HP or Dell. That's because when you buy the parts themselves you can look for deals and get more for your money.

Now, I've talked to both Dell and HP on their live chat systems and have cursed them out for providing crap hardware, crap bloatware installation, etc, etc, etc. I need more people to help me do it. Just harass the **** out of them and maybe they'll get it through their thick skulls, not brains, but skull.

Now, here's my current computer just for the hell of it.

Intel C2D E8400 @ 3ghz Overclocked to 4.16ghz
G.Skill DDR2 1333 4x 2gb of RAM
nVidia GeForce GTX260 Core 216 896mb Graphics
ASUS P5Q SE PLUS x58 ATX Motherboard
Western Digital Caviar Black 1tb 7200rpm 32mb cache x1
Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 32mb cache 750gb x1
Western Digital Elements 500gb 7200rpm external x1
Antec 300 Black Steel Case

Join the PC Revolution!
So let me guess this straight you've swore at a bunch of india tech's for no reason other then to make you feel better?

Cause you think corporations CEO's pay attention to customer chat logs?? if you want to effect change that won't do it..

Your argument makes 0 rational sense when you take into account the fact that we seem to be transitioning to laptops.. because those are custom built with proprietary designs, we have no choice but to choose a PC manufacturer.. and you damn well know that computer builders have been including norton and other crap programs going as far back as 1995 or earlier.. it's a marketing gimmick and I doubt we'll see it go away soon.. unless you can create a more rationalized approach ehh?

Why don't you just pay more to a manufacturer like alientech or something so you cannot have Norton loaded or AOL loaded.. cause I honestly would rather pay $200 to hp for a pc and uninstall or format the box, then $400-600 to some more expensive less software'd system

Alright, I'll just acknowledge you’re on a rant.. and taking a anger position.. but you know anger doesn't bring about change allowing does.. might want to to re-think it a bit..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2009, 06:54 PM
 
16,308 posts, read 25,264,005 times
Reputation: 8302
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Go call Dell and tell them you'd like them to use an Intel DG33FBC motherboard, Crucial memory, Antec Earthwatts 500w 80% efficient power supply, WD Velociraptor 150GB hard drive, and a Lian Li case. Let us know what they say.
What no cup holders? Guess buying a vehicle must be a traumatic event.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2009, 07:18 PM
 
Location: Rochester, NY
1,293 posts, read 4,380,939 times
Reputation: 361
I used to build computers myself. But in the past 5 years I really don't have time to peice something together. I have to many little projects around the house and work takes up the rest of my time. Sometimes people just want to buy a box, turn it on and it works. I may be able to put together a computer, install the software and work the bugs out in a reasonable time, but I really do not think the average Joe can do it. There are people who still struggle with changing their oil, explain the agp slot to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2009, 08:12 PM
 
16,308 posts, read 25,264,005 times
Reputation: 8302
I built the first half dozen or so of my computers, primarily because I could save some serious coin by doing so.

But when I found I could buy Dell servers for less than I could build a comparable computer, and it carried a years warranty, why bother to deal with half a dozen orders, stuff back ordered, wrong stuff shipped, etc. The first Dell I ordered was for $230 with free shipping. At the time I couldn't have come within $150 by piecing it out from various sources.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2009, 12:23 PM
 
Location: Maryland not Murlin
8,193 posts, read 22,571,425 times
Reputation: 6168
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryceE View Post
I haven't bought a pre-built computer in years and I'm just trying to get more people on board. I mean ANYONE with half a brain can build a computer, so why don't they -_-
As stated in various ways, why would they? Whether it would be cheaper and/or more powerful are both nil points when it comes to the fact that most people simply want the connivence of purchasing something pre-built particularly if that pre-built computer is cheap enough and can handle everything they plan to do with it.

Face it; only hobbyists, gamers, college students, and Popular Mechanics editors build their own computers (see link below).

Another point; technically you are only assembling a computer based on pre-manufactured products. Until you start designing and building (or contracting someone else to do so) your own RAM, processors, mobos, etc. you are not building a custom machine.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...o/4318067.html



Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Winkus View Post
But most of all, PCs will never be considered appliance like because no one ever entertains the notion of building their own appliance from component parts. Appliances are dedicated uni-purpose machines. No one ever looks at a microwave and thinks, "Gee! I could get a magnetron tube and a metal box and build my own cheaper than what these guys are wanting."
Aside from probably being illegal, I surely hope that no-one attempts to build their own microwave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryceE View Post

God, I wish I could just get everyone to build their own computers, it's cheap and EASY if you got a brain that is.
I can understand your personal interest, but I am having a hard time wrapping my mind around why you care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:30 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top